A Southern Grace: a side of toppings #RealTasteForRealLife

June 28, 2016

a side of toppings #RealTasteForRealLife

Yum

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RealTasteForRealLife #CollectiveBias


Who decided to put pineapple on pizza? I'd like to know, and I'd like to give him or her a very enthusiastic hug.

If someone were to ask me my favorite pizza topping, I'd have to say pineapple. There's something about that juicy, sweet ingredient that combines perfectly with the salty cheese, tart sauce, and bready crust, at least to my palate. Coming in right behind pineapple would be green peppers--I like their subtle zip and crunch!


There are many options for frozen pizza these days, ranging from your bargain brands to the fancier varieties that are likely to cost almost as much as a fresh pizza. When I'm staring at the freezer case, Freschetta is what ultimately goes into my cart. It's made with high quality ingredients like 100% real provolone and mozzarella cheese and sauce that comes from sun-ripened tomatoes. The crust rises naturally with no chemical leaveners. Freschetta believes that you should feel good about what you serve to your family, and I agree.


Though Freschetta has a Canadian Bacon & Pineapple pizza (not to mention Brick Oven Mushroom & Spinach and Naturally Rising Sausage & Pepperoni, among others), I got two basics at Walmart to pair with my pineapple and pepper salsa--5-Cheese and Pepperoni.


What a great combination--a bite of gooey cheese pizza chased with a scoop of sweet pineapple and spicy jalapenos just makes a mouth rejoice. I should note that the jalapenos I used were the very first to be picked from our garden, and they were SMOKING hot! So...handle with care, folks. Handle with care.


Find out more about Freschetta on Facebook and Twitter!

Pineapple Salsa with a Kick
(printable recipe)
Makes about 4 cups
Ingredients:
  • 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 1-2 bell peppers, seeded, cored, and chopped
  • 2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup julienned basil
  • 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
  • Zest and juice of 2 limes
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
In a large bowl, combine pineapple, bell and jalapeno peppers, basil, and toasted pecans.
Add lime juice and zest and cumin and toss to coat.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Let the salsa sit at room temperature or refrigerated for 30 minutes or so to let the flavors marry.
Serve with tortilla chips (or a spoon!).

10 comments:

Pam said...

Pineapple is my favorite topping on pizza too. I might have just dropped a big spoonful of the yummy salsa on top of the pizza and devoured it. YUM!

Angie's Recipes said...

We adore pineapple and anything made with it. Your salsa looks great!

jackhensick@gmail.com said...

This dish looks incredibly tasty, thanks for the share!

Margie P. said...

This recipe looks amazing! Thank you! (client)

Juliana said...

I too like pineapple on my pizza...the pineapple salsa looks great...like the fresh basil in it...is sure sounds delicious.
Have a great week Grace :)

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

I bet your salsa is delicious, I made a mango one last week and we ate it all in 2 days.Great idea to use on pizza.

janice15 said...

It looks great and I too love Pineapple eat it often, this would be great on a pizza thanks for sharing Janice

Catherine said...

A delicious summer salad. I love sweet and spicy.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Pineapple is mediocre for me, but I do love it on a pizza. And, I love the sounds of your salsa recipe. Pineapple just may be moving on up in my book!

Marcelle said...

Grace, my favorite toppings on pizza are pineapple, ham and green olives! I agree about the sweet/salty ingredients being the best combo. Love fruit salsas too and your pineapple salsa sounds fantastic!!