A Southern Grace: what's in a name?

July 11, 2008

what's in a name?

Yum

When perusing menus, there are certain words that jump out at me and automatically cause a particular dish to be seriously considered or immediately rejected. Is it the same for you? Personally, the words sun-dried tomatoes and black beans are winners, while anything containing those vile mushrooms and the entire seafood section are quickly crossed off. Another winning word is chipotle. So, as you can imagine, a restaurant called Chipotle definitely piques my interest.


I do love me some spicy food, and Chipotle's got it.


In case you're unfamiliar with this particular Mexican grill, you can get burritos, tacos, fajita burritos, burrito bols, or salads with your choice of barbacoa, chicken, carnitas, steak, or beans and guac (all of which come from critters that are free of antibiotics and added growth hormones, fed a vegetarian diet, and humanely-raised)(does that include the beans and guac?). They also have four stellar salsas from which to choose. I'll take a scoop of all four, thank you.

Chipotle is chain restaurant a lot like Moe's or Qdoba, if you've ever been to one of those.


Although I've never tried Qdoba, I do feel that Moe's is superior to Chipotle. One notable difference is the fact that Moe's keeps its salsas out in the dining area so you can get as much as your heart and tongue desire. (My heart and tongue desire a lot.) Another thing that puts Moe's above Chipotle in my eyes is the bowl-shaped tortilla used for their taco salad. That's some deep-fried goodness, folks.


What stands out to me as I check out the Qdoba website is the variety of sauces and salsas. There are 10 of 'em, ranging from your typical pico de gallo and guacamole, to more unique items like poblano pesto and ancho chile barbecue sauce. Yes, please.

I'll have to give Chipotle credit for one thing--it offers pig. Carnitas, to be exact. Seared, braised, and seasoned with thyme, bay leaves, juniper berries and freshly cracked black pepper. Doesn't that sound delightful? The naturally-raised aspect is nice, too. Plus, Chipotle clearly has the best name...


(...unless Moe's could somehow associate itself with this stud muffin. Then it'd be a toss-up.)

In a pinch, you won't find me discriminating--any of these places will do.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am like you, say Chipolte and I order it or want it.........

April was in CA now MA said...

That stud muffin would definitely inspire me to eat more at Moe's.

How is it possible I now want Mexican at 8:30 in the morning with my coffee??

Albany Jane said...

If there's a Simpson's endorsement, I am there! (even moreso than I already am).

I agree with ya - Moe's has my heart clogged with fried salad bowl-y goodness.

Anonymous said...

We go there often and love it!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

I have been to chipotle and from what I understand it is actually owned by Jack in the Box - Personally I am prefer Quodba and there is are more and more "fresh mex" places popping up all the time - YUM for me as I love Mexican food - morning noon or night - Thanks for the reviews if I ever run across a Moes I am stopping

Cheers
Cathy
www.wheresmydamnanswer.com

Lisa said...

My current corner of the world is a little short of Tex-Mex greatness but we do have a Chipotle nearby. Yet for some reason, I've never been there. I didn't know their menu was based on such wholesome critters. Maybe I should give it a try?!

eatme_delicious said...

Oh yes there are totally some foods if they're in something I feel like I really want to have it - like avocadoes, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, mmm.

Katie said...

Chipotle's is good stuff. I always know I have leftovers when I go there, and that's something that makes it even better. I've never tried Moe's or Qdoba, but you've got me interested.

Leslie said...

I love Chipolte! Although it doesnt love me!

Anonymous said...

There's no shortage of places to get burritos in San Diego, but I still go to Chipotle quite often. I really like their rice, for some reason!

Anonymous said...

We have a Qdoba in Wellesley! I went with Rick two times and it was glorious! I got a burrito with mucho black beans, chicken, queso, salsa, guac, etc. It comes rolled up in this massive grenade like package. As I have learned you cannot "fork and knife it" but nor can you pick it up. Thus, you must place the burrito on your plate and shove your face in it - you would love it. I have a great pic on my phone of Rick devouring his if you care to see!

Anonymous said...

That stud muffin should be the official mascot! I'm sure that'd bring all the girls to the yard :P

Deborah said...

I've never been to any of these places, but yes, those words sound like winners to me!! (Although I do like mushrooms and seafood as well...) Another word to add to the list - bacon. Yum!

Thistlemoon said...

I do like Chipotle the few times I have eaten there. I have been to Moe's and really didn't care for it.

Sarah said...

Chipolte has good stuff; the food is good value for the money. Moe's, not as much...

Anonymous said...

No mushrooms for you? Aaah, too bad, one of my favorites.
Tofu = turn off for me. I just don't get it.
But anything Mexican, I am in, and if it has tomatillo in in, I'm doubly in!

pam said...

I love Moe's burritos, so big you have to sort of cup it in both hands! yum!

giz said...

I'm constantly lamenting our lack of Mexican food restaurants or even those that would highlite chipotle. Now I'm feeling deprived.

LyB said...

I've never been to any of those restaurant but I like their logos! :)