A Southern Grace: fired up! #AllStarSnackBar

January 24, 2017

fired up! #AllStarSnackBar

Yum

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #AllStarSnackBar #CollectiveBias

I don't mind watching football--it's a game I understand and have actually played many times--but for me, the big draw to any game is the food being offered!


I suppose nearly everyone has a favorite football team, whether they're based in or near the city in which you grew up, the guys with the most attractive jerseys (or faces...), or the athletes your mom or dad enthusiastically followed. In my case, I tended to root for the team my older brother liked, and i we changed allegiances fairly often. Regardless, football is a blast to watch, especially when there are snacks within arm's reach.


One of my favorite football foods is popcorn--it's easy, fast, versatile, and relatively nutritious. Orville Redenbacher® in particular strives to make their popcorn be the best quality for the occasions that are most cherished, and I turn to their products for noshing time and time again.


I doctored up a bag of Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Butter popcorn for our latest football-watching extravaganza. Since my husband and I both LOVE Mexican street corn (an ear of corn that's grilled and slathered in a spicy mayonnaise spread, sprinkled with crumbly cheese and cilantro, and served with a lime wedge), I was inspired to translate that into a batch of flavored popcorn.


It was so easy! I popped the corn according to the directions on the bag, then tossed it in a mixture of melted butter, mayonnaise, lime juice, and hot sauce. Once it was all coated with the wet stuff, I added seasonings like paprika, salt, and sugar, then topped the whole bowl with some feta cheese and chopped cilantro. The result was an addictive, flavorful, complex snack that makes even the closest game more exciting. Tip: If you find that the popcorn begins to get soggy after the first quarter or half (if it lasts that long!), just pop it in a 300 degree F oven for 5-10 minutes--it'll crisp right up!


Visit this site for more recipes and inspiration to make any football gathering extra memorable! Walmart will have everything you need...except for maybe tickets to the next home game.

Mexican Street Popcorn
(printable recipe)
Makes 8 cups
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 8 cups popped popcorn
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
  • Cilantro, for garnish
Directions:
Whisk together the melted butter, mayonnaise, lime juice, and hot sauce in a small bowl.
Separately combine the salt, paprika, and sugar.
Pour over 8 cups popped popcorn; gently toss to coat.
Quickly toss the wet popcorn with those dry ingredients, then top with crumbled cheese and chopped cilantro, if desired.


17 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Not really a fan of popcorn, but these look really good with all the spices and cheese!

Pam said...

How creative and tasty Grace! I have a feeling my daughter would especially love this.

Pam said...

Spicy is good! I like football and popcorn too so this sounds really good!
Perfect SB fare!

Juliana said...

I am loving the idea of dressing up the popcorn...this sure looks and sounds delicious Grace...loaded of all kind of flavors....thanks for the post.
Have a wonderful week ahead :)

Adina said...

This is really original, I have never heard of popcorn made this way. I bet it tastes great!

Tania | My Kitchen Stories said...

I never thought of adding those things to popcorn. I am learning here!

Samantha said...

I am a huge fan of Cilantro, so I will definitely be trying this! (client)

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I bet that popcorn of yours disappeared quickly…terrific idea.

Gingi said...

What an amazing post!!!!!!!!! I HAVE TO try this!!!! (My mother in law is a huge popcorn fan, pinning this for later!) - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl said...

I love the kick of lime you added to this! Everything is better with lime!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I loove home made popcorn! I usually go sweet but this looks SO good Grace! :D

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Alas my beloved Packers lost last week, so no more football snacking for me until next year. This looks so good though Grace--a double shame now...

Maris said...

I love elotes so I bet Mexican Street popcorn is equally delish!

ps – i just stumbled on your blog again for the first time in AGES after I was reading some old posts/comments on my blog. So glad to have found your site again and will definitely be catching up. hope to see you around in good taste again soon! i'm over at www.ingoodtaste.kitchen :-)

Food Gal said...

That's popcorn as a meal! ;)

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

This would be a big hit at my house, love how you spiced up this popcorn. Looks delicious!

Barbara said...

What a super snack, Grace. I love savory...have never liked sweet on popcorn. (even though my dad made the best caramel popcorn ever!) This has everything...spice, tang and even cheese!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Oh girl.... You just added to my shopping list. I must have makes this asap.
Seriously. I need this!