A Southern Grace: all aboard!

September 27, 2011

all aboard!

Yum

I may have missed the cupcake train, but never fear--I hopped aboard a jigger and finally caught up.


My cupcake guru, so it would seem, is Martha Stewart. Specifically, I've been very much inspired by one of her books and find myself wanting to make the majority of the recipes. I've done her snickerdoodle cupcakes, coconut cupcakes, and hummingbird cupcakes, and have had no beef (in both senses of the word) with any of them.


Here are two more creations from my Cupcake Bible, one of which was far more successful than the other. The first is a take on the good ol' peanut butter cup--chocolate cupcake and peanut butter frosting. Simple, but oh-so-satisfying. The second batch was blueberries and cream, which seemed to give me lots of problems, not the least of which was that all the blueberries sunk to the bottom. The batter seemed stiff enough to hold them up, but it just didn't happen. As my standards with Martha's cupcake recipes go, this one was a disappointment.

I hope you don't mind that I was late to the party--those jiggers are hard to maneuver!

Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes (I love redundancy!)
(tweaked a bit from here and here)
(makes 12 cakelets)

Cupcakes:
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream

Frosting:
6 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup creamy peanut butter (not natural)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners. Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour.
Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar with a mixer on medium speed. Add salt, then peanut butter, then vanilla. Whisk cream until soft peaks form, and then fold into peanut butter mixture. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Blueberries & Cream Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (there it is again!)
(more Martha)
(makes 30 standard or 60 mini)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk, room temperature
2 cups fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish

cream cheese frosting

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard or mini muffin tins with paper liners.
Whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each. Fold in blueberries by hand.
Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until pale golden, about 25 minutes for standard and 15 for mini.
Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature in airtight containers.

51 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I always drool over here!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Both look AMAZING. I could just dive into a bowl of the peanut butter frosting.

pam said...

I totally missed the whole baking train! But I think I'm going to have hurl myself aboard for those first cupcakes!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm drooling all over my keyboard... Those cupcakes look amazing.

Cheers,

Rosa

Joanne said...

Martha's cupcake cookbook is one of my favorites as well! Better late than never...especially if you come bearing cupcakes. these look fabulous!

Becki's Whole Life said...

These both look great. At first I thought that your blueberry cupcake was just a layered cupcake - they still look and sound wonderful. I have made a few of Martha's cupcakes as well and have had pretty good success. I need to try the snickerdoodles.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I could never refuse either Grace.

shaz said...

I don't care if the berries sunk to the bottom Grace, the colour is SO pretty. And it looks like a cool different layer anyway. But my heart is definitely over there with the peanut butter-chocolate cupcake. Droolworthy.

Sue/the view from great island said...

When I need a cupcake fix, I come here. You just have a way of photographing them that I just love. You've also inspired me to get the 'bible'.

Sarah M. said...

You make me want to drive head first off of my health food drive. Darn you! And I mean that in a good way.

Von said...

I'm not too much of a fan of cupcakes, but your looks especially delicious- I love the sound of the peanut butter cup one!! Love the combination of the peanut butter and chocolate cupcake- and the cupcake looks so choclatey! :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Holy cow, sign me up! Peanut butter and chocolate is a match made in heaven.

The Teacher Cooks said...

Yum for the peanut butter and chocolate. I love the two together. Next time mix a little of the flour with the blueberries. It might keep them from sinking. They still looked delicious, though!

Tia said...

martha is my go to gal too for so many recipes. they are all winners! yours look fabulous.

Mel said...

Darn blueberries! Why do they always have to sink?? Either way, both cupcakes look amazing. I'm not opposed to blueberries, EVER, even if they are sinkers.

Unknown said...

Always love stopping by because no matter what you make it looks and sounds amazing! Proven once again, Peanut butter and chocolate... two things this girl can't live without!!!!
Laura @ A Healthy JalapeƱo

Anonymous said...

The peanut butter cup ones look amazing! I love cupcakes because it's like a mini cake for everyone! Plus you can be all cutesy and stuff. But I'm not going to lie, there is something deeply rewarding about icing a two-layered cake!

Kelli said...

I agree with The Teacher Cooks, I've always heard if you toss something in flour, it helps keep it from sinking-berries, nuts, chocolate chips.
And either way, they look awesome, just call them blueberry bottom cupcakes.

Unknown said...

You certainly have caught up to the cupcake train and I'd say even come out ahead. These are fabulous

vanillasugarblog said...

good pic!
i didn't know there was a cupcake train. cupcake bus yes, but not train ;-)

scrambledhenfruit said...

I missed the train and the jigger too. Btw, you taught me something new there! Both of those cupcakes look delectable, even with the sunken blueberries. :)

Gloria Baker said...

Im literally drooling dear Grace!!! look georgeous, love your pictures, always are amazing! gloria

Lisa-Marie said...

If a couple of each could get in my belly just now, that would be lovely!

Robin said...

Oh my that shot of the peanut butter cupcake is killing me. My Ma told me that if you toss the blueberries with a bit of the dry ingredients then toss them in, they won't sink. She has yet to steer me wrong- yet!

Hungry Dog said...

Those are both very pretty. I am particularly partial to the choco peanut butter ones-can never resist that combo!

Juliana said...

Grace, can I try both? They look so tempting, wouldn't know which one to start with. Love the pictures!
Hope you are having a fantastic week :-)

~~louise~~ said...

I missed the boat all together but my oh my, your cupcakes are calling All Aboard!

Funny thing about these two favorites of mine. I don't like peanut butter or blueberries unless they are bogged down in deliciousness.

I'm in heaven but my coffee is needing a side-kick!

Thanks for sharing, Grace...Simply lovely...

Erica said...

Both cupcakes look amazing!Love your pictures and I would love to try the first one!

lisa is cooking said...

The blueberries and cream sounds delicious wherever those berries end up in the cake! And, those peanut butter cupcakes are fabulousness in a small cake.

Jaime said...

those both look mouth watering. i think i need a special delivery of cupcakes from you :)

Cara said...

I can think of far worse things than a "disappointing" cupcake :)

Kerstin said...

I'd like one of each please - yum!! So glad you caught the jigger :)

Barbara said...

The blueberry cupcake looks wonderful, Grace. No matter where the blueberries end up.

I had no idea that was called a jigger!

Medifast Coupons said...

Two very nice cupcake recipes, that Martha sure knows what she is doing. Thanks for sharing.

Marjie said...

I don't think you missed the cupcake train. I think you lead it.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe Grace I disagree-you definitely did not miss the cupcake train at all! :D

Carolyn Jung said...

The cupcake train is still chugging along. Just hop aboard. ;)

Nic said...

I'll have to check that book out, the cupcakes look deeee-licious!
Congrats on becoming an auntie! xx

pierre said...

you took your time and that's great Bravo !!pierre

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh that looks so freaking yummy! I have missed you girl and your gorgeous recipes!

Catherine said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos, Grace!!
These sounds splendid!

Blessings, Catherine

Julie M. said...

I hate when blueberries sink. They still look delicious though and those chocolate ones look incredible! Glad you got on the cupcake train!

The Blonde Duck said...

Fried Green tomatoes was on last night and I thought of you!

Jackie @Syrup and Biscuits said...

As a recovering Reese's Peanut Butter Cup addict, I will have to say the Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes look dangerously delicious!

Pam said...

I was thinking the blueberries looked really pretty on the bottom of the cupcake. The peanut butter one would be a huge hit with my kids.

oneordinaryday said...

Too bad the blueberry cupcakes didn't live up to your expectations, but those pb cup cupcakes more than make up for it, in my humble opinion!

PG said...

I know it wasn't the plan, but the blueberry cupcake actually looks cool -- like a blueberry version of a black bottom cupcake.

Emily Malloy said...

I'll take 12

Rosita Vargas said...

Luce hermosa muy bien elaborada una belleza,cerca de la pantalla es una tentaciĆ³n querida grace,abrazos grandes,hugs,hugs

Angie's Recipes said...

I always love your cupcake creations..esp. the beautifully piped swirls..just marvelous.

kimberleyblue said...

I too am a fan of Martha's baking. Her cakes always turn out well.

Your cakes also look great! Even though the berries fell, the bright blue at the bottom is still eye-catching. And both of them look so moist and wonderful.