A Southern Grace: taste & create ix--ginger biskies

May 18, 2008

taste & create ix--ginger biskies

Yum

What are biskies, you ask? It's quite simple, really (and sounds better than cookits):

BISCUITS + COOKIES = BISKIES


This month marks the ninth occurrence of Taste & Create, a blog event which partners two foodie bloggers and has each make a dish from the other's recipe archives. I was fortunate enough to be paired with a blog that was brand new to me--Tangerine's Kitchen Hangout. Rachel's recipes include such a variety of dishes, many of them India-inspired. After much deliberation, I finally decided that the notion of "chewy gingery rocks" needed to be explored.


Rachel's instructions were simple and straightforward. However, my resulting batter wasn't pourable, but rather stiff, so I opted to form it into flat discs and go for mega-cookies. I don't know what I did wrong, but I must've done something right too, because these puppies were scrumptious.

The taste was cookie-like (the chocolate-covered ginger bits that I tossed in were a nice bonus) yet the texture was reminiscent of a flaky biscuit. I doubt I'll ever love any spice as much as I love cinnamon, but ginger is moving up in the ranks!


So while I didn't end up with chewy gingery rocks, I did find a new addition to my ever-growing blogroll. Thanks, Rachel, and nice to meet you!

Ginger Biskies
(based on Rachel's recipe, but Americanized)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
3 tablespoons finely-grated ginger
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate-covered ginger

In a bowl, mix flour, ginger, sugar, and nutmeg. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the honey to it. Add the baking soda, and when the syrup starts to fizz, mix it into the flour mixture.

If your batter is as stiff as mine, mold it into discs about four inches in diameter. If it's pourable, pour dollops onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the desired color is obtained.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. Have you applied for the paton yet...or at least the copyright for biskies. I think you may have started a new trend.

Cheryl said...

Yum!

Where did you get the chocolate covered ginger bits?

krysta said...

I agree with noble pig... you have to get the rights to this!

Nic said...

Great name for them! And a fab entry for this event.

Anonymous said...

I want chocolate covered ginger bits!
And then I want some biskies! :)

Rachel said...

Wow..I love the americanized version of my chewy rocks...choc-covered ginger bits...neat!!!

Anonymous said...

biskies - how cute! love it! they look delish!

April was in CA now MA said...

You're a seasoned Taste Spotting pro now. The biskies look oh so flaky and good!

Anonymous said...

I love this picture...must've tasted good!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gawd, Grace! These biskies look too delicious for words. So, I guess I'll just have to sink my teeth right into one. :)

Anonymous said...

Those biskies look amazingly good, especially the closeup. You're making me want to eat my computer monitor lol!

Lore said...

Love the name, love the looks!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous biskies! Absolutely love the name :D

Anonymous said...

Those really look tasty!

Elle said...

I want some biskies! They look so flaky and delicious...especially with the chocolate covered ginger! Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

"biskies" SOUND like something for the dog, but the LOOK like something i want to be eating right this second.

test it comm said...

Biskies sound really interesting.

Dana said...

Ooh, "biskies" -- I like the sound of that!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Good choice for the event Grace:D

Anna said...

I have to admit I quite like 'cookits', but from a marketing perspective you probably have the edge with biskies. The texture of these is to die for...

Vicarious Foodie said...

Wow these look awesome. I need one of these with a glass of milk right now!

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook said...

Those look awesome!!

Emily said...

Yum. What's with all of the Canadians/Europeans calling cookies, "biscuits". That just confuses me. Or flapjacks.

LyB said...

I've never heard of such a thing as biskies, but I foresee them making an appearance in my kitchen in the very near future!

Y said...

Ahh.. biskies. I love 'em already!