A Southern Grace: fail me not #OXOgoodcookies

August 22, 2017

fail me not #OXOgoodcookies

Yum

Impossible Almond Joy pie. Did you know "oxo" was an accepted word on the Words with Friends game? It comes in handy a lot.


OXO also happens to be a manufacturer of kitchen tools, office supplies, and housewares (oh, and baby stuff!), and the items that I've used have never let me down. They're somehow superior to every other brand (sometimes exceedingly so) yet reasonably priced and easy to find. If I have to make a choice between OXO and another brand, I'll always go with OXO! Some of my favorite pieces (and ones I use most often) are the measuring spoons, cutting board, omelet turner, slice set, and angled measuring cup.


As if it weren't enough to make super useful and functional utensils, OXO is also a very charitable company. Cookies for Kids' Cancer was founded by two OXOnians who were inspired by their son Liam's battle with pediatric cancer, a disease which claims the lives of more children in the US than any other disease. Cookies for Kids' Cancer provides inspiration and support to allow anyone to easily get involved in fundraising to find a cure for pediatric cancer. As they do every year, OXO will donate up to $100,000* to support Cookies for Kids' Cancer. They've started a campaign asking bloggers to make sweet treats using some of their tools, and they'll be donating $100 to Cookies for Kids' Cancer for each blog post (up to our $100,000 commitment*.)


*This year, OXO will donate up to $100,000 to Cookies for Kids' Cancer. Cookies for Kids' Cancer is a recognized 501c(3) public charity duly incorporated under the laws of the state of New Jersey. 100% of proceeds raised by Cookies fund pediatric cancer research. Visit https://www.oxo.com/cookies-for-kids-cancer or cookiesforkidscancer.org for more information.


My contribution is the riff on my impossible coconut pie. I've added sliced almonds and a chocolate drizzle to add a little more complexity in its taste and texture. I'm not gonna be modest--this pie is awesome! It baked up beautifully in my OXO pie plate (it has a very easy-to-grip edge which is a feature I appreciate very much!) and the slices came out like a dream with the help of my pie server. You could certainly add a lot more chocolate if you'd like; I prefer the flavor of the coconut to shine through!


I get kind of excited when I have a random idea like this one and it works out so well. It will probably be a long time before I make my regular ol' impossible coconut pie again--riffing on it is too fun!

Impossible Almond Joy Pie
(printable recipe)
Serves 8-12
Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup self-rising flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (7-ounce) bag sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9- or 10-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and add in the cooled, melted butter.
Blend in the sugar, flour, and salt, then whisk in the milk and vanilla until thoroughly mixed.
Stir in the coconut and almonds, then pour into the prepared dish.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until the coconut becomes golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack, then cover and refrigerate.
Before serving, prepare the drizzle by melting together the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave at 50% in 15 second increments.
Drizzle as desired, let set on the cold pie, then slice and serve!

21 comments:

Cali said...


Your Almond Joy Pie looks like perfection!

When my daughter was of trick-or-treating age, I advised that Almond Joy (and Mounds) were horrible and that she should give them to me. One day after school in second grade, I was greeted with: "I had an Almond Joy today and it was good. You LIED to me!" And so the jig is up...

I look forward to giving this recipe a try and actually sharing with my family.

(Love the OXO brand - nice to see a company support a great cause.)

Angie's Recipes said...

My that golden crunchy topping looks sensational! The combo of coconut and almond is unbeatable.

Marcelle said...

Oh. My. Goodness!! I want a big slice right now! Glad to know more about OXO as a company and their products!! I'll definitely check them out next time I'm shopping for kitchen tools!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

This does look delicious! Alas my family (mostly) doesn't do coconut. (I ended up eating your delicious Lazy Daisy cake almost all by myself :) ) There used to be a holiday fundraiser for Cookies for Kids Cancer in Milwaukee that I had baked for. I should see if they still hold it...

Pam said...

I love oxo products!! I also love this almond joy pie...My whole family would dig this one. YUM.

Pam said...

Woo hoo! I love this updated version of the pie. And I like OXO also! In fact, I just bought the OXO Ground Meat Chopper today. It's great, esp for tacos! Great cause they're supporting!

Marjie said...

I always made Impossible Pie with Bisquick when I was a kid; it was one of the few kinds of pie I ever had until I was around 40. This sounds like a great variant on that wonderful classic.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

This pie looks delicious! I'm a big coconut + chocolate fan.

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

This pie looks AMAZING! Completely and totally amazing. I had no idea OXO was such a charitable brand, but now I love them even more :). Have a great weekend!

Katerina said...

Amazing pie! My son and husband would love it!

Emma - Bake Then Eat said...

Oh yummy, like you I too would keep the chocolate to a minimum so the coconut would shine through. I'd love a slice right now.

Gloria Baker said...

Look really delicious Grace!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Kuddos to you for participating in a wonderful event, looks delicious, great recipe.

Food Gal said...

OXO products are phenomenal. I have so many at home I've lost count. But they really are so comfortable to use.

Agness of Run Agness Run said...

This is such a palatable almond pie, Grace! Perfect summer treat!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I'm a big fan of OXO, too. And an even bigger fan of coconut pie in any iteration ;)

Unknown said...

OXO makes the best products, I made the mistake of buying a different brand's can opener and it's already busted, going to stop by the store and get that great smooth edge one by OXO this weekend. Then I'm gonna need to make this pie, it looks delicious, especially that toasted coconut top!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I LOVE Almond Joy, and haven't had one in forever!
P.S. Thanks for the Words with Friends tip! I didn't know about that word :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I have one of their vegetable peelers and it's great! The chicken scissors broke quickly but maybe I got a bad one.

Lou Une aiguille dans l'potage said...

This pie looks so delicious !

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

ohh want to check this out - I love coconut and chocolate :) reminds me of childhood halloween candy