A Southern Grace: it isn't dead, it's just resting

October 12, 2015

it isn't dead, it's just resting

Yum

Chivalry, that is.


I definitely don't want to get into any sort of conversation about feminism (and people who know me might suggest that I usually don't want to get into any sort of conversation at all...), though I might be dancing around the topic a bit in this post. You've been warned.

My current job has quite a few physical requirements. Some days I lug around 50-pound bags of flour and sugar or carry 30-pound boxes back and forth across the facility. That said, I've been very pleasantly surprised that several of my fellow employees are always offering to help. On one hand, I'm delighted that these guys are willing to do the heavy lifting for me, but on the other hand, I stubbornly feel like since I can do these tasks (albeit slowly and with little to no grace), I should do them, tiny female frame or not.


What's a pretty petite lady to do? It depends, though it seems like I refuse the assistance more often than not. Either way, I appreciate their chivalry, and to thank a few of the guys who've been particularly kind, I decided to bake some banana bread for them. They've paused their jobs to help me with mine, so it's really the least I could do. I'd like to think that with this gift, those debts are currently paid in full.

Coconut Crumb Banana Bread
(printable recipe)
Makes 1 9x5-inch loaf or 12 mini loaves
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 overripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Crumb Topping:
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup decimated crunch donuts (6 small donuts should be plenty)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, using paddle attachment of a stand mixer or your hand mixer, beat together the sugar, butter, and vanilla until light and airy.
Add the egg and beat until smooth and fully incorporated.
Beat in the buttermilk and bananas.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet until all the flour is incorporated.
Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and pour in the batter.
Make the crumb topping by combining the powdered sugar, crumbs, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter with a fork in a small bowl.
Crumble the mixture over the batter in the pan.
Bake 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

18 comments:

Barbara said...

Good grief! Never heard of crunch donuts. I'm intrigued. Clever girl...adding a crumble topping. This looks so good! And how nice of you to reward the gentlemen. When I go to the gym, I am amazed at how many men hold the door open for me...I'd say 90% of the time. That's impressive. (Of course, it could be my age. I've finally let my hair go white 'cause I'm sick of all the hours and dollars spent in the beauty parlor and all of a sudden people are treating me like a really old lady. It's been enlightening, let me tell you.)

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I love the idea of a crumb topping, though I'm going to have to follow your link to find out what a crunch donut is! This is a nice gift to repay your co-workers for their assistance.

Marjie said...

I'm not quite sure why feminism should preclude getting help from men with totin' and haulin'. I do appreciate chivalry, no doubt about that. And I"m betting your co-workers will be ever-chivalrous with rewards like this coming their way. Crumb topping on banana bread is inspired - and now I'm going to find out what a crunch donut is.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Grace, this loaf looks amazing, love the crumb topping.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm all about the bread thank you gifts too. And coconut, be still my bearing heart!

Katerina said...

I am doing everything myself as well! I even fix the faucets at home! I love the bread especially the topping!

Marcela said...

yum! the loaf looks fantastic!

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

I bet the chivalrous guys were delighted! Because this looks seriously delicious. You go girl!

Adina said...

I used to think banana bread was bähhh! Nowadays I keep making it in one form or another and I just love it. Your version looks delicious!

Unknown said...

There really are never enough banana breads in the world and this beauty is a perfect example. Look at you making a crumb topping from broken up donuts--LOVE!

Carolyn Jung said...

What a thoughtful -- and delicious -- gift! I bet they will lug everything for you now just to get more baked treats. I know I would! ;)

Pam said...

I bet you can do your job perfectly, and I bet from now on, after baking them your great banana bread, they will be more than willing to help you. That was very nice of you. One of my sons loves banana bread so this is a must try with that great crumb topping. Thanks for sharing, pinned it!

Angie's Recipes said...

I totally adore that crumble topping. The bread looks beautiful and delicious, Grace.

Pam said...

I love this bread! Coconut, banana, cinnamon? Yes please! I am sure the guys loved it. Due to a bad lower back, I am always grateful for a little chivalry when it comes to heavy lifting.

Unknown said...

The loaf looks awesome

Unknown said...

This topping sounds amazing!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I haven't made banana bread in forever, I think I must have gotten bored with it. But, THIS is definitely NOT boring. Sounds like the most debt repaying loaf of bread ever :)

I Wilkerson said...

What a clever way to "update" banana bread. There's never a bad reason to bake for others!