A Southern Grace: in defense of moist

August 15, 2017

in defense of moist

Yum

Maple yogurt pound cake. So many people hate the word moist!


I don't get it, because to me, moist is something I associate with stellar cakes. So while I hesitate to use that word to describe one of the best pound cakes I've ever made, I'll do it anyway because it's the best descriptor--this cake is MOIST. And subtly spiced. And tender. And delicately flavored. And darn good.


I tweaked my go-to pound cake recipe in the following ways: I used maple-flavored Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or milk. I added some cornstarch to replace some all-purpose flour since that is supposedly a good substitution for cake flour. I included cinnamon and cardamom, my two favorite spices, as I know they both pair well with maple.

This was just a really good pound cake (SO happy I still have one waiting for me in the freezer!) and I'll be trying other yogurt flavors next!

Most Moist Maple Pound Cake
(printable recipe)
Makes 2 9x5-inch loaves
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
  • 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1 cup maple Greek yogurt (I used Greek Gods*)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans or one tube pan.
With a mixer, cream butter and coconut oil together for a minute or two, until fluffy.
Gradually add the sugar, and beat for a while, 5 minutes or so. You want an extremely light and creamy blend.
Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with yogurt, starting with the flour and ending with the flour.
Mix in vanilla.
Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake for 65-75 minutes for loaves or 90-110 minutes for a tube pan, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

*Disclaimer: Greek Gods did provide me with product and also offered to pay me to create a recipe for them. They changed their minds about the cash money, but I decided to promote them anyway because their yogurt is GOOD.

17 comments:

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Moist is a word that I like to see in the description when talking about cakes Grace and this cake sounds amazing, love cardamom in baked goods.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Yes you definitely want cakes to be moist! Also there isn't really another word to replace it. Wet isn't quite the same! :P

gloriadelpilar_1994@yahoo.com said...

I love how this cake looks !
wonderful !

Unknown said...

This pound cake looks perfect - I love the hint of spice combined with maple.

Angie's Recipes said...

I do love moist tender baked goods! This cake looks fantastic, Grace.

lisa is cooking said...

This looks like pound cake perfection! Perfect golden top and delicate crumb. And, maple sounds delicious.

All That I'm Eating said...

This sounds delicious, love the sound of those subtle spices.

Marjie said...

I just love pound cake; the maple flavoring sounds terrific!

aki! said...

Alright, you got me there! I hate moist almost everything... except for cake!

7% Solution

Unknown said...

Mmmmm I love everything about this MOIST :) pound cake. Imagining how good the kitchen will smell with the combo of maple, vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom is almost enough to get me in there in this 90 degree heat! And that golden crust, swoon, it reminds me of the top of an angel food cake (the best part, IMHO).

Sue/the view from great island said...

Moist moist moist ~ it's a cake's best characteristic!

Agness of Run Agness Run said...

This is a truly delightful pound cake, Grace! Tasty treat recipe! ;)

Marcelle said...

Moist cakes are the best kind, Grace! This one looks really, really delicious!!

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

I also always like to put Greek Yogurt in the pound cake - more guilt free!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

This looks so good Grace! I will be posting a recipe using pound cake soon, but I used store-bought. Yours looks even better!

Emma - Bake Then Eat said...

Wow this cake looks amazing, and I love the spices you added. You know what I don't mind the word moist, I don't know why so many have a problem with it.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

This look sooo good! And, if "moist" is the best descriptor, you have to use it!!