A Southern Grace: totally transcendent

June 1, 2017

totally transcendent

Yum

Lazy daisy cake. Bold statement: This is the most delicious cake I've had in quite some time. Our wedding cake* is probably the most recent cake that can even come close!


*Our fresh wedding cake, I should make clear. To say that tasting it out of the freezer on our first anniversary was disappointing would be a drastic understatement.

Perhaps you've heard of the lazy daisy cake; if you haven't, I can almost guarantee that your grandmother has! It's an oldie-but-a-goodie, and it has so many things going for it. It quite easy to make (hence the name), plus the cake itself is SO soft and fluffy and moist, and the topping is HEAVEN. As I took my first bite of this cake, the angels began singing "Hallelujah" and I was taken to my happy place.


You might also know this as a hot milk cake, sensibly named since the milk is heated and added with the butter at the very end. Blending the eggs and sugar first and adding the fat at the end is not an order I've used before, but the results are remarkable! I've also never tried replacing cake flour with a combination of all-purpose flour and cornstarch, but that seemed to work too. Maybe I just got lucky on my first attempt at this cake; I'll let you know, because I have a feeling I'll be making it again and again!

I really can't describe how delicious this simple little cake tastes, and I implore you to try it yourself. If you won't take my word for it, take it from the hundreds or thousands of grannies who consistently made it for their families years ago!

Crazy Lazy Daisy Cake
(printable recipe)
Serves 9
Ingredients:
Cake:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup cake flour (I used 1 cup less 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
Topping:
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8- or 9-inch square pan.
In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla on high until thick and lemon-colored, about 4 minutes.
Combine the flour (and cornstarch, if using), baking powder, and salt and add to egg mixture; beat on low just until combined.
Heat milk and butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan until the butter melts.
Add this mixture to the batter and beat until blended.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes for a 9-inch pan (25-30 minutes for an 8-inch pan) or until cake tests done.
Cool slightly, then poke all over with the handle of a long spoon (I made 16 holes).
To make the topping, simply blend all ingredients well, heating briefly in the microwave if necessary, and spread over the warm cake.
Place under the broiler for about 3-4 minutes or until the top is bubbly and lightly browned.

17 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

What a delicious looking cake! It has such a tender moist crumb and that sweet coconuty topping looks utterly yummy!

Unknown said...

seems delicious i like all home made cakes they taste better than outside
nice blog
keep on cooking

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

This sounds so light and fluffy! And the coconut on top is just perfect :). Have a great weekend Grace!

Pam said...

I ALWAYS love any dessert that stars coconut so I know I will love it. Can't wait to make it!!! Bookmarked.

Unknown said...

This cakes look delicious. I wish I could take a bite. :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I've never heard of this cake before but it does sound delicious! I like anything lazy daisy :) Have a great weekend!

Marjie said...

The topping sounds wonderful! I'll bet it would be great with a dollop of whipped cream too.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I have not heard of this cake before, but I need to have it after your review! It looks super yummy.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

I love little cakes like this, looks and sounds amazing Grace!!!!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Wow, with two daughters home from college next week, I think it's time to make cake!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I've heard of this cake but have never had it. It sounds delicious with that coconut topping.

Adina said...

Mmmh! I have already baked a cake today, but I feel like starting again. Your cake looks so soft and moist. And it's great that it is made with ingredients I always have at home.

All That I'm Eating said...

I love that it's called a crazy, lazy daisy cake. It looks delicious, like the sound of the method too, not one I've used before either!

Katerina said...

Bookmarking this for sure! We are all great fans of coconut!

Unknown said...

Wow!! This is one yummy recipe that I want to make right away. Lovely cake and beautiful flavors. Yum.

Food Gal said...

Cakes like these are classic for a reason -- they are good through and through generation after generation. Yours came out beautiful, too!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Hmmm... This reminds me of a cake I lost the recipe to years ago, but I new as Dandy Candy cake. Must make and see if this is the one I remember! It was a favorite!