A Southern Grace: it's bean too long

August 2, 2013

it's bean too long

Yum

I haven't posted a soup recipe since 2009. Dang. It's not because I'm not making and eating them, I think it's more to do with the fact that they're a)not extremely photogenic, and b)rarely the result of an actual recordable recipe.


This is a good soup, and not only because it makes use of the ever-popular kale. (In truth, I almost used a different green on principle alone; I do hate to conform.) It's fairly basic but super flavorful, containing nearly all of my favorite herbs. Plus, I find that white beans cook up quite nicely, staying soft but still retaining their shape and not turning into complete mush.


You can start with a mirepoix, or course; I didn't have any carrots, so I skipped those. Feel free to bump up or dial back the garlic as you see fit. I mentioned that this soup contains almost all the best herbs (rosemary and thyme are numbers two and three behind only cilantro on my list) but if you prefer others, go for it. If you use tarragon, though, we can't be friends--that stuff's foul.

Under the Tuscan Bean Soup
Ingredients:
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans cannellini or northern beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 cup dried, rehydrated overnight)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
  • 2 ribs celery, finely diced (about 1 cup)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced on a microplane grater
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 potatoes, diced and parboiled
  • 2 quarts chicken stock, plus extra water if needed
  • 2 sprigs rosemary
  • 3 sprigs thyme
  • 1 sprig oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
  • 3 to 4 cups roughly chopped kale or swiss chard leaves
Directions:
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion, celery, and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Add the potatoes, cannellini beans, and chicken stock. Using kitchen twine, tie the herbs and the bay leaf into a bundle and add to the pot. Season with the red chili flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, then add the kale. Continue cooking until the beans are completely tender but not disintegrated. And hey--don't forget to fish out the bundle of herbage. Nobody wants to eat that.



19 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Comforting and surely delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Beth said...

You've managed to make this bean soup very photogenic! Nicely done.

José Manuel said...

Se ve fantástica la receta.

Saludos

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Only you can make me crave soup in the middle of a summer day! :)

Angie's Recipes said...

A very satisfying and delicious soup!

Rosita Vargas said...

Se ve fantástica y reconfortante adoro las sopas,hugs,hugs.

pam said...

Since 2009? Really? I haven't let the unphotogenicness of soup stop me. Silly spellcheck thinks unphotogenicness is not a word.

Gloria Baker said...

Love this soup look tempting!!

Joanne said...

It's so true...soups are almost IMPOSSIBLE to photograph! But yours looks so hearty delicious!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

You're right - soup recipes can be difficult. Many times I just throw stuff in the pot and don't really measure... This bean soup looks really comforting and yummy.

nutmeg nanny said...

I feel like I can taste this soup, It sounds and looks wonderful!

Leslie said...

I love love love soup too. I always forget to blog about it! This looks scrumptious!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl said...

I love bean soup. It's one of the soups my mom made alot as a kid, always a favorite!

Dianne @ Sweet Journey Home said...

As soon as the temperature dips down here in Iowa, I want to make this. It reminds me of my favorite Italian soup. Yum!

lisa is cooking said...

Kale and white beans are lovely together! What a great mix of hearty and healthy in soup form.

Juliana said...

The soup looks very comforting and loaded with flavors...love the creaminess of this soup.
Have a wonderful week ahead Grace :D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe well I'm glad that you used kale (even though I did think "Oh Grace is a rebel" even unconsciously!). This looks like a hearty soup!

My Kitchen Stories. said...

I on the other hand have resisted Kale with an almost herculean force. I am sure it makes this soup quite irresistible non the less. I love tarragon can we still be friends , cause I like your blog

I Wilkerson said...

I am getting ready to start planning my soup-making for fall (can you believe that?!). I love the inclusion of greens since I will have kale and swiss chard in abundance soon!