A Southern Grace: almost too pretty to eat #CallAnEatible #SkittlesHomegating

September 27, 2016

almost too pretty to eat #CallAnEatible #SkittlesHomegating

Yum

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, MARS. All opinions are mine alone. #CallAnEatible #SkittlesHomegating #CollectiveBias

What I'm about to write may come as a shock to some of you, so gird your loins: My college didn't have a football team.


Crazy, right? I think it's been scientifically proven that cheering for your school's football team is the #1 way to show school spirit. Ironically, the school where I did my graduate studies has one of the biggest and most well known college football legacies in the entire country...and I didn't attend a single game.


I do love watching football, but more than that, I love eating snacks while watching football. Skittles®, a candy we all know and love, is excited about getting football lovers set to watch any and all games. Eat your wings and chips and guacamole, but don't forget to include something sweet in your spread. It’s time to call an "eatible"*--score some extra points with your friends and families and send in Skittles to bring a colorful surprise to the table! Since teams don’t call the same plays week after week (if they know what's good for them!), the same should go for your game time grub.

*As a lover of plays on words, I'm delighted by this phrase!


Speaking of something sweet, isn't this dessert pizza a stunner? If you can believe it, it's every bit as delicious as it is beautiful. The sugar cookie crust is the ideal base--firm yet tender and perfectly buttery. The cream cheese layer is tangy and slightly sweet, an excellent contrast to the abundant sweetness of the fruit and Skittles. There are many textures, each one more pleasing than the last.


You can pick your favorite fruits for this pizza. It's best to choose ones that don't ooze a lot of juice, like blueberries, grapes, strawberries, or blackberries. Plus, there are endless ways to arrange your fruit and candy. I went for the bulls-eye rainbow effect because that's what pleases my eyes most, but you do you.

I'm very familiar with the candy aisle at Harris Teeter, and that's where I found my bag o' Skittles (and also where I got all of my lovely fruit).


If you enjoy watching football even more than eating food while watching football, I'll bet winning NFL tickets and NFLShop.com gift cards sounds good to you. Be sure to enter the Call an Eatible sweepstakes, and don't forget to satisfy your sweet tooth during the next game!

Rainbow Fruit and Skittles® Pizza
(printable recipe)
Serves 10-12
Ingredients:
Cookie crust:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Filling:
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Toppings:
  • Fresh fruit
  • Skittles®
  • 1/4 cup apricot preserves
  • 1 tablespoon water
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter a rimmed 12-inch pizza pan or 1/4 sheet pan, line with a round of parchment paper and butter parchment paper (or alternately line with foil and spray foil with non-stick cooking spray).
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth.
Mix in egg.
Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; beat into the creamed mixture until just blended.
Press dough into the prepared pan.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Spread evenly on cooled crust.
Arrange fruit and candy decoratively on top of filling.
In a small bowl whisk together preserves and water. Brush mixture over fruit and candy, then serve.
Note: This dessert does not refrigerate well!

Smells gooood. Treat time?

5 comments:

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Cute idea to add matching color skittles to this! I'll bet that would be a huge hit with kids (not that it would be a problem getting them to eat a cookie pizza in the first place).

Unknown said...

Yummy! It's so beautiful how the Skittles hide seamlessly with the colorful fruit. #client

Pam said...

So pretty & festive!! My kids would love it.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Next time my nephew visits, I'm making this. He'll think I am so super cool :)

Adina said...

This reminds me of the only cake my grandma ever made for me, every year on my birthday. She would buy a ready-made base and top it with vanilla pudding and lots of fruits, just the way you did.