A Southern Grace: fall feelings

September 8, 2016

fall feelings

Yum

It's funny how I yearn for warmer weather when it's the slightest bit cold but then can't wait for summer to finish its barrage of heat.


Fall is thankfully right around the corner, and I know this because companies are enthusiastically rolling out their pumpkin-flavored products. I've made it clear that while I don't care for pumpkin, I do enjoy pumpkin spice. That said, you can only imagine my delight when I was introduced to Beemster Pumpkin Spice Gouda Cheese.


There are many ways to use this cheese (macaroni and cheese comes to mind), but one that I've found extra appealing is shredding the cheese and simply topping roasted acorn squash with it. The flavor of the pumpkin spice is subtle and complements the mildly earthy squash quite nicely! While I used an acorn squash, I have it on good authority that delicata squash works wonderfully too.


You don't have to add pecans, but I liked their crunch and nuttiness. If you're in full fall-mode, you might toss in some dried cranberries too! Rosemary is my herb of choice for dishes like this, but I think thyme would be tasty too. Honestly, though, you really don't need anything other than squash, salt, pepper, and Beemster Pumpkin Spice Gouda to make something truly tasty. This is the kind of aromatic, flavorful, comforting dish that makes me even more grateful that fall is near.

Roasted Acorn Squash with Beemster Pumpkin Spice
(printable recipe)
Serves 2
Ingredients:
  • 1 acorn squash, halved, seeded, and sliced into 1/2-inch half-rounds
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or a few sprigs of fresh!)
  • 1/2 cup pecan halves
  • 1/2 cup grated Beemster Pumpkin Spice Gouda cheese
Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Toss the sliced squash in the olive oil, then mix in the salt, pepper, and rosemary. Try to make sure all pieces are evenly coated.
Arrange the slices on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil.
Bake 15 minutes, then flip the slices, add the pecans, and bake for 15-20 minutes more, until the squash is tender and slightly browned.
Sprinkle the squash with the shredded cheese, then pop the pan back into the oven just until the cheese melts.
Enjoy immediately!

11 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I have been eating lots of roasted pumpkins lately...totally love your version with Gouda. Awesome flavour, Grace.
Happy Autumn!

Unknown said...

I can't wait for some fall sweater weather :) Love plain roasted acorn, with pumpkin spiced gouda and rosemary that sounds delish. What a great fall dish bet it would be a crowd pleaser at Thanksgiving too!

Pam said...

I love the nuts for texture and adding the cheese is brilliant. I've never thought to do that. YUMMY!

Barbara said...

Super idea for acorn squash, Grace. One of my favorite fall veggies. My mother used to make it with butter and brown sugar, but I'm going to try this.
Fall weather a long way off for us!

Velva said...

I am craving fall!!! beautiful and simple acorn squash dish.

Velva

Alicia Foodycat said...

Unlikely that I will be able to get that cheese, but I might try dusting the squash with spice and using plain cheddar for a similar result!

Marjie said...

I usually use sweet and crunchy toppings for roast squash (maple syrup and pecans, for example), but cheese sounds like a great alternative!

Królowa Karo said...

Interesting! I have to try it!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I've never tried cheese on fall squash. Is that weird? I must be missing out, so need to find this cheese and give it a try!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

So pretty! We have only gotten one winter squash so far this year, Waiting, waiting...

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

oooh that gouda cheese looks so amazing - what a great pairing. I love Fall so much so I'm so pumped whee