A Southern Grace: pretty in pea

March 14, 2018

pretty in pea

Yum

Pea soup with coriander. Peas go with mint just about as well as chocolate goes with peanut butter. That's a fact.


So what's a gal to do when she's bound and determined to make pea soup but has no mint? The right answer is make something else. The wrong thing to do (which I, of course, did) is go ahead and make it anyway.

In lieu of mint, I chose dried coriander to flavor my pea soup. I've really grown fond of its taste and thought it might complement the peas. When all was said and done, my soup tasted like peas and...peas. There was a little bit of zip from my candied jalapenos (my surprising go-to soup ingredient!) and a little bit of herbaceousness from the coriander, but mostly, just peas.


So, if you really, really like peas (and fortunately, I do), make this soup! If not, do yourself a favor and use some mint to balance everything out.


(Woefully) Mintless Pea Soup
(printable recipe)
Serves 6
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 (12-ounce) bags frozen green peas
  • 10 candied jalapeno slices
  • 1 tablespoon dried ground coriander
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions:
Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion, and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onion is tender.
Add the chicken broth, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
Add the peas and jalapenos and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the peas are tender.
Off the heat, add the coriander, salt, and pepper.
Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Season to taste and serve.

16 comments:

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I'm intrigued by the candied jalapenos in here! I bet it's really tasty!

Angie's Recipes said...

Love green! The pea soup looks very tempting, Grace.

Agness of Run Agness Run said...

Yum! This is such a creamy dish which I can't wait to try, Grace. What kind of onion do you use for this recipe?

grace said...

@Agness: You got me again! I used a yellow onion but a white one would be awesome too!

Alicia Foodycat said...

This sounds good! I'd probably have used fresh or frozen coriander leaves (when you say coriander you mean the seeds, not the leaves, yes?) for the added green. The candied jalapenos sound like a brilliant addition!

grace said...

@Foodycat: Yes, I used dried ground coriander and I've edited the recipe to reflect that! If I had had some fresh or frozen cilantro leaves, I definitely would've added them--yum!

All That I'm Eating said...

I do love peas, and especially pea soup so mint or no mint I'd happily slurp up a bowl of this!

Tania|MyKitchenStories said...

This is the perfect soup as far as I am concerned Grace. Yum.

Marcelle said...

I wish, Evan liked pea soup so I could have an excuse to make it more often... or ever!! I think I just have to make a big batch all for myself. This soup sounds wonderful!

Inger@Art of Natural Living said...

Too funny Grace! I so know the feeling of a disappointing substitution! But it is beautiful!

Emma - Bake Then Eat said...

I love pea soup in all its forms so I’m sure this one is great Grace.

Pam said...

What a great combination! It looks pretty and delicious.

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

I love peas! And I love soup! I'm coming over for dinner next time you make this :)

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

What a surprising new direction to take your soup, candied jalapeƱos and coriander. It sounds different and good.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Oh yes, I would love this! And your secret ingredient of candied jalapenos? I'll take a bowl please!

Food Gal said...

Perfect ingenuity! Peas take so well to so many different herbs and spices. Coriander and candied jalapeno are inspired choices.