A Southern Grace: challenge accepted!

November 20, 2014

challenge accepted!

Yum

I've always been extremely competitive. If someone claimed claims to do something better than I, you'd better believe I'll do my darnedest to prove otherwise.


I even find myself trying to move my cart around faster than the lady next to me in the grocery store and out-walk others on the sidewalk and in the mall. I can't help it.

When people started raving about the pumpkin cream cheese muffin at Starbucks, I took it upon myself to recreate it at home, and I think I did a really good job. Granted, I had to give Starbucks even more money than I normally do in a week's time in order to obtain a comparison sample, but it was a necessary evil.

These tasted great, especially considering I'm not what you'd call a pumpkin-lover. They looked a lot like the Starbucks version and, in retrospect, I should've saved the sample for side-by-side pictures rather than devour it. (Oops.) They were a little bit more pumpkin-y, which I obviously didn't like, but that was the only drawback. In making them myself, I got to adjust the spices to my tastes (and put extra cinnamon in the filling!), plus I knew exactly how long ago they'd been made and precisely who had touched them with their grubby little paws. (One never can tell...)


More perks, if you're feeling lazy (as I so often am):
*Skip the cream cheese filling altogether and just shmear them with it later.
*Mix the pepitas right into the batter or omit them completely.
*Turn the batter into a loaf or a (cream-cheese-frosted) cake (8x4-inch or 8x8-inch, respectively).

One last aspect of these that seals my victory over Starbucks in this war battle is the price-point. My cost was a mere fraction of the $2.65 they charge for one muffin. So there. Neener neener. I win. Chew on that (...and a muffin).

Anything-You-Can-Do-I-Can-Do-Better Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Makes 10
Ingredients:
For the muffins:
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • Scant 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), optional as garnish
For the cream cheese filling:
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Fill 10 muffin cups with paper liners or spray generously with non-stick spray.
Mix all dry muffin ingredients together.
Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and stir just until mixed.
Spoon mixture into muffin cups, filling each at least 3/4 full--we want a nice dome on these!
To make the filling, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and cinnamon with a hand mixer until thoroughly combined and smooth. Push or squirt about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling into each muffin such that a little circle of cream cheese still shows on top.
Sprinkle pepitas along the edges of each muffin, pressing in slightly.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, turning halfway through. The cream cheese may brown a bit, but that's okay
Let cool in muffin tins for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to complete cooling.

25 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

You competitive Grace? I never would have guessed:)

Well, you certainly have pushed that cart way past Starbucks with these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins.

Not only do they look delicious, they sure look rather enticing too:)

Thanks for sharing, Grace...

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Exremely tempting! This muffins is irresistible.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

These sounds yummy! I’ve been so obsessed with apples for fall that I’ve neglected pumpkin! Must make these soon!

Pam said...

Funny! I've done the same with a grocery cart a time or two. Your muffins are a winner for sure. A must try, thanks for the recipe!

Beth said...

Pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting are awesome. Putting the cream cheese inside is even better! Great idea!

Alicia Foodycat said...

However, yours can't be kept on a shelf for a month and just dusted intermittently...

Marjie said...

Delicious looking. Well worth out-walking everyone else!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

LOL Grace you are so funny! Pushing trolleys? :P Adorable! Now these pumpkin muffins sound delicious. I am going to buy some pumpkin on the weekend and give them a go :D

Carolyn Jung said...

A little competitive, are we? LOL That is hilarious. But I bet your version tastes way better than the Starbuck's one because it's made with utmost care -- plus that competitive spirit. ;)

Lyndas recipe box said...

Oh my goodness Grace....these are so tempting. Love the addition of pumpkin seeds, cream cheese, and the 2 teas. of cinnamon! :)

Von said...

I'm not competitive normally, but when it comes to food I'm just like you ;) There's always bound to be a recipe out there that can beat someone else's version haha.....

These pumpkincream cheese muffins look so good!! Don't even need to picture in comparison to know that yours beat the Starbucks one!

Pam said...

Mmmmm!! I seriously think my coffee would be WAY better if I was eating one of these beauties with it.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

You definitely win over Starbucks! I would want cream cheese in the filling and smeared on top... :)

Juliana said...

Yes, I had these from the Starbucks...and love it! Thank you so much for the recipes...I sure will be making them!
Have a wonderful weekend Grace :)

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

You beat Starbucks all day everyday :D
These muffins look absolutely incredible!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Emily said...

Oh my goodness! Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie! I love pumpkin muffins.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Livin' where I do, I don't get to Starbucks, but I am glad that you do so that you could have the inspiration for this recipe! Sounds delish!

Angie's Recipes said...

They look incredibly delicious...and I just can't get enough of pumpkin!

La cuisine de Simona said...

These muffins look delicious!

Katerina said...

They look to die for and I bet they tasted better than the store bought!

pam said...

Oh, you definitely win!

I Wilkerson said...

I had read a couple years ago that their pumpkin lattes didn't have any pumpkin in them. Don't know about their muffins, but I'd totally go with yours...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hi Grace! I made these muffins the other day and they were amazingly good! I loved them so much I rushed to put them up on the blog yesterday! :P Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I'm suuuuper competititive too. I have to the first, best and most efficient while doing it. I know what I'm not good at though...but your muffins look AMAZING. You win. Totally.

Chineka @ Savor The Baking said...

These muffins look so beautiful and the flavor combination is on point. :-)