A Southern Grace: gaga for greek

March 8, 2008

gaga for greek

Yum

Chances are slim that any of you will ever wander into Liberty, NY, but if you do, and if you like Greek food, you really shouldn't leave until you eat at Yiasou Cafe.

I happened to be in Liberty (incidentally, a fun word to type) last week for work, and the guys that my co-worker and I were meeting highly recommended that we give Yiasou a shot on our way home.


It's a very unassuming little 15-table cafe somewhat hidden alongside a few offices, but I suspect that those tables are full most of the time.

The menu listed your typical Greek fare--souvlaki, gyros, dolmades, spanikopita, etc. My poor co-worker claimed to have had Greek food before, but I could tell he was a bit overwhelmed. He ended up getting a chicken caesar salad, which is fine for him, but boring for me. I got chicken souvlaki, and it was awesome. The chicken was wrapped in a lovely pita (while not the best I've ever had, still yummy) and slathered in tzatziki sauce.


If you're unfamiliar with this cucumber-dill yogurt sauce, you're missing out. It's so cool and creamy, and the perfect compliment to the spices and flavors of the chicken.

My meal was $5.95 and my co-worker's lettuce, chicken, dressing, and cheese (can you tell I'm not a fan of the caesar salad?) was $10.95. I felt the need to balance out the cost (hey, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it), so I ordered some of the amazing-looking baklava that caught my eye immediately when we entered. Friends, it did not disappoint. It was fresh, crispy, sweet, and delightful.

So, if you're ever driving along RT-52, stop in and make your belly happy!

Atmosphere: B (every time someone came in, which was often, a gust of cold, frigid air filled the room)(maybe it was just poor table-selection on my part)
Service: A (even though the waitress said "ji-ro"...)
Food: A+

Opa!

1 comments:

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Liberty? I've been there--it was always an annoying speed trap stuck in the middle of an otherwise uneventful and fast drive! Sadly though, those days have come and gone, so now I'll have to forage for some Greek down here in FL to satisfy the craving you started...