A Southern Grace: craving met

April 24, 2017

craving met

Yum

Peanut butter snack cake. I'm not saying weird pregnancy cravings aren't real--in fact, I'm sure they are--but I haven't really had any.


I did, however, really desire some sort of peanut butter dessert, and this snack cake hit the spot. It's SO tender and fluffy, and it has a good amount of peanut butter flavor. I added a little cardamom (because I'm suddenly obsessed with that spice) and cinnamon (because I'm always obsessed with that spice) and, like the recipe's creator, opted for a simple sprinkling of powdered sugar to complete the treat.


For the record, the things I like to eat now in this last quarter of pregnancy include and are limited to foods that have the smallest chance of giving me heartburn. Man, that stuff is brutal! This is no small sacrifice, because dilly beans (♥♥♥) and pizza are completely off the table. Even bananas and my beloved mashed potatoes do a number on me! I suppose I could just have a tiny portion, but come on--I can't be asked to stop at a mouthful of creamy and buttery mashed taters. Pregnancy ain't easy (but I wouldn't want it any other way!).

Easy Peanut Butter Cake (to make and to eat!)
Adapted slightly from this recipe
(printable recipe)
Serves 8-10
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease an 8-inch square pan (or something similar) and set it aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
In a medium bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth, then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
Let cool on a cooling rack.
Serve dusted with powdered sugar, if desired.

13 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love easy and delicious recipes like this..and the crumb looks so very soft and tender. Perfect!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've never been pregnant but I do have chronic reflux, so I understand your pain! I find low-carb meals in the evenings are the best way to get a better night's sleep. Although I guess when you are very pregnant you are getting up to pee every five minutes anyway.

This cake looks good. And it annoys me because I made a peanut butter bar today that wasn't as nice as this and if only I'd known I would have waited.

Gloria Baker said...

look absolutely delicious Grace!

Jackie Garvin said...

I've been out of touch a bit and didn't wasn't aware of your wonderful news! The baby is wonderful news. Heartburn, not so much. I hope things are going well for mama and baby. PS, that peanut butter snack cake looks scrumptious. I crave peanut butter and my cravings have nothing to do with pregnancy.

Unknown said...

Mmmm...peanut butter and cinnamon, such a great combo! It’s tough to find a cake recipe that has a prominent PB flavor without being heavy and dense, yours looks so fluffy, tender and perfect. Sorry about the heartburn (and the mashed potatoes) that sounds terribly uncomfortable.

grace said...

@Alicia Foodycat: Thanks for your tip about reflux-friendly suppers--I'll definitely give it a go! This is a really great cake, and when your next urge to bake with peanut butter comes, I highly recommend it!

Adina said...

This cake really has an amazing texture, I would love to give it try, I have never baked with peanut butter this way.

Pam said...

This is a great cake, Grace! Peanut butter is a favorite here and so is cardamom, love it in baked goods. Sorry about the heartburn, I remember that. Take care

Juliana said...

Grace, I have never had peanut butter cake, and this looks really easy...and the texture looks just so tender...my husband is a big fan of peanut butter...I might surprise him with this cake.
Thanks for the recipe...have a wonderful week ahead :)

Pamela @BrooklynFarmGirl said...

This cake looks really moist and yummy :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Good to hear that the pregnancy is going well (heartburn notwithstanding). Looks like a great cake recipe-love cardamom too!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Why has the idea of a peanut butter cake never occurred to me? Sounds like one the husband and I would fight over :)

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

My teacher used to say whatever you crave during pregnancy is what you kids loves to eat haha - it happens for her 3 kids (cheetos, cereal, and steak, in that order)