A Southern Grace: step aside, cinnamon

December 11, 2014

step aside, cinnamon

Yum

Bet you never thought you'd see a post with that title on this blog.


Today, it's a true statement. I love cinnamon year-round, but it kind of seems to take a backseat during the holidays. Ginger and nutmeg come into the spotlight, and that's actually okay with me. Gingerbread cookies, Pfeffernüsse, and eggnog are staples of the season, and they just wouldn't be the same without their traditional spices.

It's a cinnamon sacrifice, and it's one I can make...at least a few weeks out of the year.


While I've never been a lover of eggnog, my boyfriend is a huge fan. Because I am a lover of him, I bought him some of the thick, nutmeggy stuff and made him a pie. It's based on the vanilla bean cream pie I made last summer, and the eggnog slips in perfectly. The sugar inside the pie is reduced a little and, because it's Christmas time, I let myself replace the cinnamon on top with nutmeg.


Confession: I didn't expect to like this creation at all, but I did, and because my guy loves me, he shared a few slices with me. It's creamy and rich and the nutmeg flavor is just right. I bruleed the top because I wanted a little extra decadence, but that part's optional. Broil at your own risk. This is a truly magnificent pie, especially if you love eggnog. It's definitely worthy of the big holiday meal, but it's perfectly fine in the days before the feast as well.

Eggnog Pie for Lovers and Dislikers of Eggnog
Based on this and this
Ingredients:
  • 9 inch pie crust, blind baked and cooled
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1-1/2 cups eggnog
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping:
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions:
In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch; set aside.
On low to medium heat in a medium-sized sauce pan, add 4 tablespoons of butter, nutmeg, and milk.
After the butter has melted, slowly add the cornstarch and sugar mixture.
Cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk just until the mixture is thick and creamy. This will take approximately 10-15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
Immediately pour the mixture into the pie crust and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg.
Place the pie under the broiler until the butter bubbles. Watch your pie carefully; this will not take long.
Let the pie cool to room temperature, then chill several hours before serving, preferably overnight.


14 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Heavenly! This pie looks fabulous.

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love custard tarts, so I am totally on board with this! I am a bit sceptical about bought eggnog though - it's pretty uncommon in the UK and the ones you *can* get have an enormously long shelf-life, which I don't think is a good thing in a dairy product.

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never had eggnog pie..this looks so beautifully smooth and delicious!

Lisa-Marie said...

MLK, sounds good! Egghead, brandy-ish custard deliciousness.

Juliana said...

Grace, the sound and the look of this pie it to die for...I love the idea of creamy filling...and lots of flavors with eggnog...
Hope you are having a wonderful week :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

This looks so decadent and so right for eggnog lovers like me!

Savor The Baking said...

I love the idea of egg nog in a pie around this time of year.

Barbara said...

Step aside cinnamon??!! I'm in shock. :)
Your pie looks like a winner, Grace. You've done a perfect job with it...no little holes, just lovely and creamy. It wouldn't last long around my house.

~~louise~~ said...

Oh, I don't know Grace, I kinda like cinnamon around the house this time of year. However, when it comes to anything eggnog, nutmeg takes first place!

I've been a very bad blogger by not promoting December as National Eggnog Month but you have just changed that. It's a perfect time for eggnog and your pie looks delectable:)

I'm sure your man not only appreciated it but enjoyed every bite. Thank you so much for sharing, Grace...I love that you Bruléed the top:)

Unknown said...

Great to see this, I'm allergic to cinnamon and it can be hard to find desserts and treats at the holidays without it.

Beth said...

I'm not a big fan of eggnog either, but after reading your description of the pie, I'd love to try it. Sounds wonderful!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I should make this! My dad and husband love egg nog, so it would be a hit, I'm sure!

I Wilkerson said...

I liked your vanilla pie which I made a while back--and I like eggnog (though not if it has too much nutmeg--I stick with the cinnamon now) so this would clearly be great!

Unknown said...

This looks so delicious and festive!
Kari
www.sweetteasweetie.com