A Southern Grace: lap of lemon luxury

August 29, 2013

lap of lemon luxury

Yum

Contrary to how it may seem based on my plethora of posts about lemon goodies, I don't really get excited about the whole sweet-tart combination in desserts.


You won't catch me ordering key lime pie, no sir. Not when there are things like coconut cake to be had.

Some people love a tangy, not-so-sweet treat, though, my significant other included. For that reason, I've found myself looking for variations on key lime pie (one of his favorites) and other desserts making use of tart fruits. When I spotted this pie on Mel's fantastic blog, I made plans to try it immediately.


As usual, Mel didn't disappoint. I may have changed up her recipe a little, but the result was the same. The filling is super creamy, and the balance between sweet and tart leans slightly in favor of tart, but not too much. Since Mel stated that the topping made using sweetened condensed milk began to weep after a short while, I opted to use traditional sweetened whipped cream instead--it was more convenient for my purposes.


This pie gets two thumbs up from my boyfriend and one thumb up from me, which is probably as much as I'll ever give any lemon dessert.

Pucker Up Lemon Pie
(adapted from this recipe)
Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups graham crackers crumbs
  • 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ginger
  • 5 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Zest from one lemon
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, salt, ginger, and butter in a bowl and toss with a fork until combined and crumbly. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes, until it is just beginning to brown. Cool the crust completely on wire rack.
Once the crust is cool, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Whisk the condensed milk with the egg yolks until smooth. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice. Pour the filling into the cooled crust and bake the pie until the edges are just set but the center still jiggles when the pie plate is lightly moved, about 15 minutes.
Let the pie cool completely on a wire rack and then cover and refrigerate until well-chilled and set, about 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
When ready to serve, using an electric stand mixer or handheld mixer, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped topping over the pie. Sprinkle the top with lemon zest. Chill the pie until ready to cut into slices and serve.



26 comments:

pam said...

one thumbs up is about the most I give anything that is not chocolate.

Rosita Vargas said...

Una explosión de sabores fantástco,hugs,hugs.

Jenn said...

I did not know that my brother loved tart desserts so much, though I do as well so it must run in the family. I will be definitely try this pie. And I am salivating over that coconut b-day cake you linked to. I just might have to make it for myself next year (fellow April baby). Do you have any carrot cake recipes in your yummy book of goodies?

Julie M. said...

Scott and I are the same way with regards to citrus desserts like this one although I am the one that loves them and he's the one that's more... meh. I think this looks amazing. I could easily down a piece right about now.

Becki's Whole Life said...

Only one thumb up?? You're crazy:-)..this looks amazing. I love sweet-tart desserts, particularly if they are covered with whipped cream and sitting in a graham cracker crust.

~~louise~~ said...

I agree with Becki on this one Grace, definitely a two thumber!

Today just happens to be National Lemon Juice Day! I think you've celebrated deliciously:)

Thanks for sharing, Grace...

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Luxurious and decadent!

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

Hmmm - the SO hasn't rated a mention before, has he? ;)

This looks JUST my affair! I love tangy desserts and I adore whipped cream. Pinning this one!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

That looks so deliciously perfect :D

Cheers
CCU

Blond Duck said...

I'm with you-- my mother in law loves but I'm not into tart desserts.

Angie's Recipes said...

I sure would love one large slice right now. The creamy filling looks so intriguing.

Pam said...

Coconut, cinnamon, and lemon desserts are my very favorite. This pie looks TASTY!

Mimi said...

Just send me your lemon desserts, I've got two thumbs and a fork for them.
Mimi

José Manuel said...

Exquisito el postre

Gloria Baker said...

Grace I love lemon desserts and this look amazing:)

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks simply incredible!
Mary x

Joanne said...

I'll totally take your slice if you don't want it! I love lemony desserts!!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I love key lime pie, and would no doubt love this lemon pie, too. There's something about the creaminess and the right combination of sweet and tart that I can't say no to. This looks perfect, good call on going with the whipped cream topping!

Beth said...

I have to admit that I often choose a lemon dessert, and it's for that sweet-tangy combination you mention. This pie looks great!

grace said...

@Jenn: I don't know if you'll see this and your brother said he'd have to hunt to find your email address, so it's worth a shot. I have quite a few carrot cakes in my archives, but my favorite is this one: http://asoutherngrace.blogspot.com/2010/04/upstaged.html

Anonymous said...

gorgeous looking pie,there is something so soothing about a key lime pie and any variations on such are a welcome thing at home,your pie looks beautiful....and the recipe is quite easy to make too,adorable food clicks :-)

Blond Duck said...

Happy Labor Day!

The Teacher Cooks said...

How did you make the top of the pie so pretty! I love this recipe and have not made it in a long time...

Katerina said...

I love chocolate but once in every blue moon I enjoy a citrus dessert as well. I suspect I would love this one as well!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

As far as pies go, lemon isn't always my number one pick but I'll never turn it down ;) it looks wonderful!!

Laura said...

Lemon is practically my favorite thing after chocolate. This is wonderful.

Were you as disappointed in SHIELD as we were?