A Southern Grace: the trifecta

July 19, 2016

the trifecta

Yum

Do you know about gilding the lily? Do you ever do it?


I do. Remorselessly.

For the unaware, gilding the lily means (unnecessarily) adding to something that might already be considered perfect. Peanut butter cookies may indeed be something that needs no additions, but that didn't stop me from adding not one, but two peanut buttery ingredients into the mix. I tossed in peanut butter morsels* and mini Reese's Pieces, which means amazing crunch, toothiness, and bonus peanut butter flavor in every bite.

*I am OBSESSED with these things right now and I can't really put my finger on why that might be. Whatever the reason, I can't get enough.


Was it too much? Uh...no. These cookies are amazing! Just don't bring them into your workplace or school if peanuts are disallowed. Learned that one the hard way.

Peanut Butter Peanut Butter Peanut Butter Cookies
(printable recipe)
Makes 12-20 cookies, depending on size
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup mini Reese's Pieces
  • 1 cup peanut butter morsels
Directions:
In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add the peanut butter and mix for 1-2 minutes.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until no pockets of flour remain, but do not over mix.
Stir in the morsels and pieces, then refrigerate the cookie dough for at least an hour so it can firm up and get delicious.
When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Portion dough into 12-20 cookies--I got about 20 using my 2-tablespoon scoop.
Place the balls a few inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
Bake cookies for 10 minutes, rotating halfway through, until lightly golden brown and firm on the edges.
Remove from the oven and let set for 1-2 minutes.
Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.

9 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Triple peanut butter...wow..these sound like perfect pb cookies, Grace.

Katerina said...

I love peanut butter and these cookies look absolutely fantastic! I can imagine the taste!

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

WOW triple perfection - I haven't heard of gilding the lily before but that sounds highly fitting. Love peanut butter anything but cookies most of all!!!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I really could go for one (or two) of these and a big glass of milk right now!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

For me adding a peanut butter element is not only genius, it's necessary! :D

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

I am ALL about gilding the lily, especially if it comes to anything, and I mean ANYTHING involving peanut butter. So yep, I will be making these as soon as humanly possible.

Carolyn Jung said...

Wow -- triple peanut butter-goodness! My kind of cookies. ;)

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I'd eat one of these in a moment!

Unknown said...

You can NEVER have too much peanut butter! Man do these cookies look irresistible especially with all of those mini Reese's Pieces :)