A Southern Grace: jimmy crack corn...

May 19, 2014

jimmy crack corn...

Yum

...and I do care! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to corn season in these parts. I forget how much I love that stuff until something random reminds me of it. Corn is awesome.


The same restaurant that serves some amazing tacos also happens to make some of the tastiest corn on the cob I've ever eaten. They call it Mexican street corn, and it's served on a stick, dripping with some sort of mayonnaise-cilantro-cheese mixture that gets all over your face but tastes so outstanding that you couldn't care less. You could be on a first date with the person of your dreams but you still won't pause from eating this corn to wipe your mouth. Even if you were dining with your boss, or a prospective employer, or your boyfriend's parents, or your favorite celebrity, you'd keep eating. Yeah, it's that good.


My re-creation isn't quite as amazing (yet), but it's close. What makes it so delicious, you ask? First, the corn kernels get charred, which I love. I used my cast-iron skillet and it did the job well. Secondly, there's not too much mayonnaise involved, just enough to give a bit of its tell-tale tang to the dish. You can add more, of course, but I opted to use some sour cream instead. Cilantro, a provider of another of my favorite flavors, is also there. If you've never had cotija cheese, do your best to find it, as it's really quite good. You can use feta instead, if you must. Either way, be generous with it. The one thing I'd change is to leave out or at least decrease the amount of scallions--they just dominated everything a bit too much for my tastes, but adjust as you see fit.

This is a DELICIOUS side dish, especially if you love corn as much as this gal.

Salad Meant to Taste Like Mexican Street Corn But Eaten With a Fork (or Spoon)
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 ounces feta or cotija cheese, finely crumbled
  • 1/2 cup finely sliced scallion greens
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and stemmed, finely chopped
  • 1 to 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced on a microplane grater (about 1 to 2 teaspoons)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • Sprinkle of paprika or chile powder
Directions:
Melt butter in a large non-stick or cast-iron skillet over high heat.
Add corn kernels, season to taste with salt, toss once or twice, and cook without moving until charred on one side, about 2 minutes.
Toss corn, stir, and repeat until charred on second side, about 2 minutes longer.
Continue tossing and charring until well charred all over, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add mayonnaise, sour cream, cheese, scallions, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, and lime juice and toss to combine.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt to taste.
Sprinkle the top with more cheese and paprika or chile powder, then serve immediately.

23 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

Amazing! I've had corn on the cob like that before and absolutely loved it. Trying it this way seems like a great idea!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I used to love corn only in desserts, but eating Mexican corn smothered in mayo and cheese changed my mind. I like this skillet/salad version!

Barbara said...

Wow...that looks fabulous, Grace. Already saved the recipe. Corn is one of my favorite summer things...do you ever see bantam corn anyplace? We used to in Michigan. Loved those tender small ears.

vanillasugarblog said...

Oh hey now, what a fabulous idea!
Now we can have bowlfulls of this and not have to worry about the mess.
Excellent idea Grace!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

What a delicious twist on corn, one of my favourite snacks :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Joanne said...

I actually think I'd rather eat Mexican corn from a bowl like this instead of off the cob. As much fun as getting all those bits and pieces stuck in my teeth is...

Angie's Recipes said...

I usually won't touch Mayonnaise, but I am willing to try this. It looks SUPER!

lisa is cooking said...

I'm right there with you with a love for corn. Our local fresh corn is finally here! Love this street corn off the cob version!

Marjie said...

I always cut my corn off the cob anyway. Everyone laughs at me. This looks like a great variation on a summer classic!

Blond Duck said...

Sounds delectable!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

What a great idea to turn it into a salad. I can't wait to give it a try when fresh corn hits the farm stands.

Unknown said...

Oh wow! this by itself could be a meal. i would need nothing else. Yum

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Corn is one of my favourite things ever and we get that corn on the cob that you describe so well! It's so delicious and your version looks fab Grace!

Anonymous said...

Grace, wow to your recipes and bravo on making this...we feel it better than Mexican corn (have tasted it) cause you can simply dig into this with a spoon... comfortable, scrumptious and a must must try for all corn lovers(we are in)....thanks :-)

Pam said...

Oh man... it looks TASTY!

Beth said...

This side dish looks spectacular. I'd love to try it!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Just as good but SO much easier to eat than the "on the cob" version. Sweet corn season is right around the corner! :)

Caroline Taylor said...

I love the sound of this as I love corn and am always looking for new things to do with it.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

It was probably the same day you posted this, I made almost the same salad, and LOVED it. I didn't use sour cream in mine, so will try that next time. My little town didn't have cojita, so next time I am planning ahead to have that on hand

I Wilkerson said...

Wow--that does look good. Here hoping for a good CSA corn harvest this year!

Unknown said...

I made this for our barbecue yesterday. My family was very skeptical as they saw me making it. Corn fried in butter is a family favorite and they thought I was "ruining" it with the other ingredients! Everyone LOVED it! Thank you for a great recipe. I will be making it again.

grace said...

@Debbi: I'm so glad ya'll enjoyed it--it's already become a staple for us!

Becki said...

We had our first sweet corn last week and it wasn't too bad! I love Mexican corn but yeah it does get a little messy. Love your version.