A Southern Grace: lickety split

January 9, 2018

lickety split

Yum

Split pea soup. Ham hocks are pretty awesome.


I can think of a few things you add to soups while they cook and remove at the end--bay leaves and thyme sprigs are two examples. The most important one that comes to mind is the humble ham hock. It delivers a meaty flavor that you just can't achieve with bullion cubes or actual pieces of ham, and certain soups are lost without it!


Split pea soup is one in which the flavor of ham is essential. Unfortunately, I didn't have a ham hock at the time of making this, but I did have a bag of dried split peas with a packet of "ham flavor," whatever that might be. The finished soup did taste a bit of ham, but it wasn't nearly as satisfying as the hock would've made it.


That said, we really enjoyed this soup--it had a very pleasant texture and without that hit of ham, we were able to taste the herbs more clearly. Nutritious and delicious!

Ham Hockless Split Pea Soup
(printable recipe)
Serves 6-8
Ingredients:
  • 1 (16-ounce) bag dried split peas (preferably with ham flavor packet!)
  • 1 onion, peeled and diced
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 7 cups chicken broth
Directions:
Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and set slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours.
Remove bay leaf and thyme stems, then use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree if desired.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and add water to thin as needed.

15 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love all things legumes! So tasty even just simply seasoned with salt and pepper. Your soup looks really warming and delicious, Grace.

All That I'm Eating said...

One of my favourite soups! I have only made it once but I saved the water I used for boiling a ham and then used that to cook the peas. Delicious.

Pam said...

I love ham hocks in soup too but it looks like this split pea soup looks delicious without it. Love the white hearts on top. :)

Katerina said...

How creamy and delicious! I love soups especially during winter!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Love everything about this especially the herbs. Split pea is one of my favorite soups. When we drive to Oregon there is a place in northern CA called Andreson'Split Pea restaurant that serves an all you can eat bowl of soup, love it!!!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

My husband would definitely approve of your soup as it has been blended smooth just the way he likes it.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

With the next cold snap we have coming, this would be perfect!

Unknown said...

I love this kind of soup, so comforting and always delicious!

lisa is cooking said...

This is the perfect answer to the cold front headed our way today! I love how thick and lovely it looks.

Gingi said...

Oh wow, my split pea soup never looks that good!! haha! - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

Oh my word, I just love split pea soup. And now you have me craving it! Happy Sunday!

Food Gal said...

With a big wedge of crusty bread and a bowl of this, I am good to go. a perfect meal for a winter night.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I love split pea soup! Yours looks prettier than mine usually does :)

Agness of Run Agness Run said...

This is an excellent soup recipe which seems truly finger-licking. I love such creamy soups!

Marcelle said...

Yum! I actually have a recipe for this soup coming up over on my page too before winter is over. Our recipes are very similar. I might have to move it up in the schedule though, because now I'm craving it :) Wonderful pictures in this post, Grace!