A Southern Grace: mammy-made dilly beans

September 10, 2008

mammy-made dilly beans

Yum

Some of you expressed interest in the Mammy-made dilly beans I mentioned in my squash soup post, and I'm happy to say that she was glad to oblige.


Here are her exact instructions:

-Fill pint jars with tender, stringless raw beans with the tips removed (I prefer Tenderettes.)
-Also put in one clove fresh garlic, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and a small head of dill.
-Heat together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup salt, 2 cups vinegar, and 2 cups water. Fill jars with this hot syrup. Screw on new lids and process 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
-Make up the syrup again as needed since the amount required is correlated to how tightly packed the jars are.
-Of course, you can substitute other forms of garlic, peppers, and dill.


They are delicious, and frankly, I'm upset that I only came back with one jar.

Meanwhile, I've been a naughty bloggerino.

I've been sitting on a couple of awards that I need to acknowledge and pass on. I was honored to receive the Brillante Weblog award from OhioMom of Cooking in Cleveland, Kelly of Sass & Veracity, Lucy of Sweets, Savories, etc., Bunny from Bunny's Warm Oven, and Helene of La Cuisine d'Helene. I sincerely thank you all!


I was also recognized by Lori of Luscious with the I Love You This Much Award. As a native Texan living in Manhattan, she chose to pass it on to other bloggers who are a bit out of place (location-wise) and center their blogs around it. Great idea, Lori!


I want to pass this award on to a few gals who've quickly become some of my favorite bloggers: Nat of Hot Off the Garlic Press, Erinn of Sunday Dish, Tiffany of The Garden Apartment, and Veronica of Supermarket Serenade. Four ladies, four crackerjacks. If you don't know them, you should.

35 comments:

Veronica said...

Aw, shucks...I love you too! Thank you for the award.

Anonymous said...

can't wait to make these! Here in good ol' houston, some establishments put their hot/dilly beans in a bloody mary!!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love canned beans and asparagus too. I don't can as much as I used to ..in fact probably not at all these days but I know it is hard work:D

Prudy said...

I never heard of dilly beans until a couple of years ago. One of my friends makes them, just like that with all her garden veggies. And then this year in New Orleans-can't remember which restaurant-they put some on our salad. I was surprised at how good they are and I vowed to make them myself and then forgot. Now I remember so thanks for the inspiration. Writing it down to make now.

Peter M said...

Grace, I dig this stuff...I'm puttin' on my overalls, listening to Conway Twitty and eatin my dilly beans.

Do I make a convincing Greek Confederate? lol

Robin said...

The bean recipe is so simple! I didn't realize how easy it could be to have my own! Is Mammy your mom or grandma. We called my grandma, Mammy so it is sweet to hear that name again!

Marjie said...

Anything in a mason jar just looks awesome, doesn't it?

Maria said...

I have never been a canner but I really should try it some time. I know it is a lot of work but probably worth it.

Albany Jane said...

Ooh, these beans sound really refreshing. I'm getting a bit sick of the usual sauteed beans, so this will do nicely!

Anonymous said...

that sounds delicious - I had pickled asparagus recently too for the first time. you're lucky your mammy makes these!

Suze said...

never have tried those...but have always wanted to! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Pickled green beans are fantastic! I might do a 'refrigerator' version and skip the canning.

OhioMom said...

These look delish! I was all set to can this year, but it never happened, maybe next year ?

Anonymous said...

Grace, I lurv, lurv, lurv anything pickled. I used to drink the rest of the pickle juice out of the jar when I was a kid (gross, I know, but delicious at the time!)
I don't know much about "canning" though. Yikes!
Thanks for the award - the love fest is 100% mutual!

Sandie said...

Very cool Grace, and tasty too! Ranks right up there with pickled okra (my personal favorite).

Thistlemoon said...

Those look super yummy! I really want to start canning! Such a great way to stock the pantry with goodies!

Deborah said...

I just bought a canner, and these sound so easy!!

kat said...

oh, I have a bunch of beans in the fridge....

Lucy..♥ said...

WOW!! they sound just amazing, I love those flavors, ... on the list to make ;-)

Pam said...

Oh Grace, I love this recipe. These take me back to my childhood. I totally need to start canning.

Sandy said...

I love dilly beans, Grace. But I've never canned them ... some day (when I have time!)

Paula said...

Ooooh, the dilly beans are sweet and tangy beans! YUM! I wish I had jars of these lining my shelves. I just love that *shwop* sound the lids make the first time you open them! Congrats on your awards!

Gloria Baker said...

I like this! xGloria

Anonymous said...

That pickle recipe sounds great. And I love the name "Mammy Made Dilly Beans" too! Congrats on the many awards too :)

La Bella Cooks said...

I used to love when my grandmother brought out her jarred goods! Congrats on the awards...very well deserved.

Sophie said...

Congrats on the awards. I've never had these :)! I've only had plain ol' pickles...I'm boring :P.

Laura said...

I am fascinated. I want someone to make them for me so I can try one.

Bunny said...

I've never canned anything but my sister does and I will pass this recipe along to her. maybe she'll be nice enough to teach me how to can ....nah she's not that nice.

The Blonde Duck said...

Congrats! You deserve it. Your blog is a joy to visit! Those beans look fabulous.

Gigi said...

Congrats on the awards! I used to work at a restaurant that garnished bloody mary's with dill green beans! Looks fantastic Grace!

LyB said...

You're so lucky your mom makes such goodies! I've recently started canning, only jams though, and it's quite a lot of work! I might start thinking about canning veggies, now that you've tempted me and all. :)

Anonymous said...

Dang I would love to try these, they sound wonderful and I'm sure they are since they are mammy-made!

Ann said...

I have heard of Dilly Bars (from Dairy Queen) - but never Dilly Beans - so this is totally new to me. The flavors sound AWESOME though - all you had to say was garlic, that's IT. :)

Jeanne said...

COngrats on the awards - well-deserved :) And these beans sound wonderful! The three-bean salad I often make also features a balance of sweet and vinegary flavours which I love, so these sound perfect.

Natalie Que said...

Um... Hello?! How did I miss this post!? I don't subscribe in readers because I hate them, so I guess a few posts slip by my archaic, manual blog checking methods. But seriously, not YOUR blog should I have missed a post, and not when your giving ME an award!

Thank-you Thank-you! I'm so honored and flattered! It means so much to get an award from such a classy, witty blogger like yourself!