A Southern Grace: saved by the sauce

August 27, 2015

saved by the sauce

Yum

Okay, so even though my honey likes his pork shoulder without any glitz or glamour, I'm only human. I occasionally often make mistakes.


As much as I love my slow cooker, some items just can't handle five to six hours of cooking followed by five to six hours of sitting on warm. That was true of the last hunk of pork shoulder I prepared for my hunka hunka burnin' love. It was a particularly long day and by the time we got to dinner, the meat had a few patches that were undeniably bone dry.


What's a gal to do? Why, throw together a delicious sauce, of course! I went the Korean route, which is a cuisine I wouldn't expect myself to enjoy but actually find quite tasty. After shredding the pork and applying this quick and easy-to-make sauce, we had a dinner that was different from the norm and completely delightful! Don't tell me I can't roll with the punches. Unnamed reality TV cooking competition, here I come!

Speaking of competitions, there's still a little bit of time left to enter my TOUCH brewer giveaway! Do it!

Korean-style Barbecue Sauce to Rescue Poorly Cooked Pork
(printable recipe)
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions:
Whisk all ingredients together until sugar has dissolved and mixture is smooth. You can make this a few days in advance and store tightly covered in the refrigerator.
When your pork is overdone, shred it up and mix it with the sauce until thoroughly and evenly coated.
Serve on tortillas and top with slaw, sliced scallions, pickled veggies, or all of the above.

19 comments:

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

You know, pork and I have a love/hate relationship, but this is inspiring me to try again! Looks so goooooood.

Joanne said...

I think everyone has those slow cooker moments. Good job on saving the day with this sauce!

Angie's Recipes said...

The pork doesn't look dry to me...but all the same I love the sauce. I am glad that it has saved the dinner.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I love slow cookers, but between my work hours, and commute time, I am often just a wee bit late in getting the food from the crock to the table.
I've never made a sauce like this, but I trust ya so it is going on stand by for the next overly done slow cooker meal :)

Pam said...

Dried out pork is no good but adding this tasty sauce would surely save the day! It sounds tasty.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I like your plates!

Pam said...

Way to go with the sauce, but the pork was delicious! You can roll with the punches, girl! :-)

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl said...

Yummy sauce, I'd love to throw this some black bean burgers too! :P

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I do love pork shoulder and I do love your solution too! I have a fridge full of sauces-the whole fridge door and the first shelf has lots of sauces in it so clearly I am a sauce fiend :D

Erica said...

The sauce sounds very good good! I love the combination of flavors!

Marcela said...

Sauce sounds perfect ! Love the ingredients!

dedy oktavianus said...

wow, stunning delicious photograph!!!
Dedy@DentistChef

Barbara said...

Love your bbq sauce! I'd put it on all sorts of things. Good save, Grace, but I'm thinking more like great invention!

Gloria Baker said...

Look wonderful Grace :)

Gloria Baker said...

Look wonderful Grace :)

I Wilkerson said...

Looks delicious--and I still have a fair amount of pork left from last fall's half pig! (Tough problem ;-) )

Beth said...

Hooray for last-minute fixes! This one looks great.

Katerina said...

A girl has to do what a girl has to do to make things right! Your idea was excellent and I am sure you had a wonderful to enjoy! At least it looks like it!

Food Gal said...

A great save! I can see how hoisin sauce would work well on this. But then, I find hoisin pretty delicious on so many things. ;)