A Southern Grace: get your grape on

October 31, 2016

get your grape on

Yum

Purple is my favorite color, and I think I've talked about that before.


I want all of the purple clothes and jewelry, and if foods are purple, they're automatically more appealing to me. When I saw this chicken and grapes dish on Tastes Lovely in all of its purple glory, I was inspired to make it immediately.


Although my dish tragically didn't turn out quite as purple (maybe she used concord or black grapes?), it still tasted SO good. I love the sweet pop of the grapes, and sauce is very savory and, dare I say, luxurious. The chicken drumsticks I used were from my Butcher Box, and they were extremely meaty and flavorful--I'm not sure I've ever had chicken that tasted quite so...chicken-y. It was a good thing.


In hindsight, I think some fresh thyme would be excellent to finish this meal and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me at the time. Every dish needs some green (and purple)!

Chicken with the Wrong Grapes
(printable recipe)
Serves 2-4
Ingredients:
  • 4 bone-in skin-on chicken drumsticks
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 cups seedless grapes
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in cold water
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F with the oven rack in the middle. Heat a cast iron (or heavy bottom skillet) over medium high heat.
Pat the chicken drumsticks dry with a paper towel to remove any moisture, allowing them to get a crispy, golden skin. Season both sides of the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
When the skillet is hot, add the olive oil and the chicken thighs skin side DOWN. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the skin is crispy, golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and transfer to a plate skin side UP.
Add the sliced onion and pepper to the warm skillet, and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are starting to soften.
Add the chicken stock and mustard. Stir to combine, and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Add the chicken back in to the skillet skin side UP (so it stays crispy), then add in the grapes around the chicken.
Braise the chicken in the oven until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees with an instant read thermometer, about 15-20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and take the chicken out of the skillet.
Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce and heat it over medium heat until a boil is reached and it begins to thicken.
Put the chicken back into the skillet to warm through, then serve.

13 comments:

Summer said...

Looks delish! Fantastic idea♥

Angie's Recipes said...

Chicken and grape..I have never tried this combo. It sounds and looks so delicious, Grace.

Pam said...

I've roasted grapes once but haven't tried them with chicken. It looks like a tasty meal.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Grace, I bet roasted grapes are delicious, love this combo.

Marjie said...

I have made ham in a Sauce Veronique, which I believe is a fancy way to say "with hot grapes." Your chicken looks great!

Królowa Karo said...

Chicken with grape? I have to try it!

Juliana said...

This chicken dish with grapes sounds delicious Grace...especially that I never imagine adding fresh grapes in chicken dish...now seeing this, I sure will try...thanks for the recipe.
Have a wonderful week :)

Marcelle said...

Grace, I enjoy roasted grapes mixed in with some vanilla yogurt as a dessert treat. I never thought about mixing them with chicken, but it sounds very tempting. I love how you've combined fresh fruit with lovely cuts of meat in some of your posts lately, it sure makes for some gorgeous dishes! Sounds interesting and I'll have to give this one a try :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I don't mind a spot of purple too! It looks like a really lovely dish I have to say :D

Carolyn Jung said...

Grapes are so wonderful in savory dishes like this. They go great with pork, too. It's so rare to get chicken that actually tastes of chicken these days. Lucky you to get some that were raised with care.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I'm not normally a fan of a drumstick, but after reading this I would gladly try one of these!

Adina said...

I love chicken and I love grapes, but never thought of combining them! I have to do it!!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

This brought back vague memories of a dish I had made with chicken and grapes. I recall t was delicious, so I think I'll have to try this!