A Southern Grace: it's thyme for taste & create xii

July 22, 2008

it's thyme for taste & create xii

Yum

Gird your loins and prepare for complete abuse of the thyme-time pun. You've been warned.


Although I missed a few episodes of Taste & Create (in which bloggers are given a partner and asked to recreate a dish from his or her blog), I'm back. My only excuse for not making thyme for this wonderful event is that I'm a lazy bum, but most of you already knew that.


Moving on. This thyme, Nicole paired me with Holler of Tinned Tomatoes. Have ya met Holler? I hadn't, but it was definitely thyme that I did. She's from Scotland, whose citizens I feel have perhaps the very best accent in the world. (The main competition? Australian.) Her blog is chock-full of goodness, and since she's a vegetarian, her archives are packed with meat-free delights. Plus, she experiments with foods from many different countries, which I completely appreciate.

After much inner struggle and lots of wasted thyme, the recipe I finally chose to make comes from Greece--giant beans in tomato sauce. I love beans and Greek spices, so I was pretty sure this would be a winner (and a good use of my thyme).


Indeed it was. The beans were present in two forms--some mashed into a smooth paste and some whole. Thyme was the predominant herb, and I didn't mind that one bit. I'd never seasoned with it before, but there's no denying that I like me some thyme. Holler recommends eating this with pita bread, which I'm sure would be delightful. In fact, I've been feeling such a strong urge for homemade pita bread that I very nearly cranked up the oven and made some. Alas, (shameless plug alert) the heat beat me this thyme.

I'm so glad I was paired with you, Holler! Dear reader, if you don't know Holler, get thee to her blog immediately! Thyme is of the essence!

Okay, okay, I'll stop now.

26 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks great! I've never heard of it, but it looks tasty. I might have to try it!

Anonymous said...

I am up for beans and tomatoes anytime, Grace. So glad you made thyme for the recipe.

Veronica said...

I wish I loved beans...I know they have countless health benefits-fiber and all-but I have just never gotten myself to love them...I think it's a texture thing. But I do love Greek spices, perhaps I should give them a go one more time?

Sharon said...

Australian & Scottish accents get me every thyme. Well, I suppose most foreign accents do it for me. Enough about that. On to the food - looks tasty. I'm a little of a bean freak now, but can you believe I never had beans till college?!

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks new and different and Aussie-Scot accents...well this is just too fancy for words! Love it.

LyB said...

Thyme is one of my favorite herbs, it's good with so many things. This sounds delicious!

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo yum! I like how the beans are both mashed and whole. Holler has tons of yummy recipes on her blog!

krysta said...

i feel like you need a drum guy following you. you know ba dum dum dum after every thyme reference! that's okay i need one too!

Albany Jane said...

Oh, it's about thyme I got round to eating more bean dishes - this is inspiring!

Tabby said...

You are so funny! I just love reading your blog...it always makes me laugh. Ben likes reading it, too.

Lore said...

I've never consciously paired beans with Greek flavours before so it's about thyme to try it! Looks yummy and may I say I could bet you'd choose something with beans :D

Emily said...

Excellent use of your thyme!

You're tagged for a music meme!

Anonymous said...

You had me at hello with the Greek beans.
Delish.
I am enamored as well by the "taste and create" idea, what fun!

Anonymous said...

yum, this looks good! healthy and comforting.

Chef Jeena said...

This looks great I love tasty dishes like this. :-)

Anonymous said...

LOl at "gird your loins". I was wondering what would follow! I wish I liked thyme, the rest sounds great but I just can't love the herb...

Sandy said...

I'm gearing up for tomatoes - we planted 5 different kinds. You saw my tangerine ones? they were to die for! :)

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Anonymous said...

ooh, are giant beans the same as gigante beans? I picked up a bag at the farmers market and don't have a clue what to do with them. it's about thyme i did something with them...

Cakespy said...

It's business thyme, looking at these gorgeous photos of summerthyme recipes! It looks like it's thyme to make some bean and tomato deliciousness!

Leslie said...

Its about THYME I try this!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

i totally approve of these puns! and this recipe, it looks delicious!

test it comm said...

The giant beans sound interesting and I like the sound of serving them in a tomato sauce.

Anonymous said...

Stop, Stop, I don't have thyme to laugh so much!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Thank you for the great write up Grace, even if I am a bit tardy in saying so! The beans look divine. I am glad you enjoyed them! I loved your mint trufles, maybe a bit too much :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Holler is the very first blogger I ever "met" out there. I love the T & C event and great choice from Holler's veggie blog.