A Southern Grace: think pink

August 15, 2016

think pink

Yum

I'm pretty picky about most things onions.


If there are raw onions on a sandwich or salad, I will pick off every single sliver, no matter how long it takes. There's something about the taste they leave in my mouth that I find absolutely repulsive and they overtake and spoil every other flavor for me. I can't stand them.

Caramelized onions, on the other hand, are a welcome addition to just about anything. I love their sweet and gooey nature, and I make them regularly for things like frittatas and burgers.


So where do pickled onions lie on this supremely drastic scale of mine? Right smack in the middle. I enjoy them very much in certain applications, tacos and taco salads being my favorites. I can't handle them on their own, though--they need to be teamed up with other strong flavors to be tolerable to me.

One point in favor of pickled red onions is the glorious pink hue that emerges after a bit of time has passed. What fun! They not only add a sharp, exciting flavor to a dish, but they bump up the beauty considerably! Another plus? They pretty much couldn't be easier to make. I highly recommend CAREFULLY using a mandolin to get thin and even slices, unless you happen to be a master of knife skills.

I might be on what can only be described as a pickling rampage these days, and these pink pickled onions are some of my best work!



Pinkled Onions
(printable recipe)
Makes 1 quart
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup apple cider or distilled vinegar
  • 2 cups water
  • 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 red onions, thinly sliced
Directions: Whisk first 4 ingredients in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Place sliced onion in a quart jar; pour vinegar mixture over. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour, then refrigerate.

12 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I always have a jar of pickled onions in the fridge :-)) They are so good with roasted potatoes :-))

Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen said...

Yum! I love pickled onions on sandwiches and tacos! And they look so pretty. :)

Elsa | the whinery said...

I love, love pickled onions, especially in salads and sandwiches, but once I make them I usually find an excuse to add them to anything I can get away with. That pretty pink colour just calls to me! :-)

Pam said...

YUM! I love pickled onions and always have them on hand. They look tasty Grace.

Marcelle said...

I love pickled onions on bbq sandwiches with pulled pork or smoked brisket! Yum! Your recipe is good, classic one and yes they are pretty in pink, Grace. :)

Juliana said...

Oh Grace, I love this pickled onion, but never had a chance to make it...thanks for the recipe...I will sure have a jar of pickled onion for my "future" salads and sandwiches...
Have a wonderful week :)

Carolyn Jung said...

I adore pickled onions. They enliven so many things -- from a burger to a salad to a tuna salad sandwich. Plus, they are just so pretty in pink, too.

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

I've never made pickled onions, so I am intrigued!! This looks like a beautiful painting. :)

Marjie said...

Those are great just for the prettiness factor! Who doesn't need some pink in her kitchen, after all?

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

Wow that color is stunning! You could make artwork with that pink

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I don't know that I have ever seen a pickled onion before! I have more than enough onions to give these a go. Hoping that these will get the seal of approval from my husband, as he sounds exactly like you when it comes to raw onions!

Unknown said...

LOVE pickled onions but every recipe I've tried calls for boiling the brine which usually keeps me from making them. Can't wait to make your recipe it really does sound easy and looks gorgeous too!