A Southern Grace: poultry appreciation

January 19, 2015

poultry appreciation

Yum

Winner winner chicken dinner.*


*Whether you hate him or find him entertaining (I fall somewhere in the middle, for the record), I'll always credit Guy Fieri with popularizing that phrase, whether he deserves it or not.

Chicken is definitely my protein of choice when I'm making supper. We'll have beef a couple of times a week (almost always in ground form), pork at least once (usually exactly like this)(because if it ain't broke, don't fix it), and scallops once in a blue moon. More often than not, though, chicken is on the menu.

My boyfriend's mom turned me on to this recipe; she made it for us when we were visiting over the holidays. I might've added a few twists of my own (and I would encourage you to do the same), but the basic idea is that you plop the filling for a chicken pot pie onto a square of puff pastry, fold it into a triangle, and bake it, resulting in a cute little package full of comforting goodness.


I daresay I'll never get tired of chicken, especially since there are endless ways to prepare it! As those ways go, this one is definitely worthy of a repeat.

Puff Pastry Poulet Pot Pie Pockets
Ingredients:
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Directions:
On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry sheet out to a 20x20-inch square. Cut that into 4 5-inch squares and place these on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover and chill.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery, and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes. Add peas and corn; sauté 3 minutes. Sprinkle thyme and flour over vegetables; sauté 1 minute. Raise heat to medium-high and stir broth and mustard into pan. Add chicken; cook until sauce is thick, 7 to 10 minutes. Add seasonings to taste, then transfer to a bowl and let cool.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Brush edges of pastry squares with egg. Spoon 1/4 of chicken mixture into the center of each; fold to form a triangle. Seal edges. Brush the tops of the triangles with remaining egg. Cut 2 or 3 slits in top of each and chill for 15 minutes.
Bake turnovers in preheated oven until golden, about 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes and serve.

21 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful idea! Those pie pockets must taste really good.

Cheers,

Rosa

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

This looks delicious, Grace! I love the idea of a hand held/individual chicken pot pie pocket.

Jenn said...

This is much appreciated, as I gaze into a pot of chx breasts in mid-poach and wonder what the heck I am going to do with them.

Pam said...

The pockets look awesome! I was just saying yesterday I'd like to find a good recipe for pot pies and this just may be the one. Thanks!

Barbara said...

Such a nifty idea, Grace. I've been eyeing a pot pie recipe that has a cute lattice puff pastry top, but this is even better. Nothing more comforting, is there?
(And I'm in the can't stand Guy Fieri camp.)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Grace, this looks like a big hug in pastry form! Had a bad day? Eat one of these and feel the love :D

Joanne said...

I can't say no to anything stuffed in puff pastry. Always a good life choice!

Pam said...

Handheld chicken pot pie? Um, YES PLEASE! They look tasty.

Angie's Recipes said...

So flaky and fantastic!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl said...

Major yummy, I'd love to hand hold this beauty!

Lean Lena said...

What a great idea! Sounds really delicious.

Lyndas recipe box said...

These look delicious....chicken pot pie is one of my favorite comfort foods, so your pies are calling to me.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

That is such a pretty package for the chicken! I give Guy credit for making the phrase so popular too :)

Katerina said...

I love chicken turnovers and make them quite often! These ones look absolutely mouthwatering!

Erica said...

What a great idea, Grace! I love small versions of dishes.....Fun and delicious!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Guy Fieri has his moments ;) This sounds delicious - I'd like one right now!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Pasties like this are the best, golden and delicious :D
Though of course Id fill mine up with veges!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Carolyn Jung said...

Even better than a chicken pot pie -- because you can hold it in your hands!

~~louise~~ said...

Guy Fieri is not as bad as some of them, I guess.

Chicken is a favorite around here too, Grace. We usually have it three times a week, fish once or twice a week and pork maybe once a week. It depends on my mood but chicken is the first go to and oh so versatile!!!

These hand helds are just perfect. How nice of your boyfriend's mom to share with you and for you to share with us. Thanks Grace...

Beth said...

That sounds great, Grace! Chicken is usually my first go-to meat.

I Wilkerson said...

This looks like a real family pleaser Grace!