A Southern Grace: a cinnamon celebration

January 13, 2009

a cinnamon celebration

Yum

The community of food bloggers is an amazing group of people. They entertain and amuse, provide many a feast for the eyes, and are always quick with an encouraging word. I’ve been amazed by the generosity of my fellow bloggers, and I'd like to thank you all for everything you do!



I recently received the gift of all gifts, Vietnamese cinnamon bark, from two separate sources. Todd & Diane, the White on Rice Couple, took it upon themselves to send me some simply because they knew about my cinnamon obsession. Then, immediately thereafter, I was the oh-so-fortunate winner of a sampling of the bark from Krysta of Evil Chef Mom. Imagine my delight—so much cinnamon, and all for me!

In light of the new year and that resolution thing, I’ve decided to share my bounty. It’s hard, believe you me, because this is some powerfully amazing stuff. I’ll show you a couple of the things I’ve used it in soon, but in the meantime, I want to hold a little contest.


To enter, all you have to do is make a recipe containing at least one teaspoon of cinnamon, although more is encouraged. Send it to me at asoutherngrace @ gmail . com using the subject "Cinnamon Celebration" by February 13, along with a picture of your creation, your name, the name of your blog, and the link to your post.

Also, please link this page in your post and feel free to display the slightly illegible little logo below. If you don't have a blog but would like to participate, just send me your recipe, your name, and a picture, if desired.

*UPDATE: Although I'd prefer a new post, you can certainly submit a dish that you've already discussed.


The challenge is officially open when this post goes up and will close at 12 pm EST on Friday, February 13th. (However, I’ve been known to be pretty flexible about such things...) A round-up will follow shortly thereafter (hopefully right in time for Valentine's Day!).

I hope you’ll enter and do what you can to bring attention to the best spice in all the lands. I’ll use that ubiquitous random number generator to pick a winner, and that person will receive a bit of my Vietnamese cinnamon stash. And trust me, if you like cinnamon at all, you’ll want to win.

40 comments:

kat said...

Hmmm time to get the thinking cap on

Y said...

What a great challenge! I know exactly what I want to do as a contribution. All I need now is a bit of free time!

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

http://cooking-up-a-storm-zaayeka.blogspot.com/2009/01/sesame-speculaas-makar-sankranti.html

this is my entry..yay!

Anonymous said...

I love a challenge! It's On!!!

Off to find my cinnamon :-)

Alejandra Ramos said...

I love this contest! And I love Vietnamese Cinnamon. I'm definitely entering.

Chef Fresco said...

I'm intrigued. We will have to see what delicacy we can come up with. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Oh heck yeah. I'm on it! Do you want strictly new posts or are more aged ones in the running as well?

Joie de vivre said...

Oooh, how fun!

OhioMom said...

Oh yeah, count me in too! I have a recipe I have been wanting to try :)

Tabitha Blue said...

Ok, that sounds like fun and I can't wait to see all the great cinnamon recipes... I'll have to think about that one!!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

Paula said...

Mmmmm ... cinnammmmmon! Looking forward to seeing all the recipes that are submitted!

Anonymous said...

Great idea and SO you! I'm definitely going to enter :)

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

As soon as I saw the first cinnamon pic (great pic btw), I got excited for you, knowing how much you love cinnamon and all...

Vera said...

It sounds great, Grace! I'm sure in!

pam said...

How fun! I'm in!

Lori said...

Kat said exactly what I was going to say.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, shhhh, I'm thinking.

toontz said...

I probably use more cinnamon than any other spice that I own. I just love that spice! And Saigon cinnamon is the best. I will be thinking about my best cinnamon recipe-it might be hard to narrow it down.

LyB said...

OK, first off, I love that first pic. Love it! :)
Now, I'll have to think of something real cinnamony for your event. I have a few ideas. :)

Jaime said...

ok - here is my question to you.... my mom gave me some of this stuff... and i am not sure how to use it. i mean, i have a microplane and i have a coffee grinder dedicated to spices..but do you wash it first, and then let it dry before using? it doesn't look very clean :P

Anonymous said...

i'm so intimidated at making recipes. i feel like everything's already been created!! of course that is not true though =)

your cinnamon photos are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah.....count me in. I'm new here, but I'm game.

Anonymous said...

Time for a cinnamon stick upgrade after this post. My stash is losing its bite :)

Anonymous said...

In reply to Jaime: You don't need to wash it first, despite appearance it's perfectly clean and was inspected when entering the country. The microplane route is fine for garnishing with cinnamon, but to bring out real flavor for cooking, use the coffee mill and a sifter if you have one. The Vietnamese cinnamon is the best one for grinding fresh; the pretty Indonesian sticks you usually find come from the more visually appealing bark on the tops of the trees (first cut) instead of the uglier but far more flavorful bark towards the bottom. With the Vietnamese cassia, it's high enough oil to get great flavor from any of the bark.

Aimée said...

I have a pretty sweet cinnamon source, so I'll see what I can come up with!

Sophie said...

Oh gosh, I'm definitely doing this!!! Super excited, I'm in loooove with cinnamon :).

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

I'm obsessed with cinnamon. I put at least 1t of cinnamon in my morning oatmeal every day. Never ventured into the other types of cinnamon, just cheap store-brand. I suppose I'll have to try it one way or another. Count me in, I'll submit my recipe soon!

Elle said...

Oh nice--I just made some muffins I can submit to this!

Jeanne said...

Mmm, I do love cinnamon. Let me see if I can find something suitable to make!

MaryBeth said...

I really want some of your overabundance of cinnamon sticks, so we just posted our Apple Footballs into your contest. Pick Me!!!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

How did I miss this???? How?? Well I am in woman! In I say. Cinnamon for everyone, lol. I think I know what I'm going to make. Just you wait and see!

Julia said...

I've been following this vietnamese cinnamon and just got some myself (straight from Vietnam)! I have a few cinnamon posts coming up so I will send them along. Very exciting

Laura said...

Oooh I am so glad I caught this--I just invented my first cookie ;) and it is full of cinnamon. And pumpkin. Now I have a posting deadline I guess....

Susan @ SGCC said...

How in the world did I miss this? Luckily, I just made a delicious recipe with cinnamon today. I'm in!

Linds said...

Thanks so much for hosting! What a great event!

Anonymous said...

I tell yah. How in heck did I miss this? Dang. Hmmm...I got me some cinnamon scowl bread I haven't posted...mebbe just mebbe...

Anonymous said...

Just sent you my contribution (not a dessert at all, although there is something "sweet" in there). Thanks for hosting!

Sylvie

Deeba PAB said...

Just about missed this. Have an entry in pace now...just mailed you Grace. http://passionateaboutbaking.blogspot.com/2009/02/blueberry-oat-walnut-granola-barsyummy.html

Junell said...

I'm in;
http://abutterworld.blogspot.com/

Butterball

Unknown said...

Hi,
I just sent you an e-mail. I'm in.
Olga

Ivy said...

I hope I'm not too late. I'm sending you my entry right now.