A Southern Grace: pl(um cr)umble

September 19, 2016

pl(um cr)umble

Yum

I love a good portmanteau!


Some that have found their way into my everyday language are brunch (obviously), pluot (delicious), zorse (I've seen one!), and hangry (a word to describe me, more often than not). While you won't find plumble in the dictionary, I think it's a perfectly excellent name for this dessert--a plum crumble.

Thank goodness I got turned on to plums this summer--they've been my blog fodder for a few posts* now! They take center stage in this dessert, complemented by a crispy, buttery topping and, as per usual, a scoop of ice cream. I really liked the lemon zest in the filling; I'm not sure how I survived so long without adding lemon juice and zest to SO many things!

*For those of you keeping count, this is my 800th post! No small accomplishment, I'd say. :)


After buying quite a few lemon duds at the grocery store, I was pretty excited to try some huge, juicy Limoneira® lemons from Ventura County, California. With 11,000 acres of agricultural production, Limoneira is the largest provider of lemons and avocados in the United States. Sustainability has been a focus of theirs for over a century with strategic investments in water, solar, soil, and integrated pest management. They're definitely doing something right--their lemons are perfect!


I'm sure this would be equally good with nectarines or peaches, but I'll bet it wouldn't be as pretty! Purple is the best.

Plumble
Adapted from this recipe
(printable recipe)
Serves 6
Ingredients:
Filling:
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 6 ripe plums, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
Topping:
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart dish with nonstick spray.
To make the filling, stir together the sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Fold in the plums and scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the streusel topping. In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
Stir in the melted butter.
Remove the fruit from the oven, then sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
Bake the plumble for 30 minutes, until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden.
Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve.

12 comments:

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Beautiful plumble, clever name. Also 800 posts is no small feat, congratulations Grace!!!!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the cute name :-) and it looks heavenly!

Marjie said...

Your plumble looks delicious, but I wouldn't put it in my suitcase (in French, portmanteau) if I were you. Congrats on Post 800!

Juliana said...

Your "plumble" looks delicious, I like the slightly tart and sweet of the filling with the crunchy topping...perfect with a scoop of ice cream!
Have a great week Grace :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Plumble! I want one!

lynn said...

PLUMBLE! I wish my computer would stop autocorrecting this beautiful word.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Happy 800th post Grace! That's quite an achievement indeed :D And loving this plumble-what a cute name! :D

Marcelle said...

I've said it before, plums are my favorite fruit and this plumble looks like a marvelous idea to me. Gorgeous! :);)

Food Gal said...

Would it be wrong if I ate this for dessert AND breakfast? Hey, it's got fruit, so I think it works quite well at both hours of the day. ;)

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

I love your word inventions :) Hangry has gotten so popular in the last few years. That photo with the ice cream shot is a winner!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic recipe for your 800th! post Grace. So polite of you to use a bowl I would have dug my spoon straight into that juicy plumble :)

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Congrats on #800! I just looked over at your past post list and see you've been going since 2007. Dang, girl! Keep 'em coming. You have me putting new foods on my shopping lists... like plums!