A Southern Grace: bits and bytes

February 27, 2013

bits and bytes

Yum


As a kid, I can remember always looking forward to licking the beaters after my mom made chocolate chip cookie dough. It wasn't until much later that I realized that it wasn't just me who thought the dough was more satisfying than the baked cookies and that many women people prefer it that way, salmonella and all.


I'm sure many of you have seen chocolate chip cookie dough dip floating around on some of your favorite blogs. This recipe is based on that creation, but with toffee bits used in place of chocolate chips. They add a buttery crunchiness that I find superior to plain morsels.


I also added a bit more powdered sugar, and what I ended up with was something more akin to a spread than a dip. If you want a softer bowl of goo, go with the lesser amount of powdered sugar. Either way, though, you won't be going in a bad direction.


Bonus: There are no eggs involved here, so salmonella is off the table.

Toffee Bit Dip
Inspired by this recipe
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1-2 cups powdered sugar, depending on your preferences
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup toffee bits (mine were chocolate-covered)
Directions:
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the brown sugar until it dissolves and the mixture starts to bubble. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and let cool.
In a separate bowl, cream the cream cheese and powdered sugar together for 60 seconds. With the mixer on low speed, add in brown sugar and butter mixture. Mix until combined. Stir in the toffee bits.
Serve with 'Nilla wafers, gingersnaps, or graham crackers. Anything, really.

34 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That dip is wonderful! I really like the idea.

Cheers,

Rosa

TKW said...

I still let my kids lick the beaters. Salmonella be damned!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have just the cookies I need for this dip or spread.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I feel like such a freak because I have never liked cookie dough or cake batter! I hate that raw flour flavour.

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh my.

Ho do you feel about it being served with shortbread?

pam said...

Fantastic!!! I love cookie dough, and really don't give the whole salmonella thing a second thought, but it would be nice to play it safe!

grace said...

@Lisa-Marie: i think that sounds like a great idea!

lisa is cooking said...

Yep, guilty as charged. I've always liked the dough more than the cookies. This dough dip would be a dangerous thing to have in my house!

Pam said...

Problem with this is... I would probably eat the whole bowl in one sitting.

Sue/the view from great island said...

Is it just me or is that last little cookie dough sandwich sticking out its yummy tongue at us?

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Mmmm what a wonderful idea :)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Joanne said...

I would ALWAYS rather eat cookie dough than cookies...it's a problem. This dip...a definitely problem. In the best possible way.

Barbara said...

Well, that's a brilliant idea. I almost wish I hadn't visited you today, Grace. :) One thing I don't need is another irresistible way to consume calories.
While I don't crave chocolate chip cookie dough, toffee pieces are another matter entirely.
Giada makes a refrigerated apricot nut cookie (one of my favorite recipes) that rarely makes it to the oven as I keep taking chunks of it raw right out of the fridge. And yes, there is an egg in it.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Dip, where have you been all my life? :P

Betty said...

I'm not a raw cookie dough fan, but this I'm pretty sure I could eat with a spoon! :)

Gloria Baker said...

Really yummy Grace!!

Jeff @ Cheeseburger said...

I too consider dough to be more satisfying than baked cookies.

Caroline Taylor said...

Does it get much better than this? Amazing!

Von said...

I've always been the weird one who doesn't like cookie dough (or cake batter!)......haha. Though this dip sounds really interesting!

Sandy said...

Um. All I can say is "Dangerous!" LOL

Miss you, Grace! Hope you're doing well!

Katerina said...

When I was a kid I never thought about salmonella. Weirdly enough neither my mom was thinking about it and when she was making a cake she always kept the two last spoonfuls of the batter for me and her! Now I wouldn't even think of doing it lol! This dip though sounds like fun and most of all safe!

Julie M. said...

Ohhh.... I love the addition of toffee chips! I could literally eat a bag of those beauties on their own merit. Nice dip Grace!

Rosita Vargas said...

Realmente exquisito Grace me encanta tiene un aspecto perfecto y delicioso,abrazos y abrazos

Savor The Baking said...

what!!! Chocolate cookie dough in the form of dip? What a confectionary masterpiece. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Angie's Recipes said...

The dip looks fabulous!

Amy said...

hehe...I know, I always enjoy the cookie dough than the baked cookies. Same as my baby girl. I love that you used butterscotch chips to replace the chocolate chips, I love that crunch too. This definitely is a fun and delicious dip!

Unknown said...

I keep seeing that chocolate cookie dip around but haven't tried it yet. Toffee is one of my favorite sweets in the world, though, so I will have to try this recipe when I do make an attempt at it :)

I Wilkerson said...

I am so with you on the cookie dough! What a great idea to simulate it as a dip (sans salmonella ;-) )

Emily said...

Oh goodness this dip sounds amazing! It seems like dips are all the rage these days. Mmm. Sorry I have not been by much. I'm getting caught up on my blog reading now! I didn't have much time in school.

Nic said...

I would eat that dip every day if I could!

Nic said...

I would eat that dip every day if I could!

Carolyn Jung said...

I have to say I'm the rare person who doesn't get the fuss about raw cookie dough. LOL But these little beauties might just change my mind. ;)

Dana said...

At the beginning of this post I was worried; a friend of mine went on and on and on about this chocolate chip cookie dough dip she found on pinterest. And! it was healthy! because it was made with a chickpea base.

Chocolate chip cookie dough should not have a chickpea base. It was so awful. So so so awful.

Your dip, meanwhile, looks tasty! Especially wedged in between some cookies.

chefgonin said...

Interesting recipes, good pictures, very tasty resemble the Mediterranean cuisine which we do in Spain.
We invite you to visit my blog from Spain, with traditional recipes from the State of
Valencia.

http://valenciagastronomic.blogspot.com.es

This week " traditional Valencia pumpkin fritters " and the coming week " (Mona de Pascua) traditional Easter bread " going to lose?
In my blog you can find a translator to your language

I invite you to place the code html in your blog to have direct access with the news of Valenciagastronomic