A Southern Grace: classics are classics for a reason

October 13, 2016

classics are classics for a reason

Yum

There are as many recipes for brownies as there are stars in the sky. That might be an exaggeration, or it might not.


Would you blacklist my blog if I told you I didn't really like brownies? I hope not. Maybe I'll come back around to them one day, but for now, they remain in the "fine, but not for me" section of my mental food filing system. My husband, however, is a fan, and he suggested that I make some. While these weren't exactly what he had in mind (we decided he was after the kind similar to that which comes from a mix and that he had as a kid), he thought they were certainly good enough to eat.

I know this recipe has a lot of history and has been made oodles of times. Every baker worth her salt has probably tweaked it in some way in the past. Since I always strive to be worth my salt, I made a few adjustments--I doubled the flour, omitted the nuts, increased the vanilla, and used dark cocoa powder. The resulting bars were very moist and dense and rich, and I think I could've gotten away with adding even more flour.


If you enjoy the kind of brownies that stick to the back of your teeth and aren't too sweet, this is your recipe. If, like my husband, you prefer the kind that's made from scratch but has the taste and texture of those made from a mix, well, stay tuned. I'm on the case.

Katharine Hepburn's Brownies, Made My Way, To My Husband's Tastes
Adapted from this recipe
(printable recipe)
Makes 9
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa)
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • Pinch of salt
Directions:
Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
Melt butter in saucepan with cocoa and stir until smooth.
Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a large bowl.
Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine sugar, flour, and salt.
Add to the cocoa-butter mixture. Stir until just combined.
Pour into a greased 8 x 8-inch-square pan.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Do not overbake; the brownies should be gooey.
Let cool, then cut into bars.

15 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I just love how DARK and moist these brownie bars look! YUM!

Pam said...

I have never been a huge fan of brownies either... I only like chocolate in small doses. Crazy right? My kids and husband on the other hand, love dark decadent chocolate desserts and these brownies would make them thrilled! They are perfect for Halloween.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Those are seriously dark!

I like my brownies with chunks in them - chocolate, nuts, caramel, I don't mind. But not unrelenting cake.

Marjie said...

Were they really that black? Or did you photoshop out the color? The recipe sounds wonderful, but the color disturbs me just a little bit.

Juliana said...

Wow Grace, this brownies sure look dark...really dark. I love the idea of gooey...yum!
Hope you are having a great week :)

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I'm a dark chocolate kind of person. I should try these with whole wheat flour...

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Dang, those are dark!!
I think for the first time, I differ with you on a food. I do love a good ol' brownie, but I think I fall into the same category as your husband. I strive for that brownie that reminds me of the old box mix kind I grew up loving.

scrambledhenfruit said...

I do love brownies, and these look like they're right up my alley. Dark chocolate...Gooey...YUM! :)

Food Gal said...

Wow -- I don't think I've ever known anyone who didn't love brownies. But what a thoughtful wife you are to bake them for your husband.

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

Well great minds think alike - I have a brownie recipe that I am posting this week. Sisters in brownies! Yours look fabulous, and I will eat ALL the brownies for you. :)

Tania| My Kitchen Stories said...

I love brownies but I don't like them too moist. I know I am strange. These look deadly Grace. So dark and dense. i am sure you would have loads of takers for them

Barbara said...

No, not blacklisting you! I am not a chocolate-lover either! These are the darkest brownies I've EVER seen and also, I've never seen Katherine Hepburns recipe! So this was news to me. When I make them for the kids I make my SIL's recipe, very dense and kind of chewy around the corners.
Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

grace said...

@Marjie: no photoshop was used! :0

Adina said...

They are definitely the darkest I have ever seen! I'd love one (at least) right now.

Sveva said...

So, my first thought when I saw these delectable treats was, does baking them that way really enhance the chocolate flavor really deeply? Will I be surrounded by little chocolate fairies, hoping for a morsel? More importantly, will the chocolate ogress who lives in my home be satisfied with the richness of this chocolate dessert? Any suggestions for gilding the lily?