A Southern Grace: envy apple envy

October 20, 2016

envy apple envy

Yum

Does your grocery store carry Envy apples? If not, you're out of luck. If so, buy some immediately!


The Envy apples in my grocery store come from New Zealand, so while they're definitely not local, they're still so good I can't help but buy them. Sweet and crisp and juicy and flavorful, they're by far my favorite apple right now.


Since Envy apples are so delicious to eat out of hand, I thought I might as well try them in a recipe too. I found a pretty delicious-looking loaf cake that seemed like it would work well as a round cake, and it did indeed turn out wonderfully. The cake tries its best to fall apart as you remove a slice, but if you can keep it together long enough to get it onto a plate, it becomes a very attractive and tasty fall dessert.


Ice cream not required, but (as almost always) recommended.

Wondrous White Cake with Cinnamon Apples
(printable recipe)
Serves 10-12
Ingredients:
Filling:
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups peeled, cored, and chopped apples (about 2 small apples or 1 large apple)
Cake:
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour or spray a 9-inch cake pan; set aside.
To make the filling, in a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the chopped apples and toss to coat; set aside.
To make the cake, in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add dry mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Mix only until just combined.
Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan.
Top with half of the apple mixture and gently press into batter.
Spoon remaining cake batter over the apple layer, smooth out evenly and top with remaining apple mixture and gently press into the batter.
Bake for around 40-45 minutes until golden and firm, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan 15 minutes, then, if desired, turn cake out onto a rack to cool completely.

18 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Cinnamon and apple always work for me..this is a great Fall dessert, Grace.

Velva said...

Apples and cinnamon what a wonderful flavor combination. Love your cake recipe. I have not seen envy apples in my local grocery store. I must pay more attention :-)

Velva

Pam said...

I've never heard of Envy apples but will be on the lookout for them now. I have friends coming for dinner on Saturday... I think I may just make this for dessert! Bookmarked.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Grace, i have never heard of envy apples but if I ever come across some I will buy them. Love the way the crumb looks on your cake, looks perfect!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cake looks irresistible!

Cheers,

Rosa

scrambledhenfruit said...

I haven't see Envy apples, but now I'll be looking for them. The cake looks wonderful! :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I don't think I've seen Envy ones here. What are they like? Some of the new apples are so delicious. Have you tried Jazz apples? They're so crisp and juicy!

Barbara said...

I'm going to my Fresh Market this morning and will look to see if they carry Envy apples. If not, perhaps Whole Foods might.
Love apple cakes, especially served with vanilla bean ice cream. And that's what it looks like in your mouth watering photo! those little speckles. A beautiful soft crumb on your cake, Grace. Looks divine.

Jackie Garvin said...

I was introduced to Envy apples at Produce Marketing Association's trade show this weekend. They're unforgettable. Nice post.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I'll take a slice. With ice cream, please!

Gloria Baker said...

I love all with apples !
This look amazing !

Marsha | Marsha's Baking Addiction said...

This cake sounds wonderful! I love apple cake!

Beth said...

I'll have to check for Envy apples. I don't remember seeing them, but now I know what I'm looking for! Apple desserts are the best, and your cake looks wonderful.

Carolyn Jung said...

This looks perfect for breakfast, too. I know, it's cake. But heck, it has plenty of fruit in it. ;)

Marjie said...

I'd been thinking of making an applesauce meringue cake for my birthday tonight. But maybe I'll try this instead, with some Gala apples I have. That would be appropriate for a birthday, right?

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Looks delicious--aren't apples fun! I actually keep notes on (some of) the varieties I've tried so we can re-buy the ones we like best (and avoid a very few "lemons")

Unknown said...

Love how I learn something new every time I visit your site Grace. Snappy crunchy apples are the best, Jazz are my current fav but sounds like I should hunt down some Envy.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a completely different topic but it has pretty much the same
layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!