A Southern Grace: small packages

February 12, 2016

small packages

Yum

If miniature foods make you happy, you're gonna love these itty-bitty quiches.


These are one-bite bits, no muss, no fuss. I suppose you can chomp one in half if you're feeling dainty, but I wouldn't recommend it--that fillo dough is so crispy, you'll just make a mess all over your face, your shirt, and the floor. A normal-sized mouth should have no trouble fitting the entire thing.

Fillings abound for this type of nosh, but I chose to take a southwestern route, using corn and tomatoes with chiles spiced with cumin. Quiche without cheese is like apple pie without cinnamon, so don't forget it; any cheese will do. Some other possible additions include, but are in no way limited to, bacon, broccoli, apple, asparagus, sausage, roasted red peppers, ham, onions, and on it goes. The only barrier is the fact that these cups are SUPER small, so I'd pick two mix-ins (not counting cheese) and leave it at that.


I think these are best right out of the oven because the fillo is crunchy and the cheese is gooey, but they aren't bad at room temperature either. Refrigerating the cups makes the fillo a bit soft, but they still taste okay.* I have a feeling there will be a lot more mini quiches in my future!

*I can't imagine ever needing to refrigerate any leftovers though; I only did it because it was dark when I made these and I wanted to get some good pictures!

Tiny Spicy Corny Quiches
(printable recipe)
Makes 15
Ingredients:
  • 15 mini fillo shells (I used 1 pack of Athens)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Pinch cumin
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup corn, frozen or fresh
  • 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes with green chiles
  • 2-3 tablespoons shredded pepper jack cheese
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a small baking sheet or 9-inch cake pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and spices and set aside.
Sprinkle the bottom of each fillo shell with equal parts corn and tomatoes, then use a spouted measuring cup to pour the egg into each shell.
Top with cheese.
Bake on the center rack for 8-12 minutes, or until the egg is firm.

17 comments:

Barbara said...

I love those little filo shells! What a super idea to make quiche in them. And corn quiche to boot. Little mouthfuls of heaven!

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

Phyllo shells are one thing I'll leave to the grocery - no need to struggle making them where they're so cute and perfect. Love these quiches - I wanted them for my bridal shower but we couldn't find them alas

Rosa said...

A great idea! Scrumptious bites.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I have made similar mini quiches using pastry shells, but these look amazing.... and crispy as well.. hopefully I can get them at our grocery store. Fingers crossed! Thanks again. I look forward to your posts.

Nine To Five with Deedoubleyou said...

I love quiche!! Can't wait to try this. What are some other dishes you would recommend for great brunch?

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I have a package of these shells in the freezer right now. I was going to use them for a dessert, but I think that you just changed that up to Valentine's Day breakfast :)

~~louise~~ said...

Those are some adorable Quiches, Grace. Almost too cute to devour but, I'm sure I would manage, lol...

Thanks for sharing, Grace...

Angie's Recipes said...

Those mini quiches look way too adorable to eat, Grace. And it reminds me that I need to get some filo pastry too.

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

Tiny foods make me deliriously happy, and so these are on my Must Make Very Soon list!

lisa is cooking said...

These are dangerously cute! I can imagine popping several into my mouth in quick succession. Love the southern flavors too.

Beth said...

Really cute, and they sound so delicious! One bite quiches are on my list to try.

Marjie said...

Oh, they are so tiny and adorable! I'm afraid I'd have to make at least 100 to feed my hungry horde.

Marcelle said...

Is it possible to love a dish you've never had before?! I love little bites in phyllo shells, but I've never had a mini corn quiche in one. Can't wait to make these !

Marsha | Marsha's Baking Addiction said...

I love mini foods! These mini Quiches look absolutely delicious!

Summer said...

I do love miniature food! And these look so yummy ♥

summerdaisy.net

Pam said...

Using the mini phyllo cups as "crust" is brilliant! I am loving these mini quiches and I know the rest of my family would too.

sandy said...

At first I was thinking how difficult it would be to make mini phyllo cups, I had no idea you could buy them ready-made... awesome! They look delicious, you inspire us as usual