A Southern Grace: white mint can't jump

February 22, 2013

white mint can't jump

Yum


Get it? Fans of Woody Harrelson, Wesley Snipes, and/or the game of basketball know what I'm talkin' about.


White chocolate and mint is a pairing I've done often--it's one of my favorites. I've brought it back again, this time in the form of cheesecake. The mint flavoring is so bright and refreshing, it really does a lot to lighten up the rich, creamy decadence that is white chocolate cheesecake. The green swirl on top is just for fun.


In case you were wondering, my favorite thing about that movie other than all the awesome basketball being played was the attire. God bless the early 90s.

Mint White Chocolate Cheesecake
Ingredients:
Crust:
  • 7 whole graham crackers, crushed
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
Filling:
  • 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 5-6 drops green food coloring, optional
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 8 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Make the crust: In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and sugar. Then, stir in butter.
Press onto the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of a greased 9- or 10-inch springform pan.
Bake 8 minutes, and then remove from the oven and cool completely.
Make the cheesecake: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until very well blended, about 5 minutes.
Beat in the flour and extracts until well blended.
Add eggs and yolks. Beat on low speed just until combined.
Stir in white chocolate and pour filling over crust.
Add drops of food coloring along the top of the batter and swirl with a toothpick, if desired.
Wrap pan in 3 layers of aluminum foil and place it inside another pan with high sides.
Put the pan in the oven, and then add water to the larger pan so that it reaches about halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
Bake for 45-50 minutes (longer for 9-inch pan) or until center is just set.
Turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake inside for another hour.
Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Cool 1 hour longer, and then refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, before removing from pan.

28 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm not a big fan of minty treats, but I'm sure I'd love that wonderful cheesecake!

Cheers,

Rosa

Leslie said...

I love that move!!!!
your so cheeky with your titles....love it.
Oh and I love the cheesecake too!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I could have sworn you were not a cheesecake lover! I love the sound of this though.

grace said...

@Foodycat: you're totally right. the people around me can't get enough, though, so i oblige. :)

Lora said...

I love the idea of pairing mint and white chocolate. This cheesecake is so pretty as well.

pam said...

You always make me smile. The title was perfect, the cheesecake even more perfect.

Pam said...

I've never had mint cheesecake before. It looks so pretty & tasty. Perfect for St. Patrick's Day.

Sue/the view from great island said...

I agree with Leslie, your titles are the best. This cheesecake will be on my table for St Paddy's Day--- Thanks Grace!

Unknown said...

I have never made an actual cheesecake before, only the no-bake kind. I have time and energy...oh and inclination, and this little cheesecake fits the bill. Thanks

My Kitchen Stories. said...

Looks great. I am sure the comb would be perfect. The texture looks beautiful

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I am not the happiest mint eater but this cheesecake looks so exceptional :D

Cheers
CCU

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Bahaaa! I had to take a peek at the picture. And let's just say that there are no photos of me around that era too ok? :P

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I'm not usually a fan of minty desserts but white chocolate cheesecake? Mmmmm can't say no to this!

Angie's Recipes said...

This would be great for St. Patrick's Day buffet table!

Gloria Baker said...

Look beautiful Grace!!love this!

Rosita Vargas said...

Hermoso pastel de queso me encanta luce exquisito,abrazos y saludos.

Erica said...

This cheesecake looks amazing, Grace!Love the green color and the mint flavor sounds interesting and delicious!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love mint, especially with chocolate. This looks yummy, even if it can't jump. :)3

Beth said...

My girls are big fans of the mint/chocolate combination, and I know they'd love this! (P.S. love the fashion reference.)

Barbara said...

And just in time for ST. Paddy's Day too. :)
Love the combo, Grace. Just not a fan of Woody Harrelson. Oh well, we can't all like the same movie stars. It'd be boring.

Savor The Baking said...

I love the play on words with the title. This looks like a great recipe.

I Wilkerson said...

This would be perfect for St Pat's--better than a Shamrock Shake!

Kerstin said...

I love mint and these are so perfect for St Patty's Day!

Congrats on your cupcake win too!!

Katerina said...

I am sure the mint gives this refreshing kick a white chocolate dessert needs! I love the swirl also!

Joanne said...

White man may not be able to jump but I hope that cheesecake can...into MY MOUTH.

Amy said...

I love mint and chocolate together. (just posted a recipe for that, in fact). But I usually use dark chocolate. I've gotta give this a try. I love the pretty white with the gorgeous green in your cheesecake!

Carolyn Jung said...

Perfect for the upcoming St. Paddy's Day. The color is gorgeous!

vanillasugarblog said...

I am a huge fan of mint.
Have I made a mint cheesecake?
Noooooo.
Am I?
Yesssss