A Southern Grace: angeled eggs

April 27, 2017

angeled eggs

Yum

Cucumber dill cream cheese deviled eggs. Are you deviled egged out? I don't think I'll ever reach that point.


Yes, they're at every Easter table and every summer potluck, as well as in many picnic baskets, but I never seem to grow tired of them. After all, each cook makes his or hers differently. Some add relish, others add herbs. Some sweeten it a tad, others make it more savory with sriracha or Worcestershire sauce. Even different batches from the same cook taste different, and that's why I could never be done with them. They're never, ever the same.

My grandma is our family's deviled egg maker, and she taught me her process. It's something I've never forgotten, as it was the first time I really understood the taste-as-you-go mentality. She would try her puree and could immediately tell whether it needed more mustard, more salt, or more mayonnaise. She adds paprika (hilariously and endearingly pronounced pap-a-reeka), and so do I.


This batch has a definite twist, and I'm not sure Grandma would approve until she had a taste. I added a bit of cream cheese--cucumber dill flavored cream cheese, to be exact--for some added tanginess and richness. The cream cheese is available from Bruegger's Bagels for a limited time, and it's a wonderful option. It makes everything from a bagel to pasta salad brighter and more refreshing!

Here are the other spring specials:

*Seoul Sunrise Egg Sandwich, which starts with a fresh-cracked egg, savory pork sausage, red and green peppers and Korean chili sauce, made from mayo and a spicy Korean condiment known as gochujang, all on a sesame bagel.

*The Korean chili sauce also adds its unique flavor to the Touch of Seoul Sandwich, made with ham, Swiss, sliced cucumbers and red peppers on butter-toasted sourdough bread.

*Returning options include Sea Salt & Caramel Coffee, available hot or iced, and the spring fan favorite Ranch bagel, loaded with all the flavors of ranch dressing.

Cucumber Dill Cream Cheese Deviled Eggs
(printable recipe)
Serves 12
Ingredients:
  • 12 hardboiled eggs, peeled
  • 2 ounces Bruegger's Bagels Cucumber Dill cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
  • Paprika and sliced olives, for garnish
Directions:
Cut the eggs in half and remove the yolks.
Beat the cream cheese and mayonnaise together with a firm whip until fluffy.
Add in the egg yolks, mustard, sugar, vinegar, salt, and dill.
Beat until smooth and creamy, adding more mayonnaise if necessary to obtain the desired consistency.
Test for seasoning at this point and add more if needed.
Spoon or pipe the filling back into the egg whites and garnish with paprika and sliced olives, if desired.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

This post was written in partnership with Bruegger's Bagels. All opinions are my own.

9 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I should make and eat more deviled eggs because they are actually pretty good for us and not to mention tasty too.

Marjie said...

I could eat deviled eggs forever! I add shredded carrots to mine, along with chopped pickles, or relish if I don't want to chop. Your cream cheese sounds like a really good idea. And I always top with paprika; they just aren't done without it.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I can never get enough deviled eggs! These look delicious.

Gloria Baker said...

you know... these look really delicious !!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

I could never get tired of deviled eggs, love them. Your grandma sounds like a gem.

Kelsie said...

I love dill so I bet that cream cheese just makes these eggs unbelievably good. They're perfect for this time of year aren't they? Have a great weekend, Grace!

The Underground Restaurant Chef said...

I love a good deviled egg and dill sounds like a great add in. And don't you just love the older
Southern generation's language. Its slowly fading as we all get more "American" thanks to media and migration. But thank goodness the great taste a deviled eggs don't fade! I'll try this.

Food Gal said...

It's hard to ever resist a great deviled egg or two or three... And this rendition looks exceptional.

Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder said...

I love how perfect and pretty these are (egg-sellent work!)