A Southern Grace: swee' tater

January 5, 2015

swee' tater

Yum

Though my grandpa* used to call me "Tater" because I could just about eat my weight in plain ol' buttery mashed potatoes, my tastes have changed over the years and a more apt name at this point would be "Swee' Tater" (for many reasons, obviously). (After all, I practically walk around with a halo atop my head.)(That may be an exaggeration.)



I'll take sweet potato casserole over scalloped potatoes and sweet potato fries and chips over the white variety every time. When did this happen, you ask? I couldn't tell you, but happen it did.

I went on a sweet potato baking and mashing frenzy earlier in the fall and froze several cups of the stuff. Feeling frisky one day recently, I decided to use some in a batch of quick bread. What resulted was a slightly savory, supremely moist loaf of perfectly spiced bread. I used some applesauce and some whole wheat flour, too, so as quick breads go, this one's pretty darn healthful to boot!


I tried it every way under the sun (when she decides to interrupt the dreariness of late and make an appearance)--toasted and chilled, buttered and plain. My favorite combination in the end was chilled and plain, which is as boring as possible, but I never claimed to be a bubbling well of excitement. That's not why you visit here, amIright? I topped the loaves with coarse sugar, but do you know what would be fantastic? Streusel. I'd call it sweet potato casserole bread and the thought of it is making my mouth water as I type. Next time!

Suh-weet Sweet Potato Bread
Makes 2 9x5-inch loaves
Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, tightly packed
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 2 9x5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
Combine sugars, oil, and applesauce; beat well.
Add eggs and beat until thoroughly blended.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Stir flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with water.
Stir or carefully beat in sweet potatoes, then stir in the chopped pecans.
Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for about one hour, or until nicely browned and firm in the center.

*Speaking of my grandpa, he says the same thing at the beginning of every new year the first time he lays eyes on me: "I haven't seen you since last year!" What a card. That said, I haven't seen any of you since last year--where ya been? :)

20 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love mashed potatoes. This bread looks very tempting and moist.

Cheers,

Rosa

Pam said...

Bookmarked. Loving this bread!

Marjie said...

I've made sweet potato bread, sometimes with craisins in it. It's one of my favorite things. I'll have to try your version. Happy new year, Grace!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I've never made a dessert with sweet potatoes yet but I love mashed potatoes. I used to make mashed potatoes sandwiches when I was young and my mom did not like it at all :)

pam said...

I can see your halo from here! I am slowly working my way to liking sweet potato fries over regular.

Betty said...

Oooo...I do love sweet potatoes! This looks positively perfect. :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Well when you get frisky good things happen Grace! The same can't be said for everyone! :P

Joanne said...

I'm with you on the swee' taters! I choose them over the regular kind any day. This quickbread sounds great!

Unknown said...

What a great way to use sweet potato, sounds lovely.

Unknown said...

What a great way to use sweet potato, sounds lovely.

Angie's Recipes said...

I LOVE sweet potatoe a lot. This quick bread looks really moist and beautiful.

Juliana said...

Happy New Year!
I have never had anything like this with sweet potatoes...it sure looks delicious Grace...great recipe!
Have a great week :)

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Grandpa's... You just gotta love them! And your bread... I am sure we will love this... When we get a kitchen back, and a stove, and I can bake again... this will be on my list! I need to convince my husband that sweet potatoes are worth loving! This bread (with streusel) may just do it!)

Katerina said...

I love sweet potatoes but never tried to make a bread! This is so fun! Happy New Year sweet Grace!

Sue/the view from great island said...

Between the sweet potato and the applesauce this must be a mighty moist bread--- it looks fantastic, and it just might lure me away from my favorite pumpkin bread --- looking forward to your 'casserole' variation, too!

Carolyn Jung said...

That is so funny. I think I used to eat my weight in my Dad's scalloped potatoes! That quick bread looks divine. I bet it's super moist, too.

Emily said...

Boy, it sure looks good! Nice and moist . I like that the first picture is sparkly....

~~louise~~ said...

I'm giggling over here as I read this post, Grace. It's just "bubbling" with "tater" goodness and pet names:)

I shied away from sweet potatoes for the longest time. It is only recently, and mainly because of Marion, that they are ever present in this house. I must remember that they freeze well too. I didn't know that.

I've baked Sweet Potato Pie for Marion but never a quick bread. I'm liking the ingredients in yours and I'm sure she would too.

It sounds to be like a bread that is quite able to stand on its own. They, I have found, are theeee best!!!

Thank you so much for sharing, Grace...Here's to a year filled with Sweet Potato dreams:)

Gloria Baker said...

This bread look amazing Grace, yesterday I saw sweet potato!
Look so good!
x

The Sea Salt said...

Looks so good! I love that it has both applesauce and sweet potatoes!