A Southern Grace: big brother's triple c

April 25, 2008

big brother's triple c

Yum

My big brother has recently decided to begin a grueling home-cook-in-training regimen. By that, I mean he makes what he wants when he wants it. One of his latest accomplishments is something I've dubbed "Big Brother's Triple C."



The first c stands for cornbread. I should mention that up until recently, my grandma made and served cornbread for lunch every single day. If there were ever any leftovers, my grandpa's dinner would involve pouring a big glass of milk and crumbling in that last hunk of bread. It's a surprisingly tasty combination, if you can get past the whole lumpy-milk thing. Anyway, I'm super-impressed by Big Bro's ability to make a decent cornbread. He is a true southerner.


The second c stands for cabbage. He simply boils it until it gives up and wilts. There's something about stringy, smelly cabbage that turns me (and my digestive system) off, but to each his own.


The third and final c stands for cilantro. What a fabulous addition. You've probably heard of eating cabbage on cornbread (or maybe not), but I'll bet you've never seen cilantro on top. I suppose an affection for cilantro is in our blood, because I can't get enough and Big Bro certainly doesn't skimp on it.


Good job, brother. You've made me proud.


Unhinge jaw, insert massive forkful. I'm not sure, but I think he's enjoying it.

Disclaimer: I've been sitting on these pictures for months now, waiting for BB to provide a commentary. He didn't come through this time, but I still hope he'll be a guest author someday.

17 comments:

Roni said...

What an AWESOME idea. I love this. And I love the expression on your brothers face. LOL

Jeff said...

The expression is priceless!! Those are 3 Cs everyone should try to work into their diet daily.

Rosie said...

Oh what agreat idea just love it!!

Oh boy just love that pic of your brother says it all ;)

Rosie x

krysta said...

brothers are weird.

Anonymous said...

I love cornbread and cilantro...the cabbage, I'm not so sure of.
But way to combine favourite ingredients - I'm sure we all have that delicious dish that make other people go "hmmm...."

Pixie said...

lol Grace

never heard of cabbage on cornbread though hmmm and I love cilantro too

RecipeGirl said...

Great job pimpin' the bro! Looks like he's doing a smashing job with his cooking experiments. It all sounds good to me :)

Anonymous said...

Cornbread looks awesome. I can even deal with the cilantro part. And hey, cornbread and milk works for me. But the cabbage? (and I love cooked cabbage)....not so sure about.

Anonymous said...

Funny! Great writing and photos!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would have ever paired these things together. Only a man could get this going..good for HIM!

test it comm said...

The cornbread does look good!

giz said...

Cornbread, cabbage and cilantro - hmmm... would that qualify as a southern thing? I can't even imagine the combination. Your bro does look happy - how bad can it be?

Mama Mia said...

I love cornbread! I wish my brother would cook for me~

Susan @ SGCC said...

That sounds pretty good. I'd cook the cabbage with a big ham bone. I'll bet it's delicious!

Anonymous said...

The picture of Big Bro is hilarious (not sure if we're allowed to use name here). But methinks he looks happy in the picture because he hasn't actually tasted it yet. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, if it works for him...! :-)

Anonymous said...

Cornbread and milk was a favorite at our table. Glad to hear it's a favorite with other southern families. (We also eat peanut butter on pancakes and waffles - a kickback from having too many kids and needing something to fill them up and keep 'em movin!)