A Southern Grace: pizza...for breakfast...for dinner

April 2, 2015

pizza...for breakfast...for dinner

Yum

As I've gotten older and the number of my responsibilities has exploded grown, I've come to appreciate some things at which I used to turn up my nose. High on that list is takeout (or, even better, delivery) pizza.


What kind of person doesn't have time to throw together a meal for her loved ones? Well, as it turns out, every kind of person, myself most definitely included. Sometimes I just don't feel like cooking dinner after a day of work or I haven't been to the grocery store yet that week. Obstacles often abound, and on those occasions, I have a new appreciation for good ol' Papa John.


That's not to say that I don't crave pizza even when I do have the time and energy to make supper. My boyfriend and I are both big fans of any and all breakfast items, so one of our new favorites is breakfast pizza...for dinner. Breakfast for dinner is certainly nothing new, but it's definitely something awesome. I'll never get tired of it, and I'll never get tired of the idea of a breakfast pizza, as the possibilities for toppings are positively endless. Plain ol' bacon, eggs, and cheese would be fine, or you can get fancy with kale or ricotta or smoked salmon or asparagus. You can vary your crust (I highly recommend the Krusteaz Garlic and Onion Flatbread Mix, though any of their mixes would be more than sufficient), too.


For this pizza, I took a Mexican ruta (that means route). Refried beans mixed with salsa composes the base layer, while my selection of toppings included cilantro, pepper jack cheese, bacon, and avocado. Hot sauce is pretty much an essential accompaniment, and sour cream wouldn't hurt either.

As pizzas go, this one is probably best served as breakfast for dinner.

Spicy Breakfast Pizza (for Dinner)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Effort: Easy
Number of servings: 6-8
Ingredients: Directions:
Heat oven to 475 degrees F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
Stir together flatbread mix and enclosed yeast packet. Add warm water and oil, stirring until dough forms a ball. To activate yeast, cover dough and let rest 10 minutes, or until oven is hot.
Shape dough by dividing into two equal portions. With floured hands, pat out dough 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick, forming nice ovals on prepared pans.
Bake for 5-7 minutes or until edges begin to harden a little. Remove from the oven and begin adding toppings.
In a small bowl, mix the refried beans and salsa.
Spread a thin layer of refried beans onto each partially baked crust.
Make two or three small indents in the beans of both pizzas with the back of a spoon and crack an egg into each indent.
Season the eggs with salt and pepper and sprinkle the pepper jack cheese over the top of the pizza.
Cook the pizzas for 5-10 minutes more, keeping a close eye on them. Once the crust is slightly browned at the edges and your eggs are jiggly when you gently move the tray but the whites have become opaque, remove the pizzas from the oven. The eggs will continue to cook slightly after the pizzas are removed.
Top with avocado, chopped bacon, and cilantro and serve immediately.

22 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Two thumbs up for your pizza! That topping with sunny side up looks unbelievably delicious!
Have a great long weekend, Grace!
Angie

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful and extremely mouthwatering!

Cheers,

Rosa

Kelsey Ann said...

its an all-day kind of pizza! INCREDIBLE

Erica said...

That pizza looks so good! The egg is perfect, Grace!

Cheesy Pennies said...

What an egg-cellent idea! (Sorry!)

Anonymous said...

this pizza makes us so hungry...we could eat it any time of the day...on a separate note we can totally relate to not making dinner thing...there were times we ended up almost everyday ordering food...somehow we seem to be making dinners a home thing again...hope it continues as such...and we really are affirmed after reading this recipe...it must taste scrumptious...enough to keep us motivated for home made dinners,thanks so much and out standing food clicks, :-)

All That I'm Eating said...

This sounds amazing and I love the idea of the base being refried beans. Looks so good.

Beth said...

I have to start making my own pizza, because I find takeout pizza pretty boring. Thanks for the inspiration!

Pam said...

Now that is my kind of pizza! Love the Mexican flavors and those yolky eggs. YUM.

Barbara said...

Never have tried their flatbread mix...looks excellent.
Love your pizza toppings and those eggs are cooked perfectly! Yep...looks like great a great dinner to me.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Yes to breakfast pizza for dinner! Although in all honesty I would like to eat this as actual breakfast too hehe

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

This pizza looks delicious, Grace - for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or anytime!

Betty said...

Breakfast for dinner is the best! I love those eggs on the pizza- yum! :)

Marcela said...

The pizza looks delicious! I am mouthwatering right now... Perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Love the recipe!

pam said...

Love every single thing about this!!!

Cathy said...

yum! runny yolks on anything is my favorite! And I totally feel you. If I didn't have time to go to the store there's no way I'm doing that AND cooking dinner that night.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

As a huge fan of breakfast for dinner these are definitely my sort of thing. And those sunny yolks would pep up the most tired person after work! :D

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I like the way you think! That looks so good! I need to find that mix to have on hand for those times when I just don't have time... or energy ;)
Hope you had a Happy Easter!

Carolyn Jung said...

Boy, does that ever look good! I am a firm believer that pizza is perfect ANY hour of the day or night. ;)

Joanne said...

You had me at refried beans AND runny egg yolks AND pizza! Love this.

foodhoe said...

Yum! I love all of those things and have never had refried beans on pizza, but must try it. My stomach is practically roaring now...

Melissa said...

Yup now I want this too! Luckily I haven't done my weekly grocery trip yet. Gonna be getting the stuff to make this for sure!