A Southern Grace: comfort in a cupcake

November 18, 2012

comfort in a cupcake

Yum


Of all the comfort foods in all the lands, you'll find banana pudding near the top of my favorites list. Even though it's not always the most delicious thing in the world and it's a nightmare to photograph, there's something special about it that triggers a neuron or twenty in my brain and leads me to say, "Aaaaaah."


I know we don't really need an improved comfort food delivery system, but thinking about that is what sparked the idea for these cupcakes. Why not try to transform my beloved banana pudding into an eat-on-the-go cupcake? Let's face it--we don't just need comfort foods when we're sitting at home with all the time in the world. Sometimes the comfort needs to come with us!


I used my tried-and-true banana cupcakes, which you've seen many times before, but I baked them atop a 'Nilla wafer. The filling is a rich, creamy vanilla pudding and the frosting is vanilla buttercream. The finishing touch is a sprinkle of 'Nilla wafer crumbs (because let's face it--there is no substitution).


These were good, but they need tweaking. There's not enough banana flavor, so I'm considering adding small dices of banana to the pudding inside. Any suggestions?

Banana Pudding Cupcakes
Makes 28
Ingredients:
One batch of banana cupcakes

Vanilla pudding filling:

  • 2-2/3 cups milk, divided
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg

One batch of vanilla buttercream frosting
28 'Nilla wafers, plus crumbs for garnish

Directions:
Make the pudding first. Bring 2 cups of the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. While it is heating, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in the bottom of a medium, heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in the remaining 2/3 cup whole milk, a little at a time so lumps do not form, then whisk in the egg. Once milk is boiling, very gradually add it to the cornstarch mixture in the bowl, whisking the whole time. Return the mixture back to the saucepan, stirring constantly with a silicon spatula or wooden spoon. Once it comes to a simmer, cook it for one minute longer (which will cook the cornstarch and egg fully). Stir in vanilla extract, cover, and chill in refrigerator until fully set, at least 2 hours.

While the pudding is setting up, make the cupcakes as directed but put one 'Nilla wafer in the bottom of each cupcake liner. Let them cool completely after baking. Also make the frosting and have it ready to go.

To fill the cupcakes, carve out a fairly large cone-shaped hole and carefully spoon the vanilla pudding inside. Apply frosting generously to cupcakes, sprinkle the tops with the 'Nilla wafer crumbs, and devour.

28 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wonderfully comforting!

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

How about adding some chunks of dried banana somewhere? They have that lovely intense caramelly banana chew to them.

Beth said...

I hope you're not shocked to hear that I've never eaten banana pudding. I only ate chocolate pudding when I was growing up, and I don't often do puddings now. Your cupcakes are so beautiful - be sure to let us know when you figure out how to increase the banana flavor!

Leslie said...

Ohhh yes..totally add bananas to the pudding!!!!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Mmmm this would definitely make me smile :D
Heavenly!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

vanillasugarblog said...

exactly my kind of cupcake!

Louisa said...

Adding chunks of banana sounds like a good plan! Speaking of comfort, there is nothing more comforting to me than my mums banana bread and a cup of tea.

Dianne said...

Oh my goodness! That looks so good! Will definitely have to try this one.

Katerina said...

So fluffy and tasty! I wish I was the one who made the bite!

lisa is cooking said...

Banana cake is always so tender and delicious, and I love the nilla wafer crumbs on top of the frosting! For a little more banana, how about a slice of banana nestled in the pudding filling?

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today said...

I think the only thing to write about it would be: WOW!

Unknown said...

I need to stop coming to your site I really do. I get hungry each and every time. Your flavour combos are always wicked good.

Sue/the view from great island said...

Pure comfort food! Yum!!

Blond Duck said...

Now you've got me craving banana pudding from my FIL's restaurant....

Savor The Baking said...

Wow....my husband would love these, since he is a banana pudding fan, I bet they taste great.

Joanne said...

So...here's something you're going to think is insane. I've never had banana pudding! What is WRONG with me. Totally making these cupcakes though...to make up for it.

Faith said...

Banana pudding is high on my list too! I love the Nilla wafers on the bottom...and diced banana sounds like it would be perfect to help highlight the flavor of banana!

Blond Duck said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa-Marie said...

I can't help but think these would be a really good travelling breakfast. These are also on The List!

I Wilkerson said...

Aren't bananas the perfect flavor for anything sweet! Clever with the Nilla Wafers! Happy Thanksgiving!

Erica said...

What a great idea,Grace! I actually love banana pudding....these cupcakes sound and look amazing! Happy Thanksgiving :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I find banana-based desserts very comforting, too. I wish I had one of these for dessert later :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Lynda said...

You know I love banana anything Grace-these cupcakes are calling my name from far away..... I want them now!
I can't think that these cupcakes are not perfect, but I remember a recipe for banana pudding that may help you, or give you an idea.
Cook's country made a banana pudding using oven roasted bananas. They roasted bananas for 20 minutes at 325. Let them cool and then pureed in a proccessor with some lemonjuice. I think it sounds like more work, but I'm sure it would be tasty, although I wonder if it still would turn a little dark.If you'd like the recipe, email me and I'll send it.

so happy turkey day to you and your family Grace!

Kerstin said...

Ah, this is such a great idea! I would try to work in some caramelized bananas somehow - soo good :)

Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh i just came back from the States and I have a box of Nilla wafers in my possession :P I'm armed and dangerous!

Jeff @ Cheeseburger said...

This is an excellent idea. Comfort food on the go.

Velva said...

I consider this extreme comfort food- Utterly amazing!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Velva

Carolyn Jung said...

Any baked good with bananas in it is tops in my book. So moist! ;)