A Southern Grace: pucker up

June 26, 2018

pucker up

Yum

Lemon coconut impossible pie. I make impossible pie as my personal dessert treat at least once a month.


I'm all for variety, but sometimes, as soon as I finish one, I make another. It's just so delicious. I usually make it exactly the same way--I could do it in my sleep at this point--but when Nielsen-Massey offered to send me some of their Organic Pure Lemon Extract to try, I decided it was time to make a little change.


Surprise! Sometimes change can be good! And this was very good. The lemon extract, which is made from California lemon oil and rounded out with peel notes, added such a bright burst of sunshine (as it is wont to do) and made my favorite dessert extra refreshing and flavorful. I won't lie--I'll probably go back to the original next time, but this is a good alternative to have in my back pocket!

Burst-of-Lemon Impossible Pie
(printable recipe)
Serves 8-10
Ingredients: Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9- or 10-inch pie plate (an 8x8-inch dish works too!) with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and add in the cooled, melted coconut oil or butter.
Blend in the sugars, flour, and salt, then whisk in the milk and extracts until thoroughly mixed.
Stir in the zest and the coconut, then pour into the prepared dish.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until the coconut becomes golden brown on top and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. The temperature inside should be at least 170 degrees F.
Let cool on a wire rack, then cover and refrigerate--it's best served well-chilled.


16 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

look beautiful Grace ! I love all with lemon ! x

Velva said...

lemon and coconut are a natural pairing...Very nice dessert.

Always,
Velva

Angie's Recipes said...

I would love a slice with my tea now, Grace. Looks really delicious!

All That I'm Eating said...

I love anything with lemon so I know this would be great.

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

I love all things lemon, especially with coconut. This sounds delicious!

Pam said...

Love their extracts! This pie has me drooling. Bookmarked.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I am always smitten with any sort of lemony dessert and this pie is no exception!

Unknown said...

I've never made an impossible pie before but you had me at lemon! Throw in all that coconut and the fact there's no pie crust to deal with (I make the worst, dry, cracked, awful pie crusts) and I can't wait to make this stunner. I've been hanging onto a bottle of Nielsen-Massey's lemon extract for a few months with no clue what to do with it - thanks for the yummy AND easy recipe.

Inger@Art of Natural Living said...

Mmmm! And I love the idea of a monthly personal dessert treat!

Food Gal said...

A touch of lemon is welcome in most anything. It brightens anything and makes any baked good sunnier. ;)

Marjie said...

I used to make Impossible Pie with Bisquick. That was about a million years ago, but still. Yours with lemon sounds delightful!

Adina said...

It looks very good and I am very tempted to make a pie that you like so much to make it all the time.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

It seems we all love lemony things so count me in for a slice of this cake.

Unknown said...

Lemony coconuty goodness sounds perfect! And, I'm wondering why I've never made an impossible pie. Need to make this.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

As a coconut lover this really, really speaks to me!! :D

Emma @ Bake Then Eat said...

Oooh, coconut and lemon sound delicious, what a great pairing.