A Southern Grace: pudd'nhead

June 16, 2009

pudd'nhead

Yum

My respect for the Amish has just risen, and it's all due to an idea that may or may not have even started with them.


I know you've heard of Amish Friendship Bread, the chain letter of the baking world. Although I don't have the actual starter used for such breads, I do have Eb, and he hasn't let me down yet.

The most exciting thing for me about this notion of Amish Friendship Bread isn't the fact that you're supposed to pass some starter on to friends and neighbors. Nope, what thrills and interests me is the fact that pudding mix is involved in the recipe.

Does it add moistness or bulk, or is it merely there for a little extra flavor? After one go-round, my theory is that it's there for all of the above reasons. The bread is definitely moist and dense, more so than what I usually find in my sourdough breads. Further, the flavor provided by the pudding mix (coconut cream, in this fabulous case) was the best part of the final product as far as I'm concerned.


Good googa mooga...literally.

Heck, just think of the variations here! This time, I used coconut cream pudding, macadamia nuts, and white chocolate chips. Next time, I'd like to try butterscotch pudding with toffee bits and dark chocolate. There's banana cream pudding, oreo pudding, pistachio pudding, lemon pudding, white chocolate pudding, cheesecake pudding. So many nuts, so many baking chips, so many possibilities. Just thrilling.

This particular version was amazing--it disappeared so quickly at work that for a moment, I was afraid someone had just gone ahead and dumped it all in the trash (what can I say, that's the way my mind works). The macadamias provided a nice salty crunch, and the white chocolate chips were there for a pleasant burst of sweetness. As I'm a big fan of coconut (not only eating it, but also smelling like it--I consider it a wonderful incentive to wear sunscreen), the fact that its subtle but distinct flavor permeated the loaf was the best part for me.

Say...do the Amish even use store-bought pudding mixes?

Tropical Friendship Bread
(personalized from this recipe)

1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce (I used
Beech-nut Homestyle Cinnamon, Raisins & Pears)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup
sourdough starter
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 (3.4 oz) boxes instant coconut cream pudding
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F. Grease down whatever molds you intend to use (I filled up 8 mini loaves).
In a large bowl, mix the oil, applesauce, eggs, milk, starter, vanilla, and sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, pudding mix, nuts, and chips. Add this to the liquid mixture and stir thoroughly.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake until done. Apparently, this takes at least an hour for regular loaves, and took around 45 minutes for my mini loaves. Cool completely before slicing.

53 comments:

Barbara said...

Well that recipe is sure crammed with goodies! I love that you go into such details with your ingredients. (I didn't even know there was instant coconut cream pudding! Guess I better meander into that grocery aisle and pay attention.)

Christo Gonzales said...

I have three starters in my freezer - time to get crackin'on this moist and tasty bread again....macadamia nuts and coconut sound perfect

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

hehe I think I'd push someone out of the way George Costanza style to get a piece of this! :P

Ingrid_3Bs said...

We don't have all those pudding flavors here. I want coconut cream pudding!

I've had the starter and each I've used it my loaves were awesome though I do have to say the original cinnamon one has been my fave.

noble pig said...

That is the best friendship bread I've heard of...I love it!

Maria said...

Wow, this bread has it all! Looks delicious!

Culinary Wannabe said...

You seriously thought someone would throw this in the trash?! At my old office, you could serve up a plate of cardboard and it would be devoured by the end of the day. Those people are savages! And your different combo ideas have me absolutely drooling!

Anonymous said...

my mom used to keep a couple of these starters in her freezer. maybe i need to get her to send me one. :-)

lisa is cooking said...

That looks incredible with the macadamia nuts! The texture looks moist and amazing.

Lisa said...

Great idea! Another way to get coconut flavor without coconut texture, which sometimes bothers me. I also like the other flavor possibilities you mention.

I do think pudding mix adds something appealing to breads and cakes. It seems to hold it together and adds a nice texture. I know it makes cakes easier to sculpt for decorating.

eatme_delicious said...

Mmmm this sounds like the perfect bread! I've never seen cheesecake pudding - sounds good too mm.

Pam said...

Hello beautiful bread, may I have a slice or two please? This looks FANTASTIC!

Maris said...

This sounds amazing. Kind of half a half Amish, half Hawaiian bread! :)

kat said...

Lol, I was so thinking the same question as you about the Amish using store bought pudding mix.

OhioMom said...

Lots going on with this bread, and all of it good! If you bake me some I will be your friend :)

Lindsey said...

I just made friendship bread recently as well, and also pondered whether or not the Amish actually use store bought pudding in the bread...and cook and serve is getting harder and harder to find these days!

Jessica@FoodMayhem said...

That does look incredibly moist. I'm going to have to buckle down and start my own Eb one day.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Love the name of this bread. The ingredient combo sounds divine!

Marjie said...

I'm one of the few coconut fans in my house, sadly. I do love a good butterscotch, and even hide it in baked goods upon occasion. And if the Amish are as smart as they appear, I believe they'd sneak off to the supermarket for some instant pudding. 5 minutes to goodness, after all!

LilSis said...

This looks much better than the loaf of Amish Bread that I received several months ago. I love the coconut, macadamia nuts, and the white chocolate chips. It sounds like an excellent combo!

Aleta said...

This looks moist and yummy. Yet another new recipe I've never heard of!

unconfidentialcook said...

I love the idea of pudding in bread--bet it's as delicious as it looks.

Zoe said...

MMMM! Love coconut! Looks moist and delicious

Cookie baker Lynn said...

I, too, have wondered whether the Amish use boxed pudding mix. Is this truly authentic? In any case, this looks truly delicious!

pam said...

I can't believe you even considered that this was possibly thrown in the trash. Someone probably carted off a big portion of it back to their desk to eat in private!

Abby said...

I doubt they use the box stuff, but I don't care. I want some. That macadamia nut is CALLING ME.

Jaime said...

looks so moist and delicious! i also used pudding mix in a choc chip cookie recipe, it was great

you have to get an ice cream maker - i am sure you thin like a toothpick ;)

Hornsfan said...

Tasty - this sounds delectable, can't wait to test this recipe out!

Lori said...

I made this last sumer with white chocolate cheesecake pudding. Yum. It is delicious. I love the coconut idea.

Its funny I go to an Amish market. THey well pudding mix in bulk. So I think you have a good question. Maybe I will ask them the next time I go.

Juliana said...

Such a great idea...coconut cream pudding, macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips...is this heaven or what? Just lovely...

Chef Fresco said...

My friends and I used to pass around the Amish friendship bread in high-school. I miss it! Thanks for the recipe, I am definitely going to have to make it for old times sake! Yum!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I've made this wonderful bread before, as recent as last winter, but your version is amazing!Each bite must be decadent... thanks for sharing this one, Grace!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

That sounds awesome. I'll have mine with a cup of coffee.

foodhoe said...

Both versions sound so good. Do you have to have a sourdough starter? I'm afraid it will run away from neglect...

Jacque said...

Oh, yea, that sounds like my kind of recipe. Good, and lots of variations (I'm thinking pistachio...).

Please tell me where you work so I can apply for a job, LOL.

Emily said...

I've got to try this bread, Grace! I love that this has pudding in it.

Robin said...

And here I have thought I have seen every type of friendship bread and you bring on a new one! This was a big thing to do in the 90's and at one time I had too many of the things and had to commit friendship breadocide. Sad.

Jeff said...

I live near Amish and by far they have to make the world's best pies. Along with pies they can raise animals that are tasty and vegetables the size of a small child. However, they are some weird people.

Never tried the friendship bread but I like the idea of using puddling bread.

♥Rosie♥ said...

I do love the name friendship bread and I would definitely like to try a slice or two ;0)

Unknown said...

Goodness more chopped macadamia nuts recipes I know the rest was my part but I feel I have to try every recipe there is. thanks for this one.it looks great.

Melanie said...

Pudding mixes definitely give you endless variations and the coconut/macadamia combo is brilliant!

Risa said...

I love baking with pudding. I definitely thinks it adds moisture.

The Blonde Duck said...

Grace, you've got me drooling. Pudding and bread and coconut....droooolll...

Sandy said...

Oh, ya ... that pudding just makes the best cake- and the starter.

YUM.

Miss ya, girl!

Anonymous said...

Ya'll are funny! My mom grew up Amish, and yes, they use pudding mixes too, just like everyone uses toilet paper. Wait, I'm not sure folks in West Va do, they might use old newspapers, or is it corncobs..

MaryBeth said...

I too am drooling up a storm, this looks so good can you pass the milk?

Peter M said...

The photos oozes moistness and I'm just relieved I don't have to wear a funny Amish hat!

Penny said...

This is such a wonderfully unique bread. I need to get my own Eb.

Paula said...

The best quick bread I ever had was from an Amish starter! It had pudding mix in it, and was chocolate and cinnamon flavored. Of course now I want this. An entire pan for myself. Now. :-)

Sophie said...

You know, I've never had any version of this bread before, and I always wondered what puddings role was in baked goods -- my latest obsession is buttermilk :P, I might have to switch to pudding from the looks of this, though :0).

Shari said...

This looks so incredibly moist and delicious! YUM. Macadamia nuts with coconut flavoring Mmmmmmmmmmm. Great photos!

Tabitha Blue said...

Ok, I was just reading along and hit the coconut cream pudding part and started drooling... and literally licking my lips. Now I have to get of my bum and go to the kitchen thanks to you.


:)
~Tabitha

Laura said...

I love smelling like a coconut myself. :) Looks great.