A Southern Grace: brussels sprouted out

November 10, 2015

brussels sprouted out

Yum

I have a definite tipping point when it comes to any given foodstuff.


When the negative characteristics [time, effort, expense, or even (in this case) smell] begin to overwhelm the positive aspects (nutrition, taste, or simplicity, for example), I put the kibosh on the ingredient or recipe in question, at least for awhile. The latest item voted off the island is the humble Brussels sprout.

I've prepared them several ways, most frequently using this recipe, and I think I'm finally ready to say that they just don't taste good enough to me to merit stinking up the ENTIRE house the way they do. It's unfortunate in this instance that the master bedroom is right above the kitchen, since whatever smells are coming out of the oven seep right into my sleeping space. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find their odor pretty unpleasant.


I'm sorry, Brussels sprouts. I really dug you guys for awhile, but I think we need some time apart. Tot ziens!

Stinky Sweet and Sour Sprouts
(printable recipe)
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, stem trimmed off and halved
  • 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
Directions:
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
On a baking sheet, toss the sprouts in oil to coat evenly; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, tossing them halfway so they cook evenly.
Remove the sprouts from the oven and turn on oven broiler to high, with the oven rack positioned in the top third of the oven.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sauces and sugar and pour over the Brussels sprouts, tossing to coat evenly.
Broil for 5 minutes or until the sugars are bubbling and caramelizing--don't let them burn!
Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

9 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I too had some roasted brussels sprouts for the lunch today. I love them and my husband can't even stand seeing them..

Marjie said...

I always par-boil mine, then drain and quickly saute in a pan with olive oil, garlic and plenty of fresh ground black pepper. Sometimes I add bacon bits, which make everything better. I don't think I'd go to the effort of roasting them, either; I'd rather have the aroma of fresh roasted meat or a cake in the air!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe you are too funny Grace! I can't say as if I have noticed a particular smell from Brussels sprouts. Cauliflower and cabbage definitely have that smell but they come from the same family so maybe it's the same smell?

Unknown said...

I love your brussels! Look awesome! Wish I could have them now!

Pam said...

I've just never been a fan of brussels sprouts. I think it's because I had to eat them boiled & unseasoned as a child. The sweet and sour must surely make them taste better!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

We have raised these the last three years in our garden, and I think we decided we will no longer do this. We don't hate them, we just don't like them. We have tried, but you can only try so many things. I certainly wouldn't want to smell them in my bedroom!

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

I looooooove brussels sprouts, but we never have them because my husband runs out of the room at the sight of them. Our solution is that whenever I see them (especially roasted) on a restaurant menu, I order a bowl of them all for me!

All That I'm Eating said...

Poor sprouts! I like them but not too many of them, I think the smell wafting up into anyone's bedroom would be enough to put them off!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Lol. I am soooo ready for winter to end the incoming food! Frozen food--YES!