A Southern Grace: relish the bite

August 2, 2018

relish the bite

Yum

Cucumber relish.The cucumber extravaganza continues!


We have SO many pickles now, both dill and bread and butter, and frankly, I'm sick of making them. I needed to do something a little different, so I chose to make some relish. It was surprisingly uncomplicated and easy, thanks to my handy dandy food processor (I can't and don't want to imagine doing all the chopping by hand)(we're so spoiled these days, aren't we!?!).

This is perfect for topping hot dogs, something we have often in the summer. It's also a great addition to potato salad and it complements pork tenderloin beautifully. Now that I know how simple it is to make, I'm wishing I had several jars of relish in the pantry instead of jar after jar of pickles!

Pickled Shredded Veggies
(printable recipe)
Adapted slightly from this recipe
Makes 2 pints
Ingredients:
  • 2 green peppers, grated
  • 6-8 cucumbers, grated (about 3 cups)
  • 1 onion, grated
  • 2 cups white vinegar, divided use
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • Scant 1 tablespoon pickling salt
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seed
  • 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
Directions:
Combine prepared green pepper, pickling cucumber, and onion in a large stainless steel (or enamel-coated) pot.
Stir in one cup of vinegar and bring to a simmer.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have cooked down and the liquid is reduced by about 1/3, about 30 minutes.
Drain the vegetables, discard the liquid, and return the vegetables to the pot.
Add the remaining vinegar, sugar, and spices. Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes, then remove the pot from the heat.
Fill your sterilized jars, wipe the rims, and apply lids and rings. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (starting time when pot returns to a boil). Remove jars from pot and let cool on a towel-lined counter.

16 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Now you have me want to rush to the supermarket and get some cucumbers to make some relish! Would be great to pair with some salmon cakes too :-))

Unknown said...

I wish I had this 2-pint recipe before I made the one had (10 pts!)

Marjie said...

I add relish to my tuna fish instead of chopping pickles. We are indeed spoiled by our technology. Your relish looks wonderful!

Inger@Art of Natural Living said...

I made several jars of pickle relish last summer with the idea that I would make a lot of tartar sauce. Oops...

Food Gal said...

Just staring at those beautiful jars has me hankering for a hot dog! Seriously! ;)

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I love canning and this relish looks perfect!! So yummy!

Unknown said...

Yum! I wish I had both--pickles and relish. I'd love to spend time finding new and different ways to them all!

Pam said...

Why have I never thought of making relish? What a great idea!

Gloria Baker said...

Looks soo good Grace!

Pam said...

I just made dill pickles but have never made relish. Yours sounds great and I'm wondering why I never thought of that. Thanks!

All That I'm Eating said...

This is such a great colour and it sounds delicious! I can imagine it being used with all sorts of meals.

Robotance said...

Working with a food processor certainly makes work easier. I have made a relish in my kitchen multiple times and every time I had loved it. But I had never tried to make it with cucumbers. Thanks for the recipe.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Your garden must have done very well! What will we do with all our free time once the veggies are done growing?!

Marcelle said...

Now I'm craving a hot dog with some of this wonderful looking cucumber relish! This looks so good, Grace!

Emma - Bake The Eat said...

This is another great way to use up cucumbers, this relish looks so good Grace :D

Inger@Art of Natural Living said...

I made relish last year when I got tired of making pickles so I totally get it. I had a tartar sauce recipe that used pickle relish which made it even easier to justify. Hmm, reminds me I need to try that recipe.