A Southern Grace: a wonderful weekend and some love for the gracemeister

July 7, 2008

a wonderful weekend and some love for the gracemeister

Yum

Where to begin? How about with this burger:


It was one of the many terrific aspects of my holiday weekend.

Other noteworthy eats include Mambino's ambrosia salad...


...grilled hot dogs...


...baked ham and pasta salad...


...wedding cake (from a truly fantastic affair--congrats, Sarah & Aaron!)...


...and of course, the desserts about which I've been fretting for a few months now:


This picture is all you'll be seeing of the end results. I planned the ingredients superbly, but the timing and logistics were another issue altogether. By the time I made it to the reception, it was a race to get the desserts to the table before everyone was already through the line. I was quite frazzled, and believe it or not, take pictures for blog wasn't at the forefront of my mind. You'll just have to take my word for their beauty and decadence. :)

Yes, I'm happy and very relieved to report that although there aren't any more pictures, the desserts (sugar-free banana pudding, peanut butter brownie bites, mint oreo truffles, and miniature turtle cheesecakes) were a hit.

Note to self: For future catering events, hire help.
(That's not to say I didn't have any help. I would've lost my sanity without the Mamboni, my sister-in-law, my grandmothers, and my future cousin-in-law.)

Other happy news--I've received three award-type recognitions. Val of More Than Burnt Toast has given me a bear hug. No, not just any bear hug--a giant bear hug:


I'm sure most of you are familiar with Val's blog, but if you're not, you're sorely missing out on some delicious recipes and extremely artistic photography. Go visit!

Nancy of A Recipe A Day has given me the Arte Y Pico award. She and I have sort of swapped places--I live in her hometown, while she now lives in my home state. She has some amazing entries on her blog, so if you like good food, go check it out!

Finally, Leslie of The Hungry Housewife has passed on her first award to me:


Leslie is quickly becoming a super-blogger, keeping her site chock-full of good eats and entertaining entries. Don't take my word for it--go look for yourself.

Thank you, ladies!

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

what can i say... a simple burger. one look at yours and i wanted one. delish.

Chef Jeena said...

The cake is so pretty. :-) Congratulations on the awards. :-)

krysta said...

i want some of that burger!

Tabby said...

That wedding cake is so pretty, it really makes me want some cake! I can tell your desserts were a big hit...looks like everyone is gobbling them up. :)

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Congratulations on the award - you deserve it!!

Everything looks so good from top to bottom..

Cheers
Cathy
www.wheresmydamnanswer.com

Anonymous said...

You've been busy! Glad all of your treats were such a hit. Yum on the burger...great photo. And congrats on all of the awards!

test it comm said...

That's a lot of tasty looking food.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the desserts being a hit!! Those are some yummy food photos.


Ari (Baking and Books)

Anonymous said...

Finally the desserts...I'm sure you'll make them again for us with close and personal pics...won't you??

Sophie said...

Congrats on the awards. That burger is calling my name!

Anonymous said...

grace everything looks soooo good!! congratulations on the awards!!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Looks like you had an action packed weekend! The food all looks great, especially that hot dog! I love hot dogs, but they don't love me, so I only get to have them on Memorial Day and 4th of July. :(

I'm so glad your catering gig turned out well. It looks like it was a great spread.

Congrats on the awards, too. You definitely deserve each one of them! :)

Anonymous said...

Is...is that pepper jack cheese on that burger? I need some of that! Congratulations on a job well done! Your desserts looks fantastic! :)

Emily said...

Congrats on your awards!

Good job on the desserts. They look great. I admire your for doing that. It's so stressful cooking for other people. You never know what their expectations will be.

Lore said...

Congrats on you awards Grace! Yum-Yum on the burger and hot dog ;)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos! And congrats on getting the desserts to the table in time! I'm making my niece's wedding cake in November, so I understand all too well about the fretting... :-)

Albany Jane said...

The sweets look like they were sure going fast, definitely a good sign!

Robin said...

Loved all your pictures, it is too bad that you couldn't get pics of all your pretty desserts so I will take your word that they were great! It is hard to cater and snap shots at the same time, isn't it?

KJ said...

i've no doubt at all that your desserts were great. i will have to try a turtle cheesecake one day. Meanwhile that burger looks mighty tasty!

Sharon said...

Congrats on the awards and the beautiful desserts! Looks like quite a fun weekend.

LyB said...

That burger! OMG! I seem to be having problems focusing since I saw that pic. Oh, yes, the wedding guests were in for a treat with all those cutie desserts you made, everything sounds fab!

vanillasugarblog said...

Just like Homer says "Mmmm donut" I say "Mmmmm cheeseburger"
Burgers always rock. Nice pic.

eatme_delicious said...

Yum the desserts you made for the wedding look great! Glad it all worked out.

Paula said...

Wow, you had a b.u.s.y. weekend! Those desserts look terrific, as does the other food photos. That pasta salad looks so good. Congrats on your awards! :-)

Deborah said...

What a weekend! I feel for you - my sister's and I have catered a few events, and it's a lot of work. But it looks fantastic!

The Blonde Duck said...

Anytime you need someone to sample your desserts, I'll hop on over.

And yes, I'm still a spaz. I'm afraid it's a permanet condition that affects one for life. Doctors are searching for a cure as we speak. Unfortunately, it may take awhile. They suffer from the same disease.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Sounds like a great weekend and glad it went well! And for what its worth, I considered making a Pulp Fiction "that's a tasty burger" kind of reference, but couldn't think of what to do with it...but I guess that problem just took care of itself, lol.

Anonymous said...

I just gained 10 pounds looking at all these terrific dishes! But my favorite is the wedding cake!
Congrats on your well deserved award!

Katie said...

YUM! That food looks delicious, especially the ambrosia salad, dessert & hot dogs...I'm hungry now!

giz said...

So a good weekend, lots of good food, a dose of stress and a bunch of awards... your life is full

Anonymous said...

grace, it looks like you had a great holiday with lots of great food. That burger looks delicious!

Elle said...

Sooo...it probably was a bad idea to read this post while hungry, right? Everything looks incredible!

Leslie said...

my cornbread WAS my dessert!LOL