A Southern Grace: put up your dukkahs!

July 25, 2017

put up your dukkahs!

Yum

Pistachio dukkah chicken. Though I'm not what anyone would call an adventurous eater, I've definitely branched out quite a bit during my pregnancy. I don't want to do anything to deter our daughter from eating eagerly and fearlessly!


This chicken recipe isn't wild, but it's different from what I normally prepare--the particular blend of spices is new to me. It's called dukkah, and it's an Egyptian blend consisting of herbs, nuts, and spices. Though hazelnuts are traditionally used, I had pistachios on hand and decided to give those a try instead.


What a delicious and exciting dish! The coating is so crunchy and flavorful, and the spices work so well together. Those Egyptians know what they're doing in the kitchen! This recipe makes enough dukkah for four servings of chicken, so if you're only making two, be sure to save the rest of the blend--you'll want to use it again, I promise!


Delightful Dukkah Chicken
(printable recipe)
Serves 2 (easily doubled!)
Ingredients:
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 tenderloins
  • 3/4 cup pistachios
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
  • 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions:
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a small saute pan over medium heat and add the pistachios. When they are toasted, remove them from the pan and set aside.
Add the sesame seeds, coriander seeds, and coconut and toast until they are golden.
Place all the above ingredients in a food processor and blend until a coarse meal forms--don't make a paste!
Add the cumin and chia seeds and stir to mix.
Place half of the dukkah mixture in a shallow dish and store the other half in an airtight container for another use.
Meanwhile, beat the egg in a shallow dish large enough for the chicken breasts.
Place the flour on a shallow plate. Season with salt and pepper.
Dredge the chicken through the flour, shaking off the excess, then coat with the egg wash.
Now coat the chicken with the dukkah mix, pressing gently to make sure it adheres.
Bake on a greased rack on a baking tray in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is 165 degrees F.

20 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love dukkahs! Wonder who doesn't? :-)) The tenderloins look really super encrusted with pistachio dukkah, Grace.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Dukkah is such a wonderful mix, I have enjoyed it on bread and a topping on salads, never thought to make a crust with it, looks amazing!!!

Marjie said...

I've never heard of dukkah! It sounds like it would be a little on the sweet side. The crunch and flavors must be a big change from traditional fried chicken.

lisa is cooking said...

What a great crusting for chicken! I wish I always had a supply of dukkah ready to use.

Pam said...

Dukkah is new to me, and it sounds pretty good! Pistachios are great and this would be a good recipe to try. Thanks!

Emma - Bake Then Eat said...

That coating sounds amazing, I am loving all those spices and nuts.

kellypea said...

You're pregnant!!! Congrats to you. (Such the not clued in former blogger here.) This means that yeah, I'm up there in age. Oh well. Anyway, I love dukkah. I have a friend who is a much more diverse traveller than I am and she brings back recipes and spices so that I can try them. This is one. There are slight differences but I think that it's a regional thing. Looks delicious.

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

I'm a texture freak so this is right up my alley. I've heard of dukkah (on Top Chef maybe?) but never actually knew what it was. Thank you for informing me! I need to try it!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Your dukkah looks nice and nutty! And I love that you want her to eat eagerly and fearlessly :D

Juliana said...

Grace, I absolutely love how dukkah sounds and looks, and so delicious used to coat chicken and can only imagine how a bite would taste...yum!
Enjoy the rest of your week :)

Agness of Run Agness Run said...

This is one kind of chicken recipe which I haven't tried. It seems mouth-watering, Grace!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I have never had this and it sounds wonderful Grace! "Eating fearlessly"--love it! Your new daughter is off to a great start!

Pam said...

Yum! I've never made a dish like this before but it looks and sounds wonderful. I even have almost all of the ingredients on hand. :)

Tania|MyKitchenstories. said...

This is my kind of dish. i love dukkah and paired with pistachio would be heaven. i do hope she does eat everything when she is born......sometimes they don't no matter how hard you try.

Unknown said...

I've never had dukkah before but now I want to encrust everything :) It looks so crunchy and hearty, can't wait to try it with some veggies, thanks for the recipe!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

This looks delicious, Grace! I love the texture and all the spices.

Adina said...

I discovered dukkah not so long ago myself and I so love it. I often make some to add to soup, mixed with a bit of olive oil but coating chicken in it sounds amazing. I am already thinking about trying this tonight.

Unknown said...

This recipe is fantastic! We made it as written but used slices of firm tofu instead of chicken. The crust stayed on great and made a tasty crisp and hearty coating, such a nice contrast to tofu’s spongy texture.

I love that the dukkah recipe made extra, can’t wait to try the remaining mix on other foods, thinking scrambled eggs or avocado toast would be delicious. Thanks so much Grace for introducing me to what I’m sure will be a staple in our house.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Sounds tasty, and I love the color that the pistachios give the mix!

Food Gal said...

Dukkah is so great on just about everything. I especially love it on roasted veggies like carrots.