A Southern Grace: bobby flay, ya done good

June 26, 2008

bobby flay, ya done good

Yum

When Jamie asked me if eating at a Bobby Flay restaurant would tickle my fancy, I told her that would be an understatement. She must really love me, because she booked reservations at Mesa Grill soon afterward.


Upon being seated last Saturday night, I immediately became completely and totally captivated by the menu. There were so many options that sounded right up my alley, and, as usual, I had a hard time deciding. Don't worry, I was quite pleased with my final selections.

I apologize for the blurry pictures--I didn't want to waste time fiddling with the camera. Me and my buds wanted to eat!

The bread basket, a nice variety:



(blue corn muffin = excellent)

My appetizer was black bean soup. It was so creamy, slightly sweet yet still spicy, and utterly delicious.


Black Bean Soup with Toasted Cumin Crema + 3 Relishes of Tomato-Serrano, Avocado-Tomatillo + Grilled Red Onion

The cumin crema gave a terrific smoky flavor and the three relishes were all wonderful, with my favorites being the fiery tomato-serrano and the smooth-like-buttah avocado-tomatillo. So, so good.


(Look at that chunk of avocado. Just look at it.)

My entree was a chile relleno:


Cornmeal Crusted Chile Relleno filled with Roasted Eggplant + Manchego Cheese with Sweet Red Pepper Sauce + Balsamic Vinegar

The filling was so luscious and flavorful, and spiced perfectly to boot. I didn't need the salt shaker at all!


(the innards)

Jamie and Katie each got a queso dip:


Goat Cheese Queso Fundido with Rajas + Blue Corn Tortilla Chips


(cheesalicious)

James also got the ribs:


Barbecued Country Ribs with Mango Habanero Glaze + Green Onion Peanut Relish

Katie also got a smaller chile relleno...


Anaheim Chile Relleno filled with White Cheddar Cheese, Black Beans + Rice

...and the mashed potatoes with cilantro pesto:


(the only disappointing dish of the evening--not enough pesto!)

Jamie's friend Leslie joined us and got the mushroom grits, promptly proclaiming that they were quite possibly the best thing she'd ever put into her mouth.


Creamy Wild Mushroom Grits with Poached Egg, Charred Serrano Sauce, Cotija Cheese + Blue Corn Tortilla Crisps

I don't care for mushrooms, but I have to admit that they were extremely tasty. I've often heard dishes described as complex, and now I can honestly say I know what that means. It was a lovely marriage of flavors and textures.

This was a super exciting and satisfying experience for me. Great food and great company--ya just can't beat it with a stick.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to go to Mesa Grill, that would tickle my fancy too! That Chili Relleno looks killer.

Anonymous said...

Grace- The meal looks great, I would order it all. Lucky for you and glad you had a chance to eat at Mesa Grill.

Cakespy said...

Honestly, I think I would have probably filled myself up on the bread course--it looks so good!! But then looking at the rest, it looks like it's all worth saving an appetite for. Mmm, great experience from the look and sound of it all!

LyB said...

Oh, my gosh, Grace, you are so lucky! And I'm really glad you got over your fear of whipping out your camera at a restaurant, it's fun seeing all those great dishes you guys tried. I am totally jealous! :)

Vicarious Foodie said...

Oh my God I'm so jealous of you!! I've asked Adam to take me to the restaurant of a FN chef for my bday . . . I'm not holding my breath.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! Great looking meal. I wanna go there! Did I mention I'm jealous?

test it comm said...

Look at all of that tasty food. I will have to try a Bobby Flay restaurant if I ever get the chance.

Nic said...

Oh you lucky bag! Your chille relleno looks like it was perfect.
Where's the puds?

Deborah said...

I'm jealous!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Lucky girl...Bobby Flay and Tex Mex:D

giz said...

How did I miss this post? You lucky duck - and now hearing you gush about it, I have to go.

pam said...

Oh my gosh! You are so lucky!

Lore said...

I might have devoured that bread basket. Does that make me strange? The chile relleno looks mighty scrumptious too!

Sharon said...

Lucky gal! I would go just for the bread basket & black bean soup alone.

I'm passing along a blog award to you as well for all your great posts!

Emily said...

Oh MAN! I'm so jealous. I want to slap you right now. Just kidding.

Everything looks delicious!

Elle said...

I'm speechless. And hungry.

Michael said...

I have always wanted to eat here. Thanks for the great review and outstanding pictures! I almost felt like I was there.

That Chile Rellenos looks AMAZING!!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't Mesa Grill fantastic?! I ate there once about 5 years ago and while I don't remember the specifics about what I ate, I do remember one special aspect - I got to meet Bobby!! :-)