A Southern Grace: now's the time for lemon and lime

April 6, 2014

now's the time for lemon and lime

Yum

Whose bright idea was it to put these two too-tart ingredients together in the first place? And who's responsible for propagating it? Because now it's everywhere and in everything.


It astounds me how many sodas, sports drinks, jelly beans, lollipops, popsicles, and candies have been contaminated with the flavor of lemon-lime. I'm exaggerating, of course, but I'm not what one would call a fan of tart on tart, especially in my desserts. I like sweet on sweet (on sweet)!

Bad news for me: Many of the folks for whom I bake like that sour touch to their desserts, and so I must capitulate. That was unusually easy to do when I was sent a boxed mix for Lemon Bars from Krusteaz. Rather than make the mix as instructed, I decided to incorporate some key lime juice and rum to give it a more complex and tropical flavor. It worked well, and though lemon was still the predominant flavor, I could taste both the lime (subtly) and rum (more strongly).


Though I'm sure this mix would be delicious as-is, it was extra tasty this way. They're a perfect easy treat for Easter! Find a lot more ideas from Krusteaz here.

Laced Lemon Lime Bars
Serves 8
Ingredients:
  • 1 Krusteaz Lemon Bar Mix (1 pouch each lemon filling mix and complete crust)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons light rum
  • 3 tablespoons key lime juice
  • Powdered sugar, as garnish
Directions:
Prepare Kruzteaz Lemon Bar Mix according to package directions except omit the 1/3 cup water in the filling and stir in rum and lime juice.
Bake crust and filling according to package directions. Chill for 4 hours for easier cutting. Cut into 16 bars.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and lemon and lime zest, if desired. Cover and store in the refrigerator.

22 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love citrussy things - the more the merrier! This dessert looks really good, and better for your additions.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Exquisitely citrusy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Rosita Vargas said...

Se ve muy rica el corte es perfecto quiero un trozo para tomar té,abrazos

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Grace:)

I've actually used that mix more than once and have even "played" with it a couple of times. (not as successful I'm afraid) The addition of rum and key lime juice sounds like it would balance quite nicely. I tried adding a bit more tartness because I do enjoy puckering once in a while. However, my liquid substitute was Tequila which didn't give it the flavor I was seeking.

Thanks so much for sharing, Grace...checking my cabinet for Krusteaz...

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I love citrus desserts so I know i would enjoy this!

Beth said...

I'm both a tart-on-tart and sweet-on-sweet fan. But it's hard for me to beat lemon and lime together!

Velva said...

Love the pop citrus adds to baked goods….I like sweet on tart myself :-)

Barbara said...

I love that tart/sweet combo. Your bars look delish, made more so by the addition of rum!

Pam said...

I actually can't handle super sweet sweets. To me, lemon or lime desserts are the best combination. I love that these bars have both lemon & lime! They look tasty Grace.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Adding rum to lemon and lime is a WONDERFUL idea!

Caroline Taylor said...

I like lemon and lime together so this sounds great.

I Wilkerson said...

I love lemon and lime separately, so I'm pretty sure I'd love them together!

Angie's Recipes said...

Sweet and tangy..that's how I love my desserts. This looks scrumptious.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I love lemon, lime anything citrusy :D
Delicious looking dessert!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Katerina said...

I love lemon flavor but the one who adores it is my husband! Beautiful tart Grace!

Becki's Whole Life said...

Ohhh...what a great idea to add a little run to your lemon-lime bars. I love citrus flavored desserts - especially if there is a buttery crust involved. I have never tried the Krusteaz products, but I might grab a box to have on hand.

Joanne said...

I feel like most lemon-lime stuff just tastes generically sweet-sour though. But this, I'm sure is genuinely sour on sour. Which I, admittedly, love.

Juliana said...

OMG! This look so good...the creamy layer with the flaky crust...I must try this...now!
Thanks for the recipe Grace...have a wonderful week :D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe I'm one of those lemon lime lovers! I like a bit of contrast but tart with sweet is a real winner for me :)

Blond Duck said...

A tropical delight!

Erica said...

I love citrus deserts and this looks amazing,Grace!

vanillasugarblog said...

A huge vote yes on combining the two!
Yes yes yes!!!