A Southern Grace: plum job

August 29, 2016

plum job

Yum

This cake marks two firsts: Not only have I never baked with plums before, but I've also never tried a David Lebovitz recipe!


Now that I've done both, I feel confident in saying I'll do both again, early and often.



What a glorious dessert. Just looking at the components was enough to convince me that I'd love it.

Fluffy cake, buttery, crunchy almond topping, juicy and sweet-tart plums, and a brown sugar glaze--who could possibly resist? The procedure is easy and quick and the payoff is HUGE.


David used cardamom in his cake, which I unfortunately don't keep on hand. I used cinnamon its place, a spice which I find so comforting and delicious, though next time I think I would like to try it with some cardamom to see what all the fuss is about.

While this cake certainly doesn't need any accompaniment (or even that utterly sinful glaze--gasp!), I can and do highly recommend eating the cake slightly warmed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.


I've been particularly enjoying stone fruits this summer and I'll be sorry when their season is over. That said, I've gone ahead and reserved a large space in the freezer for sliced peaches, nectarines, and plums so they'll be available when the mood strikes.

A Plum Plum Cake
Credit where credit is due
(printable recipe)
Makes 12 slices
Ingredients:
Topping:
  • 3 plums, each pitted and sliced into 8 wedges
  • 3/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup bown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Cake:
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
Glaze:
  • 2 tablespoons butter, salted or unsalted
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform cake pan.
In a small bowl, make the topping by mixing together the sliced almonds, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter, until everything is evenly mixed. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer in a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Add to the eggs to the creamed butter one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
Add the vanilla extract.
Stir in half of the dry ingredients, then the buttermilk, then the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Do not overmix.
Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan. Place the plums over the top in an even layer, then spread the almond topping over the plums.
Bake until the center just feels set, about 55 minutes to one hour. (A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean of any cake batter.) If the top is browning too fast, drape a sheet of aluminum foil over the cake pan and finish baking.
Let the cake cool completely then remove the sides of the springform pan.
To make the glaze, mix the butter, brown sugar, milk, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring gently.
Reduce the heat and cook at a low boil for 3-5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla, then drizzle the glaze over the cake.

14 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks heavenly! Plums are some of my favorite fruits.

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...

We love plums..and your plum cake looks gorgeous, esp. with that glorious glaze :-))

Adina said...

Looks sooo good! I love plum cakes and make at least one every autumn, but I've never tried a David Lebowitz recipe either, although I've s a his blog for years now. I have to give this a try!

Pam said...

Beautiful & delicious! I've only cooked with plums a few times... this recipe looks like a keeper!

lisa is cooking said...

What a great-looking cake! And, that glaze--I'm swooning over here. I need to go get some plums right away.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I've never baked with plums. And David Lebovitz? I just clicked through to him, and oh my....
I trust ya, so I will be pursuing baking with plums, and pursuing this David fellow :)

Elsa | the whinery said...

Yum! I've been wanting to make plum or apricot cake before the season ends. This looks delicious!

Beth said...

I baked with plums the first time this summer, too, and I loved the results. Your cake looks spectacular, and I'd love to add it to my wish list!

Valentina | The Baking Fairy said...

Aren't plums the best? I am seriously loving this cake and that brown sugar glaze... swoon! Pinning!

Gloria Baker said...

absolutely wonderful Grace !! Love it!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

How do you cut such perfect slices Grace? I can never do that! :P

Unknown said...

Oooh this cake looks so comforting and delicious! I just want to take my fork and snag a big bite from that first picture. Those action shots are too fun Grace!

Marcelle said...

Grace, this cake looks wonderful! Plums are my favorite fruit so I'm always happy to add a great recipe using them to my collection. I bookmarked this one and that brown sugar glaze looks delicious!! :)

Kate said...

Oh my goodness Grace, this cake looks divine!!