A Southern Grace: sugar rush

October 17, 2018

sugar rush

Yum

Though one of the main purposes of my blog is to keep a record of recipes I love so I can come back to them repeatedly, there are some I never make again. I also rarely re-post recipes, with some notable exceptions.


This recipe is indeed one I've posted before, but it's definitely worthy of a repeat. To be honest, I hadn't thought about it in years, even though it was a staple of my childhood (thanks to my grandma's never-satisfied sweet tooth!). For whatever reason, I got a craving for it and decided to make it again. If you missed it the first time, I hope you're paying attention today--this is a unique and mouthwatering (and EASY) treat!


I'm not lying when I tell you it took me five minutes to get this pie into the oven. Melt some butter, mix a few ingredients together, and pour it into your crust (yes, mine was store-bought); DONE. That's always a point in a dessert's favor, if you ask me. The other thing I can tell you about this pie is that it's SWEET. Too sweet for my husband, but not for me. I do like a plop of whipped topping on it, as even though that's sweet too, it somehow tends to tame the brown sugar a bit.

Be warned that this pie weeps, even after just one day in the fridge. While this does give the crust a bit of a soggy bottom (sorry, Mary Berry!), it doesn't make the flavor any less wondrous. In fact, I like to think of this as a self-saucing pie. :)


This pie holds special memories for me, but I think that even if it didn't, I'd be in love with it. Brown sugar lover for life.

Brown Sugar Lover's Pie
(printable recipe)
Serves 8
Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, light or dark, tightly packed
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted and slightly cooled
  • 2 eggs, beaten well
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 regular 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare the pie crust per package instructions, or make up your own favorite dough.
In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and salt. Be sure to break up any clumps of brown sugar.
In a smaller bowl, mix together the melted butter, beaten eggs, vanilla, and milk; beat well.
Add this wet mixture to the brown sugar mixture and blend very well with a whisk or handheld mixer.
Pour into the pie crust and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until set (just a wee bit wobbly) in the middle and an internal temperature of at least 200 degrees F.
Let cool completely (it's best to chill it in the fridge) before slicing and serving (with whipped topping).

21 comments:

Marjie said...

A delightful variation on a classic custard pie! I doubt it would last long enough around here to get a chance to weep.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

We are huge pie fans in this house and this one would definitely be a hit. I love pies that get that sugary crust on top.

gloriadelpilar_1994@yahoo.com said...

Love pies. This looks absolutely delicious :)

Angie's Recipes said...

You have me at 5-min-preparation! These days I am just not into complicated recipes. The pie looks amazing, Grace.

Alicia Foodycat said...

It's one of the tricky things about blogging for a long time - I hardly ever make anything new!

This looks even better than the previous time you posted it. I think you'd really like a Gypsy Tart too (the filling is just dark muscovado sugar and evaporated milk, somehow it cooks to a custard).

Pam said...

Drooling. Bookmarked. It is seriously screaming my name. Yum!

Unknown said...

Delicious! It looks a little like a treacle tart and I love that, so I know I would love this, soggy bottom or not. :)

Unknown said...

Yum! This sounds (and looks) so delicious, Grace. I love how quickly it comes together and can't wait to give it a try. Though I'll have to round up some other pie fans so I don't eat the whole thing myself, lol. Thanks for resharing this family favorite!

All That I'm Eating said...

What a great recipe! So quick and easy, perfect for when you need a sugar hit in a hurry!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I've eaten brown sugar pie once when I was travelling in America and it was delightful! And now I have a recipe-thanks Grace!

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

Oh my word! A dessert that comes together in five minutes is always a winner! This looks soooo good!

Marcelle said...

I'm a brown sugar lover for life too, Grace! I'm so glad you re-posted this self-saucing brown sugar pie :) It sounds delicious and I honestly can't wait to make one!!

Emma @ Bake Then Eat said...

What a wonderful pie, I also use ready-made pie crusts so much easier!

lisa is cooking said...

I think I've been having an over-active sweet tooth lately. I want all the sweet desserts, and this looks lovely! Self-saucing pie sounds delightful too.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

It kind of reminds me of a pecan pie without the nuts...I'm sure I would like it.

Food Gal said...

This looks perfect for upcoming family holiday gatherings. Count me in the brown sugar fan club, too. Its deep caramel note is impossible to resist. ;)

Pam said...

Woo hoo! It sounds delicious, love brown sugar. I've never heard of this, but it's good and easy to try. Thanks to you and your Grandma! Great Mary Berry comment! Ha, ha! Bet she'd like this!

Inger@Art of Natural Living said...

I was just saying I needed a new pie for Thanksgiving! Have you ever tried pre-baking the crust to see if it helps with the second day soggies?

Tania|My Kitchen Stories said...

Its always good to repost a favourite so that everyone else gets a memory jog too. I can't imagine a better pie!

Georgie Eats said...

Im such a massive fan of all sorts of pies! Maybe I will make this one at Christmas time! x

grace said...

@Inger: That's a really good idea!!