A Southern Grace: brooklyn bridge and sweet sorrow

June 28, 2008

brooklyn bridge and sweet sorrow

Yum

Our last hurrah in the city was a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.


Manhattan truly is a magnificent place, even under ominous skies.


As a fitting end to the trip, we went to a lovely little bakery called Crumbs. Mixed feelings abound (how can anyone hate on butter and sugar?), but I thought there were oodles of appetizing choices. After much deliberation, I settled on the caramel apple cupcake:


I got a face full of icing with that first bite, and I liked it. I liked it a lot. I also liked the surprise waiting for me inside:


(cinnamon-y baked apples elate me)(especially when surrounded by moist cake and topped with abundant heavenly buttercream frosting)

Jamie opted for the peach cobbler muffin:


(gots ta love that crumb topping)

Katie immediately knew what she wanted--the cappuccino cupcake:


(topped and filled with a rich coffee-flavored icing)(and apparently a rogue red sprinkle)

I had been resisting, but can now be counted as a fan of cupcakes.

I can also be counted as a fan of New York City (Manhattan, at least), mostly because I had an awesome tour guide, a terrific travel companion, and lots of good food.

One last food note: After putting Katie in a cab for the airport, James and I stopped at The Hummus Place on our way to the train station. What a glorious place (as many can attest), this center for all things hummus. I got hummus with tahini, and I can tell you that the people seated around me on the train were shooting me some looks, either from pure envy or a distaste for the smell of garlic. Sorry, fellow travelers--it tasted fantastic and I wasn't stopping for anything.

Thank you so much, James! In the words of my favorite he-man-turned-actor-turned-governator, I'll be back.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the Brooklyn Bridge beautiful? And, the view of Manhattan is unlike anything you can experience while you're still actually on the island. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of the cupcake until now? What! Well I'm glad you got your bad self all straightened out!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a fun trip. Years ago I gave my dad an interesting book about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, it was a fabulous read. Never had the chance to see it in person.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I'm glad you had a good time--it looks like a fun trip! Also, those are some yummy looking cupcakes.

Emily said...

Great roundup of your trip! I feel like I was there.

Hard to say what cupcake or muffin I would have picked. I think the apple one.

allaboutattitude said...

that is such a good shot
and a brave one too

Leslie said...

Love the NY photos!!
OMG..the danish briad was really yummy! I have no idea how much of it I ate..but it was too much!

Trisha said...

Hi! Found you through Noble Pig's site and have to say - loved the pictures and the commentary! It looks like you had an awesome trip! I am jealous!

Chef Jeena said...

Now I am so hungry for some cupcakes, they look SO good!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the caramel apple, I love it when there's a little surprise in the middle too!

Nic said...

I'm enjoying the photos! I would be having the cappuccino cupcake too!!

Anonymous said...

You know, I never get sick of the view of the Brooklyn bridge. Next time you're in town, here's an insider's tip: take the Q, B or F train from Manhattan to Brooklyn at dusk. It goes over the Manhattan Bridge and is still, no matter how many times I take the train into the city from Brooklyn, never gets old. Just hope your train goes on the top bridge track!!

It's been nice to see my city from a travelers point of view.

LyB said...

What a fun trip you had! Thanks so much for sharing with us, I really enjoyed hearing about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Grace,
It sounds like while I was away for the weekend in dusty dry Albuquerque, you were enjoying the delights of NYC. I took my first trip there about 3 months ago and enjoyed every moment of it, it's just a foodie Heaven. I didn't post about it (pre-blog) but did post some of my favorite photos. I'm going to have some fun reading all your Big Apple posts!

BREE said...

I love this Bridge
and this city drives me crazy !

where are you located ?
I'm near Paris, France, Europe, Earth
cheers
kind regards
BREE